“Great Stay”

Ranked #75 of 1,068 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersBronze level
“Great Stay”
Reviewed August 20, 2014

We recently took the family on a trip to London and we stayed for four nights. The staff at the Rubens was great. They could not have been more helpful. The rooms were nice, maybe a little outdated, but they were more spacious than the reviews led me to believe. I did upgrade the rooms so perhaps that had a role. I also took the advice of previous reviewers and emailed the hotel and the manager to make sure that I obtained the correct accommodations. The breakfast was perfect. They were willing to give us whatever we requested- although the buffet was ample. Location is a plus. The restaurant/tea rooms were a little difficult to get reservations.

Room Tip: Call before you get there
3 Thank Bradley A

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (879)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
new jersey, USA
Reviewed August 20, 2014

This hotel is a great place to stay in London. As soon as our cab pulled up, a doorman met us and helped us with our luggage. And from that point on, the service was great. The room we had was very small.... so small that I had to climb over the bed rather than walk around to get to my side. But the entire hotel is spotlessly clean, and that is the most important thing to me. The hotel is located right across the street from Buckingham Palace and it is a 5 minute walk to Victoria Train Station, where you can pick up most tube lines, as well as the National Rail. This was our second stay at the Rubens, and I would definitely stay there again and recommend it to others.

3 Thank champsmom
chicago,il
Reviewed August 20, 2014

One cannot be more close to the buckingham palace, than this wonderful hotel.
Located in the heart of central London, palace is walking distance from the lobby.
It's a small boutique hotel with 5 star service. Right from reception to concierge to bellboy, everyone is wonderful and professional.
We had reserved 2 junior suites and rooms were big as compared to other European hotels.
Rooms were clean, though one could see the wear and tear in the curtains and in the pillow covers. Corner rooms are big and 2 corner suites become your private section with one entrance door.
Bathrooms were spacious with standard amenities.
Pros : location, price, Free Wifii, service , close to Victoria station
Cons : Monday morning street noise, though tolerable.

Room Tip: Room 305 and 307 are big suites and perfect for family of 4-6
1 Thank sawlanimd
Tokyo, Japan
Reviewed August 19, 2014

My experience of this hotel is based son a 4 night stay here as part of a business trip, and I have to say that I was extremely disappointed by this hotel. There is no denying the fact that this hotel has a fantastic location, and as a result it will always be a very popular place to stay.

However, around Victoria there are other hotels that cost a lot less money and have much better hotel rooms and service. I found the rooms at the Rubens to be very musty. They were also unbelievably small and difficult to manoevre within. I know it is central London so hotel rooms tend to be small, but this was REALLY small.

I also found the staff to be rude and arrogant, and not in the least bit helpful when the rate they charged me was different to my corporate rate.

So despite all the positive reviews, I personally will take my business elsewhere when needing to stay in and around Victoria Station.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank ChrisUKinHanoi
MalcolmHendry, General Manager at The Rubens at the Palace, responded to this review, August 21, 2014
Thank you for your review.

I was really sorry to hear again of your displeasure following your stay with us in September last year. I remember following up with your travel agent, who in turn I think liaised with you after your departure. I am sorry to find a year on that you remain unhappy with the elements of your stay; I had thought that our subsequent follow up, actions and apologies had gone towards expressing our regret and putting some explanation into not being able to source your corporate rate at the time.

Never the less, I would like to apologise once again for your disappointment and reassure you that I went through each event of your stay with my team at the time, and will do so again now.

My sincere apologies.

Malcolm Hendry
Douglasville, Georgia
Reviewed August 19, 2014

I found The Rubens online, read the reviews, and contacted the hotel manager, Malcolm for assistance with booking our trip. We arrived in London at the beginning of our trip, then left for 5 days before returning to London to complete our vacation. Malcolm was amazing at arranging multiple rooms for us, transportation from the airport, and holding part of our luggage while we traveled to other countries. His attention to detail and quick responses to my 10 separate emails was very impressive. The hotel was lovely and our rooms were clean. The location was impeccable. We were directly across the street from the Royal Mews at Buckingham Palace, just a short walk to Victoria Station, and one of the stops on the Red Bus tour. The staff was overly attentive and made all of us feel so welcome every time we set foot in the door. The doorman was one of the best parts of our trip. He was so friendly and helpful each day and asked us everyday about our activities. Malcolm the hotel manager even arranged a cupcake decorating session for my daughter. The full English breakfast each morning was wonderful as well. We will definitely go back to London and visit the Rubens again. It also made me very interested in trying some of the other Red Carnation Hotels. Thanks again to the staff at The Rubens for making our holiday spectacular!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank kampmorgj
Maryland
Reviewed August 19, 2014

My husband and I took our 8 and 10 year old granddaughters to London and we stayed at the Rubens for 8 nights. We had stayed there in May and decided this would be the best hotel to use to show our granddaughters all the sights in London. Several of the staff recognized us and we were warmly welcomed back. The hotel had a lovely plate of brownies waiting for the girls with a special birthday wish on them. They also received a packet of things to do when we checked in. A delicious box of cookies and milk for our grandaughters was also sent to our room each night. Our stay was perfect and all the staff were most helpful, especially Paula. A special thank you to her for her assistance. As other reviewers have mentioned, the rooms are great and the location perfect for walking or taking the tube or bus. I highly recommend the Rubens for a great stay in London.

1 Thank MarylandAmerican
Bridgewater, Nova Scotia, Canada
Reviewed August 19, 2014

I stayed here before a transfer to my cruise.
It was only for one night but it was fortunate that Buckingham Palace and the Mews was so close.
The High Tea was amazing and I would fully recommend it to anyone wishing to sample an English Tea .
The staff was very helpful with any thing you would need.

• Stayed July 2014