“Great London stop-over with VIP neighbour”

The Rubens at the Palace
Ranked #79 of 1,064 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersBronze level
Halifax, United Kingdom
“Great London stop-over with VIP neighbour”
Reviewed March 12, 2014

We stayed at the Rubens for five nights during which time we found the staff to be extremely helpful and friendly. When a maid inadvertently threw our unread copy of the weekend Guardian into the recycling a member of staff immediately set about finding it, delivered it to our room and left us with a box of home-made biscuits as compensation! The breakfasts were good and the rooms small but beautifully furnished. The location could not be better, right next to Buck Palace and a relatively short walk from Kensington Museums and the West End. We didn't try the restaurants but the carvery seemed like excellent value.

Room Tip: We asked for a quiet room and were given on facing away from the main road. No traffic noise at all...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Hilarie S

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (871)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed March 11, 2014

I recently stayed four nights and had a lovely time. This is the first hotel I have stayed at where reception politely calls you after checking in to see if you're satisfied with your room. The front desk staff are lovely and efficient. I particularly liked that they remembered my face/name and made sure as I set off on my day exploring that I had all necessary information. Which leads me to their concierge team - a very efficient and capable group of well mannered and informed staff. Overall, had an excellent time. Well located, very clean and fair value for money. Bravo.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
2 Thank FrenchInSydney
channel islands
Reviewed March 10, 2014

So very convenient for Victoria - an oasis of order and calm.
The bar is a pleasant place to enjoy a drink before heading out for dinner/theatre etc.
However, our room was airless and the bed horribly hard and uncomfortable.
Breakfast is served in the spacious dining room and offers a fabulous selection of hot freshly cooked to order items or excellent cold choices.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Britannia07
MalcolmHendry, General Manager at The Rubens at the Palace, responded to this review, March 17, 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you for sharing your most recent experience with us.
I was sorry to read your comment regarding the bed in your room. Whilst we make every effort to ensure that mattresses are changed when necessary, I can confirm that our Executive Housekeeper has created a more thorough system to spot-check it and to ensure that an experience such as yours does not repeat itself.

Thank you for your compliments regards our location, and I was pleased to see that you enjoyed our selection of hot and cold breakfast choices.
Thank you again for your review.

Kind Regards
Malcolm Hendry
England
Reviewed March 9, 2014

We stayed here for one night, My husband daughter and myself, it was a wonderful experience. The room overlooked the Royal Mews, and the room was excellent. When we arrived there was a cake with Happy 50th Birthday written on also a birthday card !, Thank you this was a lovely surprise..... We had evening meal the food was excellent and the service was very good. The breakfast was also excellent loads to choose from. All the staff were very friendly and couldn't do enough for you.. Looking forward for a return visit. Thank You for a great stay

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank bratz2
York, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 9, 2014

I recently visited London with a friend to see Beyonce at the O2 Arena and we were lucky enough to get the opportunity to call The Rubens at the Palace our home for one night - it is fair to say that we were not disappointed with our stay!

Due to my job I visit London regularly and over the last few years I have had the opportunity to visit and stay in so many amazing hotels in London, but I can put my hand on my heart and say that none of them even slightly compare with The Rubens at the Palace. I can not recommend this hotel enough! The service at the hotel was outstanding. I am so happy to of finally had the chance to stay and discover such a wonderful hotel – it is an absolute gem.

If you are looking for a hotel in the heart of Victoria this is the one to choose, it is located on Buckingham Palace Road, opposite the Royal Mews and only a short walk from the front of Buckingham Palace. The hotel is also within a short walking distance from Victoria Coach Station and Victoria Tube Station, as well as the theaters which are home to Billy Elliott and Wicked.

Upon arrival at the hotel we received a very warm welcome from a friendly doorman who carried our bags into the reception area before introducing us to the staff on the reception. We arrived at the hotel at lunchtime before check in began and as expected our room wasn't quite ready as we were early, this wasn't a problem as concierge at the hotel were more than happy to look after our bags so that we could hit the shops on Oxford Street without having to drag our bags with us. I received a phone call from the hotel once our room was ready – talk about good customer service! Our room was a good size, very clean and tidy and in a quiet area and also had very modern decor yet still having that classic feel just like the rest of the hotel.

Now it was finally time for Beyonce and as you can imagine we were so excited, the concierge were very helpful and advised us of which tube lines we needed to use from Victoria Tube Station to get to North Greenwich where the O2 Arena, but as we were about to jump on the tube we realised that we didn't have the tickets for Beyonce with us – major drama! After a quick sprint back to the hotel to grab the tickets we were worried that that tube would be very busy as it was rush hour in London, so the doormen at the came to our rescue and got us a cab to Waterloo Tube Station where we joined to the Jubilee Line to the O2 Arena, our night was saved!

After a very comfortable night’s sleep in an extremely comfortable bed it was time for breakfast. I had heard very good things about the breakfast at The Rubens and the Palace and it can tell you it lived up to expectations!

Words do not do the staff at The Rubens at the Palace justice; they were so unbelievably kind and helpful. We would like to say a big thank you to the doormen, the reception staff and the concierge for helping to make our trip so great!

Overall we had a fabulous stay and we will definitely be returning in the future. We were literally treated like princesses – hospitality at its finest!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Nolan94
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 9, 2014

We booked afternoon tea as a surprise for our friend on her 60th Birthday. We were made to feel welcome from the moment we stepped through the door and shown to a lovely table for 3.
The Hotel knew it was a 60th Birthday and gave us Champagne and our friend had her cakes served on her own special plate on which the chef had piped Happy 60th Birthday.
The tea itself was great, nothing was too much trouble for the staff, and we were not rushed in any way.
The Hotel made a special occasion extra special for our friend and for us. So thank you all.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Joyce C
Moscow, Russia
Reviewed March 7, 2014

Stayed an extended 4 days weekend between Feb. 27th and March 3rd at the Rubens. Overall the hotel is very good and the location perfect just a 5 min. walk from Victoria Station. The only thing I can think of which was bothering us was the noise of a running water to the bathtub from the above us room. There was someone taking a bath very early in the morning ( 5am) and of course there was nop way we could sleep, beacuse the hotel is old and therefore youi can hear easily all the sounds next door and in the corridors. Breakfast was good and the service all right. Especially want to thank the front desk lady, Patricia, for her help to find a perfect room, 105 after having some problems with our first room of 241.
The concierge did an excellent job as well. Especially the Russian speaking young man from Estonia. Overall a very good hotel at a quite reasonable price considering staying in one of the most expensive cities in the world.

Room Tip: Room 105 was excellent. Went to Mamma Mia musical in the Novello Theatre at the Covent Garden...EXC...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to post your review of The Rubens at the Palace on Tripadvisor. I am most grateful for your feedback, which is such a valuable source of information for me and helps me monitor the service we provide.

I was sorry to learn that you were disturbed by the sound of running water from the room above during your stay. Please be assured that this is a complaint that we receive rarely. I am however delighted to read that overall you had a wonderful stay with us and found the staff to be courteous and helpful, and I have passed your comments on to the staff, especially to Patricia who was delighted to hear them. It is always wonderful to hear such positive feedback, which serves as a great motivator to my team.

Thank you once again for sharing your feedback.

Kind Regards