The Rubens is a hotel ive wanted to stay at for many years, simply because of its location, and connection with 'the palace'
i have to say i was a tiny bit disappointed, and im sorry to have to say that. I never give bad reviews on hotels, i suppose i prefer to just write a review when i have something positive to say, but im going to make an exception in the Rubens case.
First of all though i have to stress that the staff were superb. Truly first class, friendly, welcoming service. The disappointment comes from the fact that the decor and size of the hotel in general were not quite as impressive as i thought, and certainly not the impression given from photographs on the website (but then, when do photographs on websites ever reflect reality i suppose) the decor is old fashioned and classic, which ordinarily is my preferred choice. I detest glass and chrome monoliths and would much rather have beautiful old fashioned classic interiors. The problem with the Rubens is, it borders on slightly shabby. The public areas are not large, but not every hotel in London can have a lobby the size and grandeur of the Savoy or Claridges, and i do appreciate that those hotels are stratospheric in terms of prices, but The Rubens isnt far behind in terms of expense. I think this is probably my main reason for giving the hotel an unfavourable review. The cost. For the amount paid im afraid i found the room very overpriced. It was very small, although clean and pleasantly decorated, it was just not worth nearly £250.
Basically if i was asked would i stay at this hotel again, i would have to answer almost certainly no, and its purely down to the size of rooms, the faint air of shabbiness in the decor, and the lack of grandeur for the price paid (i could be in a minority of course, but i dont consider £250 cheap) however the staff, as mentioned, were beyond reproach and superb!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Traditional, Edwardian-era hotel, originally built as a debutante hostel for nearby Buckingham Palace. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Travelocity, Expedia, Orbitz, Agoda, Priceline, Cheap Tickets, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, Cancelon, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your The Rubens at the Palace reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Rubens At The Palace Hotel London
- Rubens At The Palace London
- Rubens Palace
- The Rubens At The Palace London, England