“A warm and friendly welcome to ourselves and our dog”

The Rubens at the Palace
Ranked #77 of 1,077 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed December 13, 2013

This was our second visit to The Rubens at the Palace with our little dog. We were, all 3 of us, welcomed back by all of the staff. It truly is a "home from home" with plenty of personal attention and staff always having time to talk to us and assist.
We stayed in a Junior Suite which was very generously proportioned, well furnished and spotlessly clean.
We had dinner there on each of our 3 night stay and all were excellent - particularly the ones in the Library Restaurant.
We plan to come back next year.

Room Tip: Rooms at the front overlook the Buckingham Palace Mews
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank John O

Reviewed December 13, 2013

I cannot say enough about the people and this hotel… it was truly the best experience I’ve had at any Hotel over the world… I felt like it was something out of the movies where the staff always smiled and
said hello how was your day or what are you doing today and then offer us the best advice where to go
and what to do..they went out of their way to do everything possible to make it one of our best trips
ever to London, I felt like I was treated like a rock star… The door man Bogdan (I think I spelled right) was the best doorman ever, told us the best places to go and gave us directions so perfect you can close your eyes and find it.. they served hot chocolate during the day ( it was great ) and my wife loves hot chocolate, well we came back later in the afternoon one day and they had just run out of HC so I said no worries I’m going to the bar for a drink (nice cozy bar) the girl working at the front the desk ( sorry I cannot remember her name because she was so nice to us) went over the bartender and had him make my wife a hot chocolate (no charge)..all of these staff members went way beyond out of their way to make everything right .. And last but not least was Vikki the customer service rep. who I must have emailed about every little detail and she responded like as if she was in the room next to me and always wrote back and answered everything I asked and said let me know if there is anything else and yes I would email her back with more and more questions..do yourself a favor and check out this hotel you will not be disappointed… the rooms are nice and clean, typical European size rooms but very nice… and very close to the tube (train) station Victoria Station about 2 blocks away less than a 5 min walk…

Room Tip: ask for a room facing the muse
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank pbruno33
Reviewed December 10, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Rubens in November 2013. We arrived early on a Friday morning (about 10:30am) hopeful for an early check-in but nothing was available. We went out for a bit and returned mid-afternoon. Floriana at the front desk was particularly wonderful. She apologized again that they couldn’t provide the early check in but made sure we had a fantastic room looking out at the Royal Mews across the street. I should add the entire staff was great. The doorman was always attentive; the bell hop was extremely friendly; the concierge and everyone at the front desk were always polite and helpful.

The location is fantastic: literally across the street from Buckingham Palace. Victoria Station is just a short walk. The Bag o’ Nails pub is across the street.

The room was very comfortable, the bed was great. The bathroom was standard and included robes and slippers – very nice. Wifi was free. Our stay included daily breakfast buffet which was very good.

Our package also included a “three course” meal. I was looking forward to this but it turned out to be a bit disappointing. The “three courses” turned out to be three stations at the buffet… the food was also mediocre.

Rubens also offers an “English Tea” which I was never able to schedule (we really ran around a bit) but after the three course dinner I wasn’t sorry I missed the tea…

On the whole I strongly recommend the Rubens at the Palace. The service is impeccable. It would be hard to overstate how attentive everyone was. The rooms are very nice; the location is fantastic.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Steve G
MalcolmHendry, General Manager at The Rubens at the Palace, responded to this reviewResponded December 11, 2013

Thank you for your wonderful review. It is such a pleasure to read a guests appreciation of our team here.

I am sorry that you were disappointed that your dining experience was served in our Old Masters restaurant, offering a Buffet/Carvery. This style of service is so popular with many of our guests, but I am sorry that this was not the case with your self. I have asked my team to try and be as sensitive as possible to any guests with a preference away from a Buffet/Carvery and leaning towards an a la carte style of service.

Thank you so much for your glowing recommendation, featuring again our staff, but also citing our bedrooms and fantastic location. My sincere thanks again for your review.

Kind Regards

Malcolm Hendry

Reviewed December 9, 2013

The hotel staff had been very patient with us as had to change plan to visit twice, so thank you.
The hotel staff were very weloming and as this was a 40 bday treat was a great experience being neighbours to the Queen!
We had the carvary which was really tasty, and again really special service. Yummy breakfast.
Our room looked toward the palace and was very comfortable and super little touches, which as was their standard room was a surprise.
Would we recommend YES would we go back YES!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed December 8, 2013 via mobile

We moved to this hotel from another london hotel but i wished we had stayed here for our whole stay. Its old fashioned but so are its values of comfort excellent staff everyone has time for you its clean and well positioned. The bteakfast was excellent. I have stayed before and my lesson is learnt i shall only stay at the Rubens....

Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 8, 2013

I was looking forward to staying in this hotel as it is part if the Red Carnation group, I normally stay at the Milestone but wanted to stay in a different part of London. Very convenient for the tube which is a short walk away and the view from the room was opposite the Royal Mews. Room was small but I expected this.

Unfortunately the carvery meal was inedible apart from the beef which was good, due to the undercooked (raw) vegetables, tasteless soup, roast potatoes were the worst as they just looked like they had been tossed in a pan for a few minutes and cooked the day before, I cut into one which was hard outside and empty of potato inside, spoiled the meal completely for me as I love my "roasties". Gravy was just brown water. I am not a chef but I have cooked countless roast
dinners and would ensure that any food that came out of my kitchen would look and taste appetising even if I didn't cook it myself.

The food and bevereages manager was made aware and I had lots of apologies, but it is not the front of house staff that are at fault, the buck stops with whoever is in charge of the kitchen. I would hope that my concerns were filtered back and taken as constructive feedback.

Yes, I know it is not a 5 star hotel and did not expect the same standards but good food is expected.

P.S. Turn down service removed our face cloths from the bathroom and did not replace them, when I mentioned to the front desk I was told I should have rung down to ask, O.K. but again a basic thing that was overlooked.

Room Tip: Higher floor to front overlooks Royal Mews
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank loxton

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review. I was again sorry to read that you and your friend (previous review) were disappointed with your meal in our Carvery. I have certainly taken the concerns from both reviews back to my chef and reiterated our need for a greater consistency of quality and that we ensure that we are doing all that we can to deliver a dining experience that exceeds expectations.

You are absolutely right, good food is good food, and this should have been the case. My apologies again for your disappointment, but thank you for taking the time to share your experience with me.

Kind Regards
Malcolm Hendry

Reviewed December 5, 2013 via mobile

Rubens was delightful from the moment I walked in. The staff were friendly and efficient, room was excellent and breakfast outstanding. The decor is fabulous and relaxed, it is also an extremely clean property. Room are comfortable and spacious. Bathrooms great.

Concierge staff as well as the reception were great! Well done Rubens

Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple