The Rubens at the Palace
Ranked #74 of 1,078 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed May 14, 2010

I normally stay with family or friends when I'm in London but this time I decided to cash in my airmiles and stay in a hotel. The reviews for Rubens sounded good and being right across the road from the palace I was looking forward to the experience.
I asked for a Palace side room - I got the opposite side of the hotel but I was too tired and too shocked into silence to complain. It was the SMALLEST hotel room I have ever stayed in and I'm not a big person ;-)
The staff were lovely and the location is fantastic but I was expecting better to be honest...

1  Thank ETwomey
Write a ReviewReviews (4,336)

Reviewed May 13, 2010

The Good points - the staff were exceptionally helpful and efficient, the location is excellent as not far to most of the main attractions and the breakfast was lovely although very expensive.

The BAD points - when we arrived we were taken to room 414 - well, it was a very tiny room, would have had a job to swing a cat, it stunk of smoke and backed onto the a noisy dingy extractors etc, i was really disapointed so contacted reception to ask for a non smoking room, after 10 mins they had not phoned back so went to reception to sort it out., The receptionist was extremely effiecient and told me there was a non smoking room available but needed to be cleaned so said i would wait. Went back to room and received phone call saying there was another room (smoking) available which had not been used for a few days and i would able to see it. Went to have a look and it seemed ok but once the door was shut it also stunk of smoke. Got so despondant just couldnt be bothered to move again! think i was so pleased that the room was slightly more spacious and had a better outlook! and also didn't plan to spend too much time in the room. The TV was really old and positioned at the bottom of the bed, so you had to look down to see it, also you could not watch all the chanels as the picture was poor.

Would i stay there again? NO as previous reviews were so good and this was a special birthday, I am the type of person who always tries to see the best but in this occasion am so disapointed.

Reviewed May 9, 2010

I stayed here for one night and choose the hotel for the location. I was not disappointed, as it's close to the station and Buckingham Palace. All of the staff were very friendly, and I noticed this across the board with all of their guests.

The room size was moderate. TV didn't seem to work but I didn't try too hard to fix this. Plenty of outlets in the room. The view was the HVAC vents on the roof. The shower water comes from the cieling - pressure and temperatue were fine; however the shower door did not close properly so water ended up all over the floor. The room decor has plenty of red in it to remind you of a French cabaret. Bed was comfortable. Floor was creaky.

I ordered room service which was ok. Breakfast was nice though.

And there's free internet!

I would stay here again but probably not a first choice.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed May 7, 2010

This hotel is reasonably clean and in a good location (if you want to be in the Buckingham Palace area.) As with all London inns, the rates are high, so be forewarned. My particular bad experience centers around the Rubens' cancellation policy. I had phoned them about 6 p.m. the day before I was to return for a single night's stay to tell them that my plans had changed and I must cancel my reservation. This was unacceptable to them, however, and they have proceeded to charge my card anyway. Of course, I will be disputing the charge through my bank, but the very idea that calling a day before is not good enough for these people is absurd. Recommendation: avoid the Rubens.

• Stayed: May 2010
1  Thank already_done_that
MalcolmHendry, General Manager at The Rubens at the Palace, responded to this reviewResponded May 14, 2010

Thank you for your review.

I am concerned that you were disappointed with our cancellation policy and have discussed your comments with my Reservation Manager. Following your arrival with us, I know that we had already made amendments/cancellations to your reservation without charge and that you were happy with the flexibility shown in this case. With the additional cancellation that you made outside of our terms and conditions, I know that my reservations, being unable to re-sell the room held, did raise a charge, which in turn I will review when your query comes through.

I am very sorry that your experience was not as positive as that of others on this site and would ask you to please accept my sincere apologies for any inconvenience caused.

Yours sincerely,

Malcolm Hendry

Reviewed May 7, 2010

From the moment we entered to the moment we left, we were treated as a valued guest.

Reception seemed to be glad th see you, concierge spoke to you like an old friend.

The bar and Restaurants were highly professional, efficient and attentive.

On sending an Email of congratulations to the Manager received an early answer , rare in this day and age.

WELL DONE THE RUBENS *****

Reviewed May 4, 2010

The Rubens is excellent value. The location is very central and the rooms are perfect, being beautifully and tastefully decorated. Room service is efficient and friendly.. The food is outstanding, especially the breakfast. I now prefer to stay at the Rubens for holiday breaks in London.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed May 4, 2010

The hotel had a very nice location, very close to Victoria station and also to the center. But I wouldn't stay there again unless I am not finding anything else in the area. It is an old hotel, it was smelling like old and the floor was cracking every time I was walking on it. The tv and everything was so old. We didn't have a coffee maker or tea in the room, usually we were finding them in the hotel. They told us we have a superior room, but to be honest I stayed at other hotels cheaper in London and better.
We went there for the weekend, in spite of all these the bed was very comfortable.
Also I was taken a deposit of 150 pounds and I was told that the money will be refund in 5 working days. I was never asked for a deposit in London and I paid lot more on other hotels and the quality was better than Rubens.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to post your review of The Rubens on Tripadvisor. I appreciate feedback in any form it may come in.

I was sorry to read that you found our hotel not to your own personal taste. As a slightly more traditional building, we do experience some noise from floorboards from time to time and these are taken up and re-secured as discovered. I was also surprised to read that you could not find the tea and coffee making facilities in the room and have reiterated to my concierge team the importance of pointing these out to guests as part of our rooming procedures, as all our bedrooms do come equipped with tea and coffee making facilities. As already mentioned in response to the e-mail you sent me direct, I was sorry to read that our payment pre-authorisation at check in caused you inconvenience and that your bank took a little longer to release these funds.

I am very sorry that your stay was not as positive as that of others on this site but would like to thank you for sharing this with us, which in turn I have taken back for review with my team here.

Yours sincerely,