“Brilliant service. A very special place to stay.”

The Rubens at the Palace
Ranked #88 of 1,088 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersBronze level
Woodbridge, United Kingdom
“Brilliant service. A very special place to stay.”
Reviewed May 10, 2014

I stayed here with my teenage children (they had a suite) and friends (likewise) and the place is very special.

The staff make your stay really worthwhile and go the extra mile to make sure everything is perfect.

I loved our stay and so did our friends. EVERYTHING was perfect for us. There is an ethos of superb customer service and all the staff seem to have embraced this and make your time there special. We stayed two nights and had lovely breakfasts.

Due to family connections we ate elsewhere in the evening but I wish we had eaten at the Rubens as other guests were telling us of the wonderful evening meals they had.

I was lucky enough to be getting a Gong so we were within two minutes from the palace gates and we walked up in our 'glad rags' to see HRH Duke of Cambridge! One of the most special days of my life and made all the more great by the wonderful stay at this brilliant hotel. I'm definitely going back.

Room Tip: Pick a Palace Mews room and you can watch the royal carriages come and go from Buckingham Palace.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Neil B

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (861)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Boynton Beach, Florida
Reviewed May 9, 2014

This is our last night of a 12 day stay at this WONDERFUL establishment. The location is great - short walk to Victoria Station where trains/buses take you anywhere. Buckingham Palace is around the corner, too! Our room was of comfortable size & beautifully decorated - bathroom lovely and roomy- great WiFi - quality bedding & WONDERFUL pillows - no problem sleeping! Afternoon Tea was GREAT as was the piano player who provided lovely music every evening. We had breakfast daily which was varied, plentiful, and delicious! What really made our stay so great was the WONDERFUL staff! EVERYONE - the manager, the reception staff, the restaurant staff, to the room attendants - were professional and so very sweet and genuinely willing to do whatever they could to make our stay pleasant. We have stayed in hotels in Paris, Rome, Venice, and Spain - the experience we had at this hotel surpasses all others. After 12 days here we can't think of ANYTHING even remotely negative. Thank you to EVERYONE at The Rubens at the Palace for making our stay PERFECT!

Room Tip: Stayed on 4th floor (king size bed) - very quiet for a good night's sleep.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Rebecca Z
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed May 8, 2014

This was our second visit to Rubens Hotel , and it won't be the last. The hotel staff really makes your feel welcome and valued. Special thanks to Dave for all the help with our day trip to Paris, and scoring great seats to "Blithe Spirit", one of the great highlights of our trip. Also, a special greeting to Nathan, with whom we really enjoyed talking with and also, a thank you to you and your Co-worker for all your help in getting us a cab during the tube situation last week. I will never forget your help in getting us to "Blithe Spirit" in time. We really enjoyed dining at BBar and thanks to Dave for the glass of champagne. We also, enjoyed afternoon tea with seats overlooking the Royal Mews......perfect experience. Each night we would gather in the lounge for a night cap and the bar staff was wonderful and gracious. Rubens is the perfect place to capture the many treasures that can be found in London. With this location, you can walk to many of them. Thanks again to everyone for making our stay a grand experience. Rubens and London both hold a very special place in my heart!!! I hope to see you all again very soon.

Room Tip: Room overlooking the Royal Mews have the best views, but any room on the back side street are quiete...
2 Thank AngelW70
Northern Ireland
Reviewed May 7, 2014 via mobile

Just back from our 3 day trip to London. We stayed at the Rubens and I can honestly say it was the highlight of an amazing trip.

Prior to our break I had emailed the hotel to advise this was part of my wife's 30th birthday present and from the minute we arrived we were made to feel like VIPs and I new this was going to be something special.

Our room was fantastic (411) overlooking the gates to the Royal Mews. It was decorated and finished to the highest standard. I know some people complain about the size of rooms when staying in London. We had no issues and found it more than adequate, especially when you consider the super king size bed. When we entered there was a plate waiting for us with beautiful birthday gateaux on it along with a birthday card and vouchers for complementary champagne.

Breakfasts are superb with plenty of choice in lovely relaxed surroundings.

