“Good Choice hotel”

GreenLeadersBronze level
kentucky
“Good Choice hotel”
Reviewed November 29, 2013

We just returned from The Rubens for a three night weekend stay, our first in London. Our first impression was great due to the wonderful friendly front desk staff. We booked a superior king which turned out to be a nicely decorated cozy room other than the grout needing attention in the bathroom. Our view was of a office type building next very close, but the heavy curtains solved that problem. Enjoyed the in room coffee/tea service and when I left a note for the cleaning staff to stock more cream, I received that amount everyday:). Every time we passed any staff in the hallways they always made a point to say hello. The young doorman recommended a great pub for watching the soccer match and getting a quick bite. The location could not have been better with the Palace right there, Victoria Station close by and the Hoho bus stop in front , shops and restaurants nearby. We definitely recommend this hotel and if we are lucky enough to return to London we will be staying here.

1 Thank gunnerdog
MalcolmHendry, General Manager at The Rubens at the Palace, responded to this review, December 13, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post your review and sharing your experience with me.

I was delighted to read that you found my team to be so wonderful and that you will consider staying with us again in the future. Such positive feedback is the best way to motivate my staff as it shows them that their hard work is appreciated.

However, I was sorry to learn that you felt that the bathroom walls required more attention. I have discussed your feedback with my Executive Housekeeper who has reiterated to her team the importance of consistency of standards and service, as well as a greater attention to detail. Please accept my sincere apologies for any inconvenience caused.

Thank you so much for recognising our central location and staff, and I hope that we get the chance to welcome you back to The Rubens.

Best Regards,

Malcolm Hendry

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (894)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Stavanger
Reviewed November 28, 2013

Good 4 star hotel near Buckingham Palace, just a short walk from Victoria station. Very convenient location when arriving on the Gatwick Express. Easy to get a bus or tube to any place in London from this area. Very friendly staff. Our room was smaller than expected, as I had booked a superior room. It was quiet, and the air-conditioning worked very well. The room had wall-to-wall carpeting and the tapestry on the walls was also of textile. Asthmatics may have a problem here. However, smoking was not allowed, and I did not smell any smoke anywhere. The breakfast was very good. Nice bar and restaurant.

Melbourne
Reviewed November 28, 2013

I stayed at the Rubens with my daughter for a four-day trip to London (Fri-Mon). The welcome and check-in were fantastic, smooth and effortless. Our room was front-facing (as requested) and small, but I was prepared for this by previous trip advisor reviews so it wasn't an issue. There were a couple of small incidents which led me to provide some feedback to the Hotel's management given that this is a quality hotel. The response was swift and professional. I was offered a room upgrade (which I didn't take, but the gesture was appreciated) and the issues I'd raised were promptly dealt with. The breakfast was high quality (apart from hotel coffee) and we had a meal in the Old Master's Carvery which was excellent (this was part of our accommodation rate). The position of the Rubens is ideal for tourism. I have to congratulate the Rubens for the professional and personable staff (particularly at the Concierge desk).

Room Tip: Ask to see the room if size is an issue for you
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank matjabsa
MalcolmHendry, General Manager at The Rubens at the Palace, responded to this review, November 29, 2013
Thank you for your review of your recent stay with us.

I was delighted to read that amongst other things, you enjoyed an excellent dinner in our Old Masters Restaurant. We pride ourselves on aiming to provide the perfect experience every time to all of our guests, but with that on an occasion may not happen straight away, that our team are able to pick up on this and to make the appropriate adjustments to a guests stay. I am glad to read that we were able to do this for you.

Thank you again for taking the time to share your experience.

Kind Regards

Northumberland, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 25, 2013

My wife and I visited here with another couple as we were attending the Festival of Rememberance. First impressions were very good and greeted by very curteous staff, as we arrived early the consierge took care of our bags until our rooms were ready. When we arrived back later that afternoon our bags were ready in our rooms which definately had the 'wow' factor. We had a look at our friends room which was decorated completely different which we thought was a good touch. The hotel was spotless and with handwritten notes welcoming us to the hotel. Breakfast was as good as you get from a large hotel, everything was fresh and displayed in an appealing way. All staff were helpfull and nothing too much trouble with The head consierge introducing us to the restaraunt next door with the recommendation for a Wagu beefburger which was top class. The only gripe was paying £22.50 for 3 black coffees and a cup of tea as at the end of the day its only boiling water and a few granules of tea/beans! saying that we probably will use this hotel again as its perfectly situated and we never once used the Tube all weekend.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank mrgrumpy
Thank you for the review of your recent stay.

Hearing ones guest experience helps me immensely to ensure that our services and consistency levels are as high as they can be.

I was pleased to read of the highlights of your stay, but sorry that our lounge prices offended. We do try very hard to maintain good value pricing and feel that we are comparing to other competitor hotels in our area. However, I am sorry that this has put a slight disappointment in your experience. Thus being said, I am hopeful that other areas of value of enjoyment made up someway for this.

Thank you for your feedback.

Kind Regards

Kenilworth, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 25, 2013

Stayed with wife and 2 kids for 1 night, arrived to a wonderful welcome, lots of attention to the children, took the pressure of the adults while we checked in (and had a drink - very nice selection!) room was spacious and very quiet didn't hear any traffic or street noise. Breakfast was good, lots of choice and a very spacious dining area. Location is brilliant, near to the palace and waking distance to Oxford St etc.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Johnemmerson
Durham, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 24, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Rubens in November 2013. The hotel is well situated near to Victoria Tube and in close walking distance to all attractions. All staff were extremely friendly and helpful and nothing was too much trouble. I would certainly recommend taking advantage of the free turn down service and also eating in the Old Masters Restaurant. Their carvery was extremely good.

Only negative I had was coffee was lukewarm at breakfast but I an live with that.

I would certainly stay here again.

Room Tip: Room 232 was ideal as it is in the centre of the hotel and of the main road. It was very quiet.
1 Thank GiovanniYeldarbo
MalcolmHendry, General Manager at The Rubens at the Palace, responded to this review, November 28, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review and for taking the time to share your experience with others. I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay, highlighting specifically our welcome central location and our Old Masters Restaurant. Our Rib of Beef is a particular favourite amongst our guests.

I am sorry to hear of your coffee issue and have addressed this with my breakfast team. Please accept my sincere apologies for any inconvenience caused.

I hope to have the opportunity to personally welcome you back to The Rubens at the Palace in the not too distant future.

With my very best regards,

Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 24, 2013

Stayed at the hotel as part of a London Theatre visit. All staff extremely friendly, very comfortable and well furnished bedroom and strong attention to detail. Happened to mention to a member of staff it was a Wedding Anniversary and we later found a card and small gift in our room. Also, very pleasant and relaxing bar area with live pianist.