“Wendy coetzer”

The Rubens at the Palace
Ranked #74 of 1,081 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed December 5, 2013 via mobile

Rubens was delightful from the moment I walked in. The staff were friendly and efficient, room was excellent and breakfast outstanding. The decor is fabulous and relaxed, it is also an extremely clean property. Room are comfortable and spacious. Bathrooms great.

Concierge staff as well as the reception were great! Well done Rubens

Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Wendy C
Write a ReviewReviews (4,412)

Reviewed December 5, 2013

Travelled through Superbreak for a long weekend and having stayed in other 4 star London hotels was pleasantly surprised at the quality of the welcome and the breakfast.On arrival offered a complimentary glass of champagne-real none of your prosecco rubbish here-as room not quite ready.Room was on small side but better than other London hotels we've stayed in.Bed was comfy and room quiet although at back of hotel so no view.Only negatives;
Room cleaner did not replace shower gel unless asked and on our return home discovered that we had been entitled to a free bottle of champagne in room but which did not appear.Otherwise service in bar and restaurant as well as reception first class.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
MalcolmHendry, General Manager at The Rubens at the Palace, responded to this reviewResponded December 11, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience.

I was disappointed to learn that you experienced an inconsistent service from my Housekeeping team. Please be assured that I have passed your comments on to my Executive Housekeeper and reiterated the importance of consistency of service and standards, which she in turn has taken back to her team. Furthermore, I am sorry that you did not receive the free bottle of Champagne in your room that you were entitled to. My apologies again for your disappointment, but thank you for taking the time to share your experience with me.

On a more positive note, I was delighted to read that you liked our breakfast offering and the welcome you received upon arrival by my team to be wonderful. Positive comments like yours are the best way to motivate my team as it shows them that their hard work is appreciated. They were equally thrilled to hear your comments when I passed these on to them.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed December 5, 2013

My friend and myself booked a one night stay here instead of the Milestone which is normally our Xmas treat.
On arrival our room wasn't ready so we sat in the bar with some complimentary hot chocolate.
Our room 413 was ready in about 10 mins so up we went. The room it's self was twin with a good view of the royal mews.
It was very small with certain pieces of furniture in there that was not needed as in 2 bed side cabinets place against the wall, not a problem to us though.
We then thought we would book dinner in the carvery which served food from 5 till 6.30pm.
We went down for dinner at 5.50pm and it went downhill from there.
The cold starter selection was ok just OK. Then we tried the soup and I have to say it was tasteless and watery my friend left all of hers I added some salt and had some of it.
We then went up for the main course. Beef or turkey and a selection of veg which was not much to choose from.
We both opted for the beef which was delicious and that was the only thing on the plate that was edible?
The boiled potatoes I could not put my knife through them same with carrots and cauliflower cheese, the roasties were disgusting and it seemed they had been in hot holding since lunch time or earlier the Yorkshire didn't even taste freshly made.
I asked for fresh ones and the waitress who by the way was lovely brought a plate of them over to me I put some on my plate and they were cold!
At this point I knew I wasn't going to eat it.
There were lots of apologies and I was told I wouldn't be expected to pay .
It was explained to us that they rotate the food and don't advise people to eat there late 5.50pm late!!
Left the restaurant not happy and went out to eat.
Breakfast was good but not hot, lots of apologies given again but it's not the waitresses fault or the morning managers.
The chef needs to taste his food or if there is a manager in the kitchen he/she should be watching what is going on out there.
It certainly should not belong to the red carnation group
Saying that all staff were really pleasant and helpful.
Managers should take note and manage
Very disappointed .

Room Tip: Higher floor
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank joylin
MalcolmHendry, General Manager at The Rubens at the Palace, responded to this reviewResponded December 6, 2013

Thank you for your review and for taking the time to share your experience with me.

I was desperately sorry to read of your experience in our Old Masters Restaurant, for breakfast and specifically dinner. Our buffet quality and temperature is something that we work very hard on, and whilst accept that both have an element of subjectiveness depending on the person and the fact that we are serving a buffet, I was sorry that you were disappointed. I have reiterated to my Food & Beverage team and chefs, the standard that we insist on, and they like myself have taken onboard your comments.

On a positive note, I appreciate your praise of our team here. In some ways as a larger 4 star hotel, being compared to our sister property The Milestone; a much smaller 5 star boutique property is flattering. I am sorry however that on this occasion your dining experiences practised vs. living up to the standards that they have set for you during your many stays with them.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed December 3, 2013 via mobile

Great location, great helpful staff, tiny & tidy typical central london rooms, great breakfast and evening snacks with live music. Would go there again for a shopping spree in london. Rights next to the hotel you have shopping options and some nice local stores. Great connection to Victoria station and all other public transport.

• Stayed: November 2013
Reviewed December 3, 2013

Stayed here 30th Dec to 1st Dec. Room 410 with City View. Very quiet room. One of the best nights sleep had in London. We found Check In and Check Out very professional and welcoming. We also dined at the Library Restaurant, food and service there was excellent. We have stayed in many hotels in London and found this particular hotel to be very comfortable and ticked all the right boxes. Staff that served us pre-dinner drinks and during the meal were of high standard and a credit to the hotel. Will definitely return to this hotel as full of character and an ideal location. Recommended.

2  Thank 69
Reviewed December 3, 2013

We have stayed at The Rubens on several occasions, usually for a theatre visit. We were there again last week & the hotel did not disappoint. Excellent service from all the staff, lovely breakfasts in very pleasant surroundings & a great location for walking around the City. The Rubens is certainly not the cheapest 4 star but we always enjoy our stay in this elegant & friendly hotel.

2  Thank JSM785
Reviewed December 2, 2013

The Rubens is centrally located right next to Buckingham Palace (actually across the street from the Royal Mews). My wife and I were in London on business for 10 days. When we first checked in the room they gave us was so small we could not fit our luggage in it. We requested a bigger room, and they gave us a slightly bigger one. However, the room had a musty smell to it, and like many hotels in the City, did not have great views. In addition, the hotel itself has old creaky floors. Our room's floor was tilted, so much so that the head of the bed was at least several inches lower than our feet. The Cavalry Lounge was really nice, and the Library restaurant downstairs was excellent. No business room to speak of (they have a desk in the hallway on the second floor) but they do have several nice conference rooms.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank laffingnetizen

Thank you for your review. I was pleased to read that you found our Cavalry Bar/Lounge and the Library restaurant to be excellent.

However, I am sorry that you were a little disappointed with the size of your room. As a slightly older building, we do have a wide cross section of shapes and sizes. If anyone is not entirely satisfied with the room that they are allocated, my team are always more than happy to show you room alternatives and I am glad that during your stay we were able to do this.

I am sorry that your experience was not as positive as that of others on this site but do hope that you will return to The Rubens and give us the opportunity to restore your faith in the hotel and us.

Yours sincerely,