Location in perfect. 2 minutes to Victoria station, 5 mins to Buckingham Palace and 15 minutes walk to Big Ben and the embankment.

We had afternoon tea on our first day which was amazing. We were given a sofa next to the window and really were spoilt. Thanks to Maisey who serviced us. Upon thanking our seats she was wishing my wife's happy birthday and providing us with complementary champagne. When the food arrived it came with another beautiful birthday card for my wife.

Both nights we had the turndown service and both times were blown away. The first night we had rose petals scattered throughout the room and chocolate covered strawberries and candles waiting for us. The second, when had returned from seeing Wicked, the room was lit up by green candles and there was a signed photo from the leads of the show along with the best cupcakes I have ever had. These had green frosting and an iced witches hat!

It really is the personal touch the makes this hotel so special. Everything they did for us from my wife's birthday cards, to the champagne, to the exquisite turn downs really meant so much to us.

Thank you to all the staff we dealt with. To the manager, Mr Hendry, your staff are fantastic and you should be extremely proud.

Finally can I say thank you to Marta, the guests services manager. From the moment we walked in until the moment we left you made this the perfect trip for us. Nothing was too much trouble for you and you really did make us feel like the most important guests in the hotel. It was an absolute pleasure to have met you and I know we'll be speaking again soon as I help to plan trips for other family members!

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Jonny M
Port Hedland, Australia
Reviewed May 7, 2014

we had a 3 day break with our granddaughter, in April this year. The hotel staff were welcoming, friendly and very helpful. They had a special greeting service for our granddaughter (6yrs) and gave her a certificate ,colouring book and crayons. We thought the room was lovely, and spotless. the electric window blinds became our granddaughters job! The breakfast was more than sufficient, with a good choice for various diets.
the concierge and the reception staff were an absolute delight.
Highly recommend

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank 58alisong58
glasgow
Reviewed May 6, 2014

Just back from a 3 day break in this hotel, although a nice enough hotel, the double room that we had was very small. We could not relax in the room as so small, although it was beautifully decorated? We asked for an upgrade to a King size room as we had booked through Secret Escapes and thought that this was automatic. This was not the case, we did get an upgrade on our last night. The reception staff were friendly and check in was very quick.

1 Thank GlasgowRhona
MalcolmHendry, General Manager at The Rubens at the Palace, responded to this review, May 7, 2014
Thank you for your review. I am sorry to read that you found our rooms too small and that you were not informed that the upgrade was subject to availability upon booking your stay with secret escapes.

I have taken this back to secret escapes, and asked that they are transparent with the offer when they are booking. Especially during busy, which unfortunately your arrival coincided with such a busy period that this was not possible.

I am pleased to read that you were upgraded to a superior room on your last night and I do hope that this helped make your stay better.

I hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to us in the near future.

Once again many thanks again for your review.

Warmest Regards,

Malcolm Hendry
General manager
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 5, 2014

The staff here are great, exceptionally friendly and very professional. Especially the chap at the concierge and the young guy serving the breakfasts. The location is great and is only a 2 minute walk from the Victoria tube station and about 5 mins walk from buckingham palace. We couldnt hear a thing in the room and got a great nights sleep, the beds are very comfortable. the Only gripe with the whole trip is we booked through secret escapes and were supposed to get a superior king room, this was not the case as the room was rather small but very well decorated and very clean none the less. The food in the old masters carvery is great and the breakfast is very good! As me and my partner had gone for an anniversary the staff left us a postcard in the room with a nice message and a free drink in the bar which we thought was great.

Overall the hotel is great and the staff are exceptional!
We would stay again!

Room Tip: Rooms on the front have good views rooms on the back over look an office.
3 Thank Jonny D
Thank you for your wonderful review. I have shared this with my team here and we are all thrilled to know that you enjoyed so many elements of your stay with us.

I am so sorry with regards to the missed opportunity to upgrade your room with us. I have taken this back to secret escapes, and asked that they are transparent with the offer when they are booking. Especially with this particular selling period was for an upgrade subject to availability, which unfortunately your arrival coincided with such a busy period that this was not possible.

Never the less, I hope that this did not detract too much of such a positive experience.

Once again many thanks again for your review.

Warmest Regards,