“brilliant staff”

GreenLeadersBronze level
manchester
“brilliant staff”
Reviewed June 18, 2013

The Rubens is a hotel ive wanted to stay at for many years, simply because of its location, and connection with 'the palace'
i have to say i was a tiny bit disappointed, and im sorry to have to say that. I never give bad reviews on hotels, i suppose i prefer to just write a review when i have something positive to say, but im going to make an exception in the Rubens case.
First of all though i have to stress that the staff were superb. Truly first class, friendly, welcoming service. The disappointment comes from the fact that the decor and size of the hotel in general were not quite as impressive as i thought, and certainly not the impression given from photographs on the website (but then, when do photographs on websites ever reflect reality i suppose) the decor is old fashioned and classic, which ordinarily is my preferred choice. I detest glass and chrome monoliths and would much rather have beautiful old fashioned classic interiors. The problem with the Rubens is, it borders on slightly shabby. The public areas are not large, but not every hotel in London can have a lobby the size and grandeur of the Savoy or Claridges, and i do appreciate that those hotels are stratospheric in terms of prices, but The Rubens isnt far behind in terms of expense. I think this is probably my main reason for giving the hotel an unfavourable review. The cost. For the amount paid im afraid i found the room very overpriced. It was very small, although clean and pleasantly decorated, it was just not worth nearly £250.
Basically if i was asked would i stay at this hotel again, i would have to answer almost certainly no, and its purely down to the size of rooms, the faint air of shabbiness in the decor, and the lack of grandeur for the price paid (i could be in a minority of course, but i dont consider £250 cheap) however the staff, as mentioned, were beyond reproach and superb!

Room Tip: my friend paid extra for a mews view room...i wouldnt say it was worth the extra, unless perhaps the...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
MalcolmHendry, General Manager at The Rubens at the Palace, responded to this review, June 20, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post your review of The Rubens.

It is wonderful to hear that you have always wanted to stay at The Rubens due to its location and its connection with the larger Palace across the road. However, I was sorry to read that your visit did not live up to your expectations in terms of the overall decor and style of the facilities here. As a slightly older building, we do have a wide cross section of shapes and sizes of accommodation with varying decor schemes. The individuality of our rooms is part of what many of our regular guests like about the property. Should the room you are allocated not be to your taste, my team are always happy to show you other available room options.

I was delighted to read that you found my team to be so friendly and welcoming and that you felt the service they provided was excellent. They do genuinely care about all our guests and go above and beyond to ensure that every guest stay is a memorable one. This kind of feedback goes a long way in keeping them motivated to look after our guests, and they were ever so pleased to hear your praise when I shared this with them.

I am very sorry that the hotel itself was not to your liking, but thank you for also sharing the positive aspects of your stay. My team and I hope that you will consider returning to The Rubens in future.

Yours sincerely,

Malcolm Hendry

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (894)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
East London, South Africa
Reviewed June 17, 2013

The Rubens is a good tourist hotel. Service is good with the decor a bit dated unless you like the old world feel. The rooms are a bit cluttered for their size for me.The breakfasts are great and the bar serves a great casual meal.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the Palace may have a better view but can be noisy
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Georgia
Reviewed June 17, 2013

Just returned from a 2 week trip to London and Scotland where we stayed in 3 different hotels. The reviews here are not wrong, Rubens was by far superior! Every staff member that we encountered was always pleasant, inquiring about our day and if they could be of any help. They provided maps and excellent directions anytime we needed help. The afternoon tea was also very good. If we make it back to London, rest assured we will be staying at the Rubens!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Northampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 15, 2013

I booked Rubens as I was visiting the Buckingham Palace Mews after the Change of Guards, we got there 15 minutes before the appointment but staff were good enough to show us to our table - beside the windows so we can people watch! The pre-starter (shot of Strawberry sorbet) was exquisite! Me and my friend both had a nice cold glass of pink bubbly. Also very good selection of teas.
Sandwiches are to die for (I had two of the Chicken and almond bridge roll!) but cakes were so-so. Was too full to try the scones but the staff was more than happy to wrap it up in a nice box for my friend to take away! If they do 2 for 1 again I will definitely come again!

