“A nice place”

The Rubens at the Palace
Ranked #73 of 1,075 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed August 22, 2014

Lovely place, but not particularly happy with our room or location of it, but did enjoy the friendly staff and lovely English buffet breakfast and free dinner and lovely High Tea as an Costco.com Executive member. Great location, back of the Palace, down the street and walking distance to ALL the sights. Also right down the street from the Tube and most excursion meeting points -- the bus terminals. You can easily get to the Tube, grab it to the St. Pancras and be on your way to Paris, which we did! And across the street from a great pub, The Bag of Nails -- OMG Fabulous London!

Room Tip: ask for one that is not the back of the hotel or one with a "white" theme.
1  Thank Suzanne Z
MalcolmHendry, General Manager at The Rubens at the Palace, responded to this reviewResponded September 1, 2014

Thank you for your review. I am so pleased to read that you enjoyed our location, breakfast and dinner as part of your package. I am so sorry to read that you did not enjoy your room and location of the room whilst staying. Being an older building we do have a big variety of room sizes and decor and my guest services team is available 24 hours a day should you like to view a different room for your stay. I am sorry we did not have the opportunity to rectify this straight away for you.

It is great to read that you enjoyed London and I do hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future so that I can show you our different rooms.
Thank you again for your time in writing this review.

Warmest Regards,

Malcolm Hendry

Reviewed August 22, 2014

Just had two nights in the royal suite at the Rubens. We stayed in the Victoria room in the royal apartments and it was really good. We tend to use hotels as base rather than eat breakfast dinner and tea, however the breakfast buffet is more than enough to keep you going for most of the day. The staff are very friendly however they do seam to look down on you and i was asked 3 times if i knew how much my room was?????? why i don't know. i do wear t-shirts and jeans but i can count - it is part of my job, i have never had this in any other hotel in Europe, however apart from this the hotel is really great i would stay here again and suggest to anyone to go into the royal apartments for the experience, we never heard a bit of traffic in the morning and it is just over the road from the palace , and a few minutes from Victoria station.

Room Tip: go for the royal suites - free wi-fi - great location
2  Thank chsoc

Thank you for your review. I was so pleased to read that you enjoyed our Royal Wing and found The Queen Victoria Suite to be really good. It was also great to read that you enjoyed our breakfast and that it kept you full for most of the day. I am so sorry to read that you felt that we asked about your room rate on too many occasions. We do ask at check in if you want us to confirm the room rate to you as some guests prefer not to for confidentiality. We will then again do this on departure, just to make sure all is in order with your account. My apologies if this made you feel uncomfortable. I do hope this will not keep you from returning to us. I can certainly assure you that t-shirts and jeans are a popular choice for guests whilst staying with us on holiday, in fact we would fully encourage this so that you feel right at home with us.
Thank you again for your time in writing this review.

Warmest Regards,

Malcolm Hendry

Reviewed August 21, 2014

I have reviewed this hotel before and I still consider it to be the best hotel in London. It was my birthday while I was there and together with the dinner that my husband treated me to in the Library Restaurant, the staff also made it special. So thank you to all the staff

3  Thank suemusgrave
Reviewed August 21, 2014

We stayed at the Rubens for 2 nights to celebrate a birthday. My wife and I have stayed next door before at the sister Hotel 41 so knew the location was perfect for our trip to Buckingham Palace as it was across the road. All the staff we met were very professional, friendly and gave great service. Our room was in the Royal Wing and called the Edward V11 Prince of Wales. It was very comfortable with a large bed an easy chair, a desk and chair, plenty of wardrobe space and draws for storage. Tea and coffee facilities, a fridge filled with soft drinks and alcohol, Nibbles, a hair dryer an ironing board with iron and a safe. The marbled bathroom had a shower over the bath, many walls and ceiling covered with mirrors and a TV to view as you had a soak in the bath. Views from the window were over the Royal Mews where the Queen's horses and state cartridges are kept. Victoria tube and station is just 5 minutes walk away and you are minutes from a bus stop. We had dinner in the Old Masters restaurant which is a carvery with roasts on offer daily and is well known for its Aberdeen Angus beef selected from the finest Scottish herds. The service and food was excellent as was the breakfast served in the same restaurant. Plenty of choice for cold or hot food and a full English breakfast with your choice of eggs cooked fresh in front of you. This is without doubt one of our favorite hotels in London and as part of the Red Carnation Group offer superb service and high class facilities

5  Thank PH&LH
Reviewed August 20, 2014

We recently took the family on a trip to London and we stayed for four nights. The staff at the Rubens was great. They could not have been more helpful. The rooms were nice, maybe a little outdated, but they were more spacious than the reviews led me to believe. I did upgrade the rooms so perhaps that had a role. I also took the advice of previous reviewers and emailed the hotel and the manager to make sure that I obtained the correct accommodations. The breakfast was perfect. They were willing to give us whatever we requested- although the buffet was ample. Location is a plus. The restaurant/tea rooms were a little difficult to get reservations.

Room Tip: Call before you get there
3  Thank Bradley A
Reviewed August 20, 2014

This hotel is a great place to stay in London. As soon as our cab pulled up, a doorman met us and helped us with our luggage. And from that point on, the service was great. The room we had was very small.... so small that I had to climb over the bed rather than walk around to get to my side. But the entire hotel is spotlessly clean, and that is the most important thing to me. The hotel is located right across the street from Buckingham Palace and it is a 5 minute walk to Victoria Train Station, where you can pick up most tube lines, as well as the National Rail. This was our second stay at the Rubens, and I would definitely stay there again and recommend it to others.

3  Thank champsmom
Reviewed August 20, 2014

One cannot be more close to the buckingham palace, than this wonderful hotel.
Located in the heart of central London, palace is walking distance from the lobby.
It's a small boutique hotel with 5 star service. Right from reception to concierge to bellboy, everyone is wonderful and professional.
We had reserved 2 junior suites and rooms were big as compared to other European hotels.
Rooms were clean, though one could see the wear and tear in the curtains and in the pillow covers. Corner rooms are big and 2 corner suites become your private section with one entrance door.
Bathrooms were spacious with standard amenities.
Pros : location, price, Free Wifii, service , close to Victoria station
Cons : Monday morning street noise, though tolerable.

Room Tip: Room 305 and 307 are big suites and perfect for family of 4-6
1  Thank sawlanimd