“Good location and nice hotel.”
Review of Melia White House

Melia White House
Ranked #292 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed January 6, 2013

We stayed here from boxing day for a few nights and the hotel itself was really nice.The rooms are very small and so I would recommend upgrading to a larger room if you can.
The hotel facilities, location and layout are3 great and I would recommend it for those reasons. The problems I experienced were with the lack of information the staff seemed to have and the overall customer service.
Everyone I encountered was polite but just didn't seem very interested in making my stay enjoyable. We drove to the hotel and on arrival asked where we were to park, the Concierge gave us a blank look and then finally directed us to a closed car park!
We had called in advance to request a twin bedded room which they said was fine but this had not been added to our reservation and there was no record of this on arrival. The lady on front desk tried to accommodate this whilst also trying to get us to upgrade and sign up for the Melia loyalty programme at the same time. Which meant check in at &pm on boxing day took around 25minutes. We agreed to the upgrade having read the trip advisor reviews which recommended this but then after 20 minutes she advised us that there were no twin bedded larger rooms available. I explained in detail that 2 seperate beds were needed as I was travelling with my Dadand eventually we checked in and had to wait a furter 10minutes for the room to be set up. No compensation was offered for this delay.
When we finally made it to the room there were 2 single beds pushed firmly together with no way of separating them, we left the stuff in the room and complained on the way out for dinner. We were told that nothing could be done about this and again no compensation was offered.
Some people would find this hotel a little far off the beaten track but I know london quite well and its just a 10 minute walk to oxford st and 20 minutes to the theatre district. London Zoo is right on your doorstep with this hotel and there is a tube station outside.
I wouldn't choose to return due to the poor customer service but it is a great location and we may have just caught them at a bad time so you never know.

Room Tip: Go for a larger room if there is more than 1 of you.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Melia W, Guest Relations Manager at Melia White House, responded to this reviewResponded January 14, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review on Trip Advisor following you recent stay at the Melia White House Hotel. We obviously disappointed with your feedback about the service, as we simply want to be perfect for all of our guests and very keen when guests leave the hotel with warm memories. Please contact us directly at the email guest.experience.london@melia.com when you wish to make a new booking. This will give us the opportunity to take care of your reservation personally.

Write a ReviewReviews (7,238)

Reviewed January 4, 2013

Stayed here as part of a annual London Christmas family Visit (see previous reviews from last year) and was equally as impressed this December!

To give you an idea of how well we rate this hotel, my wife stays here once or twice a week paid for by her company (when working in London) and we still choose it as our family expedition!

It is located well and serves as an excellent base for visiting tourist spots (what we do when we are down there as a family), I think it might have a 4 star rating but I would personally rate it as a 5 star!

The decor is grand and opulent and although is a Spanish owned hotel, it has an old English London feel too it, but what really makes this place is the staff, all very passionate about their job and display the utmost customer service skills.

We always pay for 'The Level' when we book, it is a great optional extra giving you access to an Executive Lounge with complimentary drinks and snacks.

Only suggestion I could make would be to make the buffet restaurant selection a bit better, it is slightly eclectic to say the least!

We done Melia Whitehouse, I have no hesitation in recommending you and look forward to our return visit next Christmas!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Melia W, Manager at Melia White House, responded to this reviewResponded January 13, 2013

Thank you for your trust and for visiting The Melia White House in such an special occasion.

Thank you specialy for your kind comments about our staff,that we consider our most valuable asset.
Our aim is to deliver memorable and exceptional service experiences and I hope you will give us the opportunity to show you this on another visit.

We hope to see you soon.

With all good wishes,

Reviewed January 3, 2013 via mobile

The rooms looks nice, friendly staff and a good location. The walls are a bit thin thou :-( But despite that, this is a really good value-for-money hotel. Takes about 7-10min walk to oxford street, 5 min to madam t., and the lobby can order fixed prized taxies (saves you a lot of money).

3  Thank lovdal

hank you very much for your review and for saying that the team makes this hotel special.

I am a little concerned to read that your room had elements that needed attention.
We naturally want everything to be perfect for our guests,comments as yours encourages us to constantly work to improve our standars.

With my thanks and good wishes.

We remain at your complete disposal in Melia.com

Reviewed January 2, 2013

Stayed 26th to 30th Dec 12.
London hotels are a lottery, unless you have prior knowledge or a good recomendation. This is one of the better hotels I have found, particularly as
I got a good room rate, I also found the staff excellent and helpful. The room, called a classic room, was small which is not unusual for London, clean and in very good condition. The Bathroom is very small, maybe a problem for some, you need a certain amount of flexibility to use the shower. However I have the impression the Hotel staff would be both keen and happy to ensure you are satisfied with the room they offer you.
The Hotel is within walking disatnce of Euston station (less than 10 mins), and although the traffic can be noisy late at night, this is to be expected given its fairly central location and won't be different from any other large city centre Hotel. keeping the (double glazed windows) closed should elminate any noise, I slept with the window open without being disturbed.
In my opinion the hotel is well located, it took 10/15 minutes to walk into the West End, along Great Portland Street, which is opposite the hotel. I prefer to walk when in a major city, as this is the best way to find small cafes, bars and restaurants, and to build a little knowledge of the layout of the area.
There are two underground stations nearby (2 to 5 mins walk), which take you to the heart of London within a few minutes.
The Hotel is very close to Regents Park, great for London Zoo, great location for a walk or run. It's also just outside the congestion zone, if you are driving, however parking is very difficult and, where available, expensive at approx £35. Best not to drive!
With regard to the rooms, the twin I requested contained two beds, fixed next to each other effectively making it a double rather than a twin.
I'm happy with this Hotel, will use it again in the future, and will recomend it to friends and colleagues.

Room Tip: If you are tall/large, the bathroom in a classic room might be too small. Be aware the twins might m...
1  Thank TL28
Reviewed January 1, 2013

If you are arriving by train this is very convenient for Paddington and the tube at Great Portland Street is very close by. The hotel is very comfortable and whilst the rooms aren't huge they were comfortable enough - although there were a lot of emergency vehicles going past on the night we stayed. Breakfast was good and there was plenty of it. Staff were very friendly and helpful.

Reviewed December 30, 2012

This is a beautiful hotel, with very comfortable and well cared for rooms. I have chosen to stay here several times for weekend breaks in London and I am never disappointed. The breakfast has so much choice and the staff are all so very helpful. If you stay on 'The Level' you can access the Level Lounge at late afternoon for complimentary food, drinks, alcohol and even champagne. I also love the fact it is so close to the tube station. My tip is to join their Mas Rewards program as you get sent discount vouchers for your birthday, and complimentary treats like bottles of wine.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends

Thank you for the great review.

I am so pleased we were able to make your birthday celebrations memorable.

I look forward to welcoming you back soon

Kind Regards

Reviewed December 29, 2012

Stayed for 4 nights for business. This is a very pleasant hotel. Rooms are very large by London standards. Staff is friendly, location is very central and perfect if you want to see the roses of Regent Park. Rate included breakfast which was very good.

I would stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Melia W, Guest Relations Manager at Melia White House, responded to this reviewResponded January 9, 2013

Dear afineguy,

thank you for letting us know how happy you have been at the Melia White House!

It is true, we are lucky to be next to Regents Park, one of the nicest park in London but, in the mean time, we are located only 10 minutes walking distance form Oxford Circus, so nature and shopping it is a great plan for a visit in London!

We hope to welcome you back again very soon!