Room Tip: Don't choose the table by the window if you are not keen with having tea at a coffee table - the...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Wing_wing1
Bellmore, New York
Reviewed June 15, 2013

We just returned from a one week stay at The Rubens at the Palace. We had 2 rooms which were both Superior sized so they were a little larger and more comfortable than the usual tiny European rooms. Our rooms were extremely clean and comfortable. The bathrooms were refurbished, fully tiled and clean. The shower water pressure was amazing. I actually miss it! The hotel was very quiet. I never once heard our neighbors above or next to us. The only noise I heard was garbage collection in the morning because our room was located on the side where there was an alleyway.

When we arrived our two rooms were on different floors although we requested rooms near each other. This was corrected by the time we returned from lunch.

All of the staff were very friendly and accommodating.

I cannot stress how perfect this location is. Central to so many sights and if you like to walk, you can take a 15 minute walk to Westminster Abbey, Parliament/Big Ben, London Eye, Trafalgar Square, Leicester Square. Buckingham Palace is literally down the block. Victoria Station is 2 blocks away which is close enough to commute from and far enough to not feel as if you're staying near a train station.

Breakfast....we had the buffet breakfast added to our room rate simply because we just like to go down, have a nice breakfast and not worry about where to go to have breakfast. The buffet was very nice although it was exactly the same items every morning. There were various cold cereals, meats, cheeses, yogurt, fruit, breads, croissants, scrambled eggs, hard boiled eggs, made to order poached eggs, made to order fried eggs (and they are literally fried in a big pot of oil not like we fry them in the U.S.), button mushrooms, beans, roasted tomatoes, and fried shredded potato.

Absolutely loved the free Wifi. With 17 and 21 year olds, this was important to us when selecting a hotel. We learned the hard way last year in Cannes when we paid 15 euros for 1 hour Wifi access.

Don't hesitate to stay here. I am very selective with hotels and we were very happy here.

• Stayed June 2013
3 Thank MaD64
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 14, 2013

Stayed here in June. Booked the royal mews facing room which was basically a view of the main road and the walls of Buckingham palace. The hotel is in a great location. The rooms... Hmm... Not that impressive and the toilets need a good clean. The beds were however fantastic but the hotel staff from the minute you walk in to walking out were just fantastic. They took care of every single request i made. The breakfast was just brilliant. The dining areas and the bar have a very majestic feel to them

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank vindoc2000
MalcolmHendry, General Manager at The Rubens at the Palace, responded to this review, June 18, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post your review of The Rubens at the Palace.

I was delighted to read that you were impressed with the quality of the beds and with our breakfast offering, and that you found the public areas to have a majestic feel to them. However, I was concerned to read of the housekeeping inconsistencies in your room and of the fact that you did not like the room you were allocated. I have addressed your comments with my Executive Housekeeper and have reiterated the importance of consistency of standards, which she in turn has taken back to her team. As a slightly older building, we do have a wide cross section of shapes and sizes of accommodation with different styles of decor and colour schemes. Please feel free to make any requests for a particular style of room known to the Reservations team when making bookings, and they will be more than happy to assist.

It is also wonderful to hear that you felt so well taken care of by my team. They genuinely enjoy looking after all our guests and were thrilled to hear your comments when I passed these on to them.

I hope that the above did not detract too much from an otherwise enjoyable stay and that I will have the opportunity of welcoming you back to The Rubens in the not too distant future.

Yours sincerely,

Malcolm Hendry
Halifax, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 14, 2013

The staff at this hotel simply are wonderful. Efficient and approachable but not in your face.
Not cheap but where is in London!! Great location for Buck Palace, Hyde Park etc.
Carvery menu in resturant outstanding value and really good standard. Breakfast worth every penny.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple