“Overnight stay for theatre trip”

The Rubens at the Palace
Ranked #74 of 1,081 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed September 1, 2013

Front desk & concierge team very professional & friendly - most welcoming. Very pleased with service and room was spotless & tastefully decorated. Did hear some noise during night within hotel but no traffic noise from busy road. Had picnic/champagne within our 'Wicked' deal' which was delicious. Provided chilled in picnic rucksack which we took to Green Park only minutes walk away. English breakfast was well cooked with plenty of choice of various other breakfast foods. Restaurant itself was a delightful room. Hotel minutes walk from Victoria stations & Apollo theatre all so convenient for us - good shops & other restaurants in the immediate locality. Would stay there again for sure...it was lovely.

3  Thank Diana D
Write a ReviewReviews (4,410)

Reviewed August 31, 2013

The title just about completes my review.

When we arrived, I found the staff cheerful, very helpful and welcoming. Though the elevators were small, our baggage was soon delivered to our well-appointed but small room (and we upgraded to superior category).

The beds were excellent and made up with top quality sheets and blankets. Just about every amenity -- bathrobes, safe, iron and board, tea and coffee maker -- was provided even though it was difficult to find places to put everything.

The breakfast buffet was quite extensive with eggs cooked to order, some fruit and, overall, a good selection.

Of course, the location across from the Queen's stables and a block away from Buckingham Palace was outstanding.

The guest relations manager, Janine, went out of her way to make us and our friends happy.

Good value, good location and good service.

By the way, the "sister restaurant" next door (BBar) is excellent and there is actually a boutique hotel "41" located above Rubens. We took at look at 41 and were very impressed. Next time...

Room Tip: Choose the largest room for your budget
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank passionatetraveler20
MalcolmHendry, General Manager at The Rubens at the Palace, responded to this reviewResponded September 3, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on TripAdvisor.

I was sorry to learn that you were disappointed with the size of the room you were allocated. As a slightly older building, we do have a wide cross section of shapes and sizes. If anyone is not entirely satisfied with the room that they are allocated, my team are always more than happy to show you room alternatives.

On a more positive note, it is wonderful to hear that you liked the location and overall feel of the hotel, and that you felt so well taken care of by my team. They genuinely enjoy looking after all our guests and were thrilled to hear your comments when I passed these on to them. Janine was particularly pleased to know that you appreciated her assistance so much.

My team and I hope to have the opportunity of welcoming you back to The Rubens, or to 41 for the first time, in the not too distant future.

Yours sincerely,

Malcolm Hendry

Reviewed August 31, 2013

I am currently travelling home from London after a whirlwind surprise trip for my partner (now fiancé).

I booked (through Secret Escapes) her a 2 night theatre break with champagne picnic at the Rubens at the Palace hotel and words cannot describe how happy I am with the whole experience.

From the start even before I arrived Mr Hendry (hotel manager) was endless in providing detailed info/suggestions in helping plan our trip. I cannot thank him enough. Upon arrival we walked into a grand hotel foyer and immediately greeted by Marta the duty manageress who made us feel relaxed and at home straight away!

I honestly cannot put into words how good this hotel/service and staff are. The place is beautiful, constantly being cleaned and the staff are so pleasant and second to none when carrying out their duties.

Concierge are a really great bunch of guys and help with everything. We got tickets for attractions and they gave us great info/service.

The beds are lovely and comfortable with the turn down service such a lovely touch especially our engagement night. The staff lit candles and trailed rose petals everywhere, such a touching gesture.

Nothing was too much when they are catering to your every need and Marta and her staff definitely went that extra mile to ensure our stay was as special and memorable as possible. I cannot recommend this place highly enough. A place that will be dear to our hearts for as long as we live.

To Malcolm, Marta and all the guys at the Rubens thanks for everything and we will see you again soon! Definitely.

Regards,

Two very happy guests...

Dan Howe and Claire Wright.

