“Melia Whitehouse London”
Review of Melia White House

Melia White House
Ranked #299 of 1,081 Hotels in London
Reviewed December 1, 2011

My husband and I visited for our wedding anniversary, pleased we did.It is a lovely hotel, central with great transport connection. I'm not too sure what the reviewer who said it wasn't was thinking, all I can assume if they don't know London. Staff were friendly, Didat (I think that was his name, a young man) in reception was very helpful and after our room wasn't available the second time we enquired (4 hours between), he upgraded us. We can't comment on the food as ate out. The only reason I haven't given it 5 out of 5 is due to leaving at 10.30 in the morning and when returning at 4.20pm the room had still not been cleaned/refreshed and then 5 ladies turned up to do it ten minutes later and we just wanted to chill, have a shower before going out in the evening. I don't know when it was cleaned the following day as we did not return until late evening. would recommend the hotel though.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
ypp, Manager at Melia White House, responded to this reviewResponded December 5, 2011

Dear Desertsaffron,

Thank you so much for your kind comments and most especially those with regards to our staff and Didak in specific.

Guest Experience Manager - Melia White House

Write a ReviewReviews (7,310)

Reviewed November 30, 2011

The Meila White House hotel is a well-positioned and well-appointed hotel in Central London. The nearest tube station is Great Portland St which is 2 minutes away.

A lot of love and attention has gone on the entire guest experience - from the way the staff interact with you and to the appointment of the furnishings and the room.

However, there is a one major issue that would prevent me from staying there again and several minor ones which are merely annoyances.

The major issue is the internet. I have no problem paying for the internet but the performance was absolutely shocking. For a business user who travels extensively a high-speed internet connection is an absolute must. The fact that they don't have WiFi in the rooms ensured I had to go to the Apple store to buy a USB-network adapter for my MacBook Air but that was nothing in comparison to the poor speed.

The minor annoyances are in the way of the ergonomics. The big heavy workdesk is positioned in such a way as you have to push the table to be able to plug your laptop in - and it's heavy! In addition the iron and ironing board in the room is a great touch but positioning the bed and other furniture in the room as to make it almost impossible to iron a shirt is a minus.

In summary - a hotel I would love to stay in again but unless they get the internet sorted I'm afraid I won't be returning. A big shame.

2  Thank DavidJBLevine

Dear DavidJBLevin,

Thank you so much for choosing the Melia White House for your recent stay in London.

Whilst I was extremely happy to see of your kind comments and most especially those with regards to our staff, I was sorry to read of your experience with our internet service.

I am pleased to inform you that we are installing Wi-Fi internet facilities throughout the the hotel and we expect this to go live within the first months of 2012. At the same time we are working closely with our internet provider to test on the speed of the service as we recently upgraded our system. On the same note kindly note that we do have Apple USB-network adapters through our melia connects service (when at the hotel please dial extension 700 from your room).

Whilst I was thrilled to see of your We are very pleased to see that you have thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us (please accept our apologies for the delay in servicing your room on the first day) and we look forward to welcoming you back on many future occasions.

Once again thank you for your choice and your review and we look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Reviewed November 28, 2011

Very nice hotel which has a wonderful relaxing Bar/lounge. The rooms are confortable and well appointed although a little small, which is normal for London. The hotel is conveniently located for Great Portland Street Tube line and is not far from Oxford Street, Victoria (for the Appollo) and most major innercity attractions.

The rooms are quite expensive however on arrival if you sign up for their free loyalty card you get breakfast half price and a free night on your birthday.

The breakfast was great with loads of choice for everyone.

The food in the bar was good too and because this hotel is a Spanish hotel all the main food dishes are on a spanish theme.

I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel to anyone wishing to spend the night in London.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
ypp, Manager at Melia White House, responded to this reviewResponded November 29, 2011

Dear kseager,

Thank you for choosing the Melia White House and for sharing your experience with us through tripadvisor.

We are very pleased to see that you have enjoyed your stay with us and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed November 27, 2011

The hotel is a good location, lovely foyer and nice bar. However, we paid £125 per night for a double room. The room was on a corner on a busy road, the windows were rotting and single glazed, I could not sleep with traffic noise. We asked to change rooms but were told it was full, but they could move us the second night. The bed was tiny, certainly not a double. We only had 2 pillows. We had to cal lthe porter to get the old TV working, bulbs were not working in lamps. We agreed to pack our bags and they would move us. We reminded them again the next morning.
BUT we came back at 9.00pm to be told they could not move us, it was full. I was very angry. I asked for the manager, she told me we had not confirmed we wanted to move, (rubbish!) she then said they had not promised to move us (rubbish!) I insisted they sort something out, she asked us to take a seat then she said she would go and check. Lo and behold they they had moved us (very fishy) . I asked for 4 pillows and was told they always give 4 pillows,it's their standard....so how come we only had 2 the night before? I suspect the first room was a single.

The 2nd room was absolutely fine,a queen size bed, 4 pillows and windows overlooking an internal court yard so it was quiet.

So the moral of the story is DONT accept room 440 (probably 330, 550 too) as they are tiny corner rooms with 40 year old windows. Room 584 is fine.

Almost all the staff are foreign (Spanish) and many guests are foreign, so they do have problems understanding Engish

Room Tip: Not 440. Probably all 'Classic' rooms are old, the outside corner is very noisy
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MotherManchester

Dear MotherManchester,

Thank you for choosing the Melia White House whilst in London.

Please accept our most sincere apologies for the inconveniences caused during your stay. The situation you described could and should have been handled much more better and in an efficient manner.

We look forward to your response to my message via tripadvisor and to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed November 26, 2011

Good location for this hotel which had good public areas. Busy and cosmopolitan but the bathroom was tiny, the tv picture quality was poor, the heating was very effective but very, very noisy. Luckily at 2am when I was woken for at least an hour by the sound of the chap next door snoring then I finally realised I could switch on the very noisy heating to drown him out. I also spent a bit of time mooching about in the dark when my lights fused. Staff were friendly and helpful.

1  Thank JobiFA

Dear JobiFA,

Thank you very for your kind comments with regards to our staff.

We are sorry to see of your experience with your room and we hope that this will not deter you from returning to our hotel. Please let me know when you are next to London and the Melia White House as this will give us the opportunity to personally take care of your stay

We look forward to welcoming you back on many future occasions.

Best regards

Reviewed November 26, 2011

OK, here are the good bits: the hotel has a good location off Great Portland St, it is spotlessly clean and comfortable and has an excellent, if expensive, Spanish restaurant. The not so good bits: the room sizes are too small for the price you pay, car parking is hopeless, breakfast is average. The bad bits: you queue forever to check in and out, the staff seem to fail to grasp that the interests of guests should supersede the shortcomings of the hotel's bureaucracy. I stayed there for 1 night and witnessed 2 positively heated arguments between guests and staff about matters which could have been easily resolved with a little flexibility. I queued for 10 minutes at "The Levels" checkout for an internet access code, I asked a passing staff member if she would mind opening the drawer next to the receptionist to get a a pre-printed slip of paper with an access code on it as I had been queuing for 10 minutes and there were still 3 people in front of me. The answer? "No, you have to wait". Thanks for nothing, it would have taken her less than 10 seconds to do this.

The reason this hotel gets 3 stars instead of 2 is because of the quality of the "L'Albufera" Restaurant. It's very good, but very expensive.

Get your staff to focus on the needs of their guests more than the "computer says no" attitude of the hotel's bureaucracy and you'll stop snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.

Room Tip: Ask reception for a large room and demand to be moved when they ignore your request and allocate you...
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
ypp, Manager at Melia White House, responded to this reviewResponded November 28, 2011

Dear gribblewok,

Thank you for your taking the time to share your experience with us through tripadvisor.

Whilst we are pleased to see that you have enjoyed a part of your visit and our 2-AA rosettes L'Albufera restaurant, we are really sorry that we have not live up to your expectations in all aspects of your stay with us.

We work towards improving our services and ensuring consistent high levels and our guests' feedback is the best way to help us on this direction. Indeed things could have been handled better and your comments have been discussed thoroughly within our teams.

I look forward to receiving your response to my message via tripadvisor look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed November 25, 2011

Myself and four colleagues stayed on a Saturday evening. Arriving from out of London we were really pleased with the close proximity to Euston station and Regent's Park just round the corner. Rate was £115 per room booked directly via their website. Rooms were nice and clean, comfy beds, as per other reviews not huge but fine for what we needed. Had the buffet in the Place which was fantastic, and used the free £15 voucher per person that came with our online booking. Definitely recommend this place.

• Stayed: November 2011
1  Thank SC1214

Dear SC1214,

Thank you so much for your taking the time and review us in tripadvisor.

We are pleased to see that you have thoroughly enjoyed your stay and look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.