“The Rubens Staff Is The Best!”

The Rubens at the Palace
Ranked #80 of 1,063 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersBronze level
Washington, DC
“The Rubens Staff Is The Best!”
Reviewed June 17, 2009

I recently experienced my first trip to London. I chose to stay at The Rubens At The Palace, which is in a perfect location across from The Palace Mews and close to Buckingham Palace, beautiful St. James Park, and the convenient Victoria Underground Station. I could not have been happier with my choice; the Rubens is a wonderful, enviro-friendly, comfortable and classy hotel.
The staff was charming and attentive, the concierge personnel were responsive to my every question (Dave, you're a winner!), and meals at the Rubens were innovative with excellent service. The English Breakfast provides a huge selection for all tastes.
The king bed in my room was the most comfortable I've ever experienced in my travels. The room was quiet and the amenities (coffee and tea, body lotion and bath products, bottled water, room service) were excellent. For the cost, I was luxuriously happy.
I found London to be one of the most amazing, frenetic, melting pot, politically chaotic, fun places in the world. The Rubens will henceforth be my home base in London. In fact, I plan to return in December and can't wait!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled solo
1 Thank DCScarlett

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (872)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Caledonia, Michigan
Reviewed June 17, 2009

We stayed at the Rubens for our first visit to London, and booked a family package. Overall, we had a great weekend. The room (an executive king) was large and comfortable with the exception of the sofa bed our son had to sleep on (it was horrible; we had to put a duvet under him so he wouldn;t be poked by springs). The staff were very friendly and, for the most part, attentive. The hotel is beautiful, and the breakfast every day was wonderful. Each day the staff packed a lunch for our children, which they loved and was such so convenient for us.

In the downsides: our package was supposed to include two things we never received. We were supposed to have a "luxury turn down service" every night, and out of four nights this happened only once. Also, our kids were supposed to get a tour of the hotel and kitchen, and a chance to make their own lunch. However, every day were told that the staff were too busy. It was a bank holiday so I can understand that, but then it shouldn't have been included in a package for that weekend. It was an expensive package, so we were disappointed at the little things that were lacking.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank americaninparis08
MalcolmHendry, General Manager at The Rubens at the Palace, responded to this review, June 29, 2009
Thank you for taking the time to post your review of The Rubens at the Palace on Tripadvisor. I am most grateful for your feedback, which is such a valuable source of information for me, regardless of whether it is good or bad, and helps me monitor the service we provide.

I was delighted to read that overall you enjoyed your stay. However, I was concerned to learn that the sofa bed in your room was uncomfortable and have asked my Executive Housekeeper to inspect this and make remedial adjustments accordingly. I was also sorry to read that you did not receive all the inclusions from the Kids’ Package you had booked. This is very unusual, and whilst we do try and refrain from conducting Kitchen tours doing busy service periods, I would have hoped that we could have arranged for a tour at some point during your stay. Please be assured that I have conveyed your dissatisfaction to my Guest Services team and accept my sincere apologies for any inconvenience caused.

I do hope that the above did not detract too much from an otherwise enjoyable stay and would ask you to please accept my sincere apologies for any inconvenience caused.

I hope to have the opportunity of welcoming you back to The Rubens at the Palace Hotel in person in the not too distant future.

Yours sincerely,

Malcolm Hendry
San Francisco
Reviewed June 12, 2009

This hotel was a great find. It is located almost directly across from Buckingham Palace. It was a great location. It is close to the Victoria tube station which was perfect for traveling to other parts of London. The staff at the hotel was very helpful...especially the conceriege staff. They were wonderful. They were always happy to give us directions, order tickets and give advice. I can't say enough about them. The rooms in this hotel are a good size. They are nicely decorated and had comfortable beds. The price for rooms here is a steal for what you get and compared to other hotels in the area. The next time I am in London I will most definitely stay here.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank Castle333
St Louis, Mo
Reviewed June 9, 2009

My husband and I spent our first trip to London and 10th wedding anniversary at Rubens at the Palace. My husband is disabled and can not walk. We found the accommodations adequate, but not ideal.

The bathroom was very roomy and had a roll in shower. The drainage was not good and by the end of the shower, I was up to my ankles in water. We informed the staff and they worked to solve the issue twice, but to no avail.

The room was small and dark and had no view. My husband was only able to access one side of the bed. We had a king size bed which was actually two twin beds pushed together. It was clean and comfortable.

Location was ideal. We did a lot of walking and many of the places we visited were within walking distance. Victoria Station is only a few of blocks away and part of Buckingham Palace is right across the street.

The staff was very friendly, especially Dave. He suggested a wonderful Italian restaurant that was only a block from the hotel. We liked it so much that we ate there two nights in a row! Thanks, Dave! Hats off to Nathan who was equally as nice and friendly. I hope he makes it to California which is his dream.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
Perth, Western Australia
Reviewed June 8, 2009

Fantastic location right next to Buckingham Palace and walking distance to just about everywhere! It exudes old-world charm and is a very comfortable home-away-from-home hotel, a welcome break from large, sterile highrise hotels. Worth paying an upgrade to a King Room and request front of the hotel with a view of the goings on at Buckingham Palace. I recommend high tea with pink champagne but for meals I would highly recommend eating in the restaurant next door called B-Bar where the food was very fresh and delicious and quite unlike normal English food (set up by an Aussie of course). You can also walk round the corner to go and see Billy Elliot (also highly recommended). I took a long but pleasurable walk through the parks to Marble Arch Marks & Spencers with a few Russell & Bromley shoe stops along the way, make sure you have plenty left on your credit card. Another wonderful walk was across the Thames passed Houses of Parliament, back along another bridge to Trafalgar Square, took in a few Impressionists at The National Gallery, Leicester Square, Piccadilly Circus, Soho and back through the parks home. I will stay again next year.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled solo
1 Thank Bapuss
Florida
Reviewed June 5, 2009

I have stayed in other hotels in London. For some reason I opted to stay near Buckingham Palace. This hotel is across from the Palace Mews. Every employee from top to bottom were friendly, codrial and helpful. I will stay there again if I visit London again. A great location, great food and service.
The visit was actually planned around attending the Chelsea Flower Show. This hotel was the a great place to get around town and the Flower Show.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with friends
Los Angeles, CA
Reviewed June 5, 2009

I stayed at the Rubens for two weeks on business in January (sorry for the tardiness of my review). At the time, I worked for a company affiliated with the Red Carnation Hotel chain that owns the Rubens; therefore, my room was comped. So, I won't comment too much on the value.

What I LIKED:

LOCATION: This was a very good location in London. A five minute walk to Victoria Station allows quick access to the Central, District and Victoria Underground lines. Also, the Gatwick Express comes directly into Victoria, allowing travellers to get to their hotel in short order. The Rubens is also close to Buckingham Palace and about a 15 minute walk to Big Ben and Parliament. Overall, this hotel allows quick access to all of London's best attractions, either by foot or by tube.

ROOM SIZE: My room was a very nice size, very similar to many American hotels (as those who visit Europe know, rooms can be quite small). I had a great king sized bed and there was a very nice desk area. The wardrobe was somewhat small (and it is a wardrobe rather than a closet) and if I had been traveling with someone else it would have been a bit tight.

BREAKFAST: The breakfast was well done. Great service by all of the staff and a very wide selection of foods.

What COULD HAVE BEEN BETTER:

"VIEW": Keep in mind my room was comped...I had a tenement view. I was on the first floor (one above the ground floor, unlike the US) and I was facing another part of the building. There as also some sort of scaffolding just outside my window. This didn't turn out to be a huge issue as when I was in London it was dark at around 4pm, so I didn't expect to see much anyway.

HEAT: Here, keep in mind I'm from California...I have never understood why the buildings in Britain are often kept so hot in the winter. As I am from California, we don't really have winter per se, so there must be something I don't get. But there were times I had to turn on the air conditioning in my room just so I didn't burn up. This is not a Rubens issue, its the whole of the country. I guess I'd understand better if I was in a place with a cold winter.

INTERNET: The internet access at the Rubens is astronomically priced. It was about 15 pounds for 24 hours of high speed internet (That was about $22 with a FAVORABLE exchange rate). Unlike other European hotels I've stayed at, there wasn't even a free access computer available to hotel guests--that too had a cost. For a tourist, this won't be a big issue, but if you're travelling here for business you will want to be aware of that cost.

Overall, this is a quite nice hotel and totally recommendable. It was very close to my office while I was in London and to the train station for when I had to venture out to some of our other offices. The service was pleasant as well.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank oxman78
MalcolmHendry, General Manager at The Rubens at the Palace, responded to this review, June 17, 2009

I was sorry to read that you were disappointed with the view from your room. We do have rooms which overlook the Buckingham Palace Royal Mews and these can be requested at the time of reservation or check-in.
I was also concerned to read that you found your room to be too warm. All heating and air-conditioning units are serviced regularly in order to keep temperature control at the most efficient level possible. However, I have passed your comments on to my Chief Engineer and asked that he be aware of these as we continue with our programme of preventative maintenance.
Since your stay with us in January, we have made the decision to offer all Internet and WIFI services on a complimentary basis for residents. I am sorry that this was not the case during your time with us.

Yours sincerely,