“Great Location and Great Service”

The Rubens at the Palace
Ranked #75 of 1,077 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed December 16, 2013

Staff was very friendly and helpful. Rooms are small, but so are many hotel rooms located in the city. They are very nicely kept and clean. The location is very convenient. My view was not very good at all, but they do have rooms with better view of Buckingham Palace.

Room Tip: if you are also wanting a good view from your room ask to be placed in the front of the hotel becaus...
2  Thank Yannet V
MalcolmHendry, General Manager at The Rubens at the Palace, responded to this reviewResponded December 20, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on TripAdvisor.

I was sorry to learn that you were disappointed with the size of the room you were allocated. As a slightly older building, we do have a wide cross section of shapes and sizes. If anyone is not entirely satisfied with the room that they are allocated, my team are always more than happy to show you room alternatives.

On a more positive note, it is wonderful to hear that you liked the location and overall feel of the hotel, and that you felt so well taken care of by my team. They genuinely enjoy looking after all our guests and were thrilled to hear your comments when I passed these on to them.

Yours sincerely,

Malcolm Hendry

Write a ReviewReviews (4,340)

Reviewed December 16, 2013

Great location and warm hearted atmosphere in this welcoming place.
Though I had a minor problem with not having a flexible shower hose in my room, the staff was very helpful and let me change the room as soon as one was available.
We have stayed in this hotel for several Christmas shopping weekends already and will certainly come back next year.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank tanyasweden
MalcolmHendry, General Manager at The Rubens at the Palace, responded to this reviewResponded December 17, 2013

Thank you for your lovely review.
So pleased to read that you loved our location, atmosphere and staff, and that your plans are certainly in place to return.

I have instructed my maintenance team to have a stock of shower hoses available should you or any other guest have a preference.

Once again, thank you for being our guest and I hope to see you again in 2014.

Kind Regards

Reviewed December 13, 2013

My Aunt and I stayed here in November and from the moment we stepped out of the cab we were made to feel special. The staff at this hotel were all very polite and friendly and extremely helpful, nothing was too much trouble for any of them. We ate in the carvery one evening and the meal was excellent. The breakfasts were also very good. We had a room overlooking the Royal News which was nice. The room was very clean and comfortable, lovely deep bath and lots of hot water and nice fluffy robes. We could not fault this hotel and we will certainly stay again.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank 914AngelaG
Reviewed December 13, 2013

This was our second visit to The Rubens at the Palace with our little dog. We were, all 3 of us, welcomed back by all of the staff. It truly is a "home from home" with plenty of personal attention and staff always having time to talk to us and assist.
We stayed in a Junior Suite which was very generously proportioned, well furnished and spotlessly clean.
We had dinner there on each of our 3 night stay and all were excellent - particularly the ones in the Library Restaurant.
We plan to come back next year.

Room Tip: Rooms at the front overlook the Buckingham Palace Mews
1  Thank John O
Reviewed December 13, 2013

I cannot say enough about the people and this hotel… it was truly the best experience I’ve had at any Hotel over the world… I felt like it was something out of the movies where the staff always smiled and
said hello how was your day or what are you doing today and then offer us the best advice where to go
and what to do..they went out of their way to do everything possible to make it one of our best trips
ever to London, I felt like I was treated like a rock star… The door man Bogdan (I think I spelled right) was the best doorman ever, told us the best places to go and gave us directions so perfect you can close your eyes and find it.. they served hot chocolate during the day ( it was great ) and my wife loves hot chocolate, well we came back later in the afternoon one day and they had just run out of HC so I said no worries I’m going to the bar for a drink (nice cozy bar) the girl working at the front the desk ( sorry I cannot remember her name because she was so nice to us) went over the bartender and had him make my wife a hot chocolate (no charge)..all of these staff members went way beyond out of their way to make everything right .. And last but not least was Vikki the customer service rep. who I must have emailed about every little detail and she responded like as if she was in the room next to me and always wrote back and answered everything I asked and said let me know if there is anything else and yes I would email her back with more and more questions..do yourself a favor and check out this hotel you will not be disappointed… the rooms are nice and clean, typical European size rooms but very nice… and very close to the tube (train) station Victoria Station about 2 blocks away less than a 5 min walk…

Room Tip: ask for a room facing the muse
1  Thank pbruno33
Reviewed December 10, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Rubens in November 2013. We arrived early on a Friday morning (about 10:30am) hopeful for an early check-in but nothing was available. We went out for a bit and returned mid-afternoon. Floriana at the front desk was particularly wonderful. She apologized again that they couldn’t provide the early check in but made sure we had a fantastic room looking out at the Royal Mews across the street. I should add the entire staff was great. The doorman was always attentive; the bell hop was extremely friendly; the concierge and everyone at the front desk were always polite and helpful.

The location is fantastic: literally across the street from Buckingham Palace. Victoria Station is just a short walk. The Bag o’ Nails pub is across the street.

The room was very comfortable, the bed was great. The bathroom was standard and included robes and slippers – very nice. Wifi was free. Our stay included daily breakfast buffet which was very good.

Our package also included a “three course” meal. I was looking forward to this but it turned out to be a bit disappointing. The “three courses” turned out to be three stations at the buffet… the food was also mediocre.

Rubens also offers an “English Tea” which I was never able to schedule (we really ran around a bit) but after the three course dinner I wasn’t sorry I missed the tea…

On the whole I strongly recommend the Rubens at the Palace. The service is impeccable. It would be hard to overstate how attentive everyone was. The rooms are very nice; the location is fantastic.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Steve G
MalcolmHendry, General Manager at The Rubens at the Palace, responded to this reviewResponded December 11, 2013

Thank you for your wonderful review. It is such a pleasure to read a guests appreciation of our team here.

I am sorry that you were disappointed that your dining experience was served in our Old Masters restaurant, offering a Buffet/Carvery. This style of service is so popular with many of our guests, but I am sorry that this was not the case with your self. I have asked my team to try and be as sensitive as possible to any guests with a preference away from a Buffet/Carvery and leaning towards an a la carte style of service.

Thank you so much for your glowing recommendation, featuring again our staff, but also citing our bedrooms and fantastic location. My sincere thanks again for your review.

Kind Regards

Reviewed December 9, 2013

The hotel staff had been very patient with us as had to change plan to visit twice, so thank you.
The hotel staff were very weloming and as this was a 40 bday treat was a great experience being neighbours to the Queen!
We had the carvary which was really tasty, and again really special service. Yummy breakfast.
Our room looked toward the palace and was very comfortable and super little touches, which as was their standard room was a surprise.
Would we recommend YES would we go back YES!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business