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank DanClaireAva
Reviewed August 31, 2013

My husband and my two sons (18 & 23) and I spent 4 nights here in August. We had two rooms. Our first room was almost comical - there was just no room for myself, my husband and our 2 suitcases - so we called down to the front desk and within the hour we had moved both rooms - the boys' room was not too too small but we wanted to be on the same floor as them - so we all moved. This is an older hotel so very narrow hallways and very small elevator - and of course some very small rooms. The breakfast was nice to have right there and a good array of foods from hearty to healthy. We did not find the concierge service to be at all helpful. The front desk was ever so kind and helpful with as many suggestions as they could come up including a great Indian restaurant right down the street that we just loved. We needed to get to a very early chunnel train and inquired two days early to please have a larger cab available for us as there were 4 of us and 4 bags - the concierge - said there would be no problem getting fit into a london cab. As we had been riding the london cabs for 2 days - we asked if we could please hire/reserve a van cab vs. the typical cab and he almost rudely insisted it would be fine. Well of course 6AM comes and we are piled, squished and shoved into a london cab which at that hour and having already been up and packing and getting down to the lobby was not appreciated. Although the manager had the kitchen prepare a take away breakfast for us - which was a lovely touch as we were piled in. The location of the hotel is quite nice and central. I would say that the lobby is as small as the hallways and elevator - so if you are looking for a "grand" hotel - this is not the place - but the rooms were clean if small - as were the bathrooms - although be ready for a hike up into the tub/shower combo. I just completed knee replacement surgery and it was a bit of an effort to get up and into the tub and then back out. Overall a well located and clean hotel with some very hard working and pleasant staff.

Room Tip: Street side rooms are not noisy at all - and compared to the alley facing - I think they would be a...
1  Thank psuehouston

Thank you for taking the time to post your review of The Rubens at the Palace on Tripadvisor. I am most grateful for your feedback, which is such a valuable source of information for me, regardless of whether it is good or bad, and helps me monitor the service we provide.

I was sorry to learn that you found the rooms you were originally allocated to be too small but was delighted to hear that my team were able to move you and your family to more suitable rooms. In terms of accessibility of the bathrooms, we do have rooms with additional grab rails or with walk-in showers, so if you are more comfortable with these options, please feel free to request them at the time of booking. It is fantastic to know that you were impressed with the service you received from my Reception team and that you appreciated their recommendations of local restaurants.

We receive so many compliments on our Concierge team that I am sorry to hear that you did not find them to be very helpful. It is disappointing to know that you were dissatisfied with their advice about taxi transportation to St Pancras. In no way does your experience reflect the high standards of service we pride ourselves on delivering here at The Rubens. I have conveyed your dissatisfaction to my Front of House Manager and have reiterated the importance of consistency of service, which she in turn has taken back to the team. I have also reminded my Concierge team of the importance of clear communication when explaining transport options and of respecting guest preferences should they prefer to pre-book transfers.

I do hope that you will return to The Rubens and give us the opportunity to restore your faith in the hotel and us.

Yours sincerely,

Malcolm Hendry

Reviewed August 30, 2013

I can't say enough about this great hotel. I spent a week there in August and would go again in a minute. It's within easy walking distance of many attractions, plus 4 blocks to tour coach departure stations. The rooms are beautifully finished - far better than your "average" London hotel, and the staff is friendly, attentive and most helpful. With a choice of three on-site restaurants and a free daily breakfast, you needn't ever leave! As a solo traveling woman this was an ideal spot for a vacation.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank Carol V
Reviewed August 29, 2013

We arrived early to our hotel (after an all night flight from the states) and our rooms were not ready. No problem. They gave as a room to take showers and rest up. Later in the day when we checked into our rooms I was just blown away. The pictures do not do it justice. It is an absolutely breathtaking hotel. The furniture was upscale, the bathrooms decked out as much as possible. I can not think of another thing these rooms needed. They even offer turndown service, with a chocolate. Bed was very comfortable, sheets very smooth, very clean. I just can not think of one negative thing to say about it. The internet is free in all the rooms, the staff, top notch. We spent a month in Europe and it was kinda sad that the first place we stayed was so incredible, nothing else compared. Treat yourself, it is very close to the park, the palace, the busses and the trains. You will not be disappointed.

Room Tip: They do not have a bad room, you are in great hands!
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Beth S
Reviewed August 28, 2013

Spent the weekend at the Rubens. View from the window was of Buckingham palace rear entrance which was nice being the queens neighbour for the weekend.not sure if she would have seen me standing in my shorts looking out the window ! Enjoyed the breakfast in the morning ,staff were very helpful rooms could do with a slight touch up where there have been a few knocks on the woodwork. Old building with character was nice.would recommend just for the location .close to Victoria station ,Buckingham palace.and friendly staff.beds were so soft,slept like a baby .....

Room Tip: Try and get street facing room
7  Thank shaanj_12