“Excellent Service!”

The Rubens at the Palace
Ranked #71 of 1,072 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed April 28, 2013

My friend and I stayed for a "Girl's Weekend", shopping, sightseeing and a show. Our experience of the high level of service at Rubens at the Palace began before we even arrived. I had emailed a few days before with a small query and had a very extensive reply with some helpful information. Our room was ready and waiting for us even though we checked in three hours early. Whilst settling into to our room we had a phone call from reception to check that everything was to our satisfaction and housekeeping were sent up with extra milk cartons within five minutes of asking. I agree with a previous comment that it was nice to see the same smiling faces in reception on both days of our stay. It is only a three or four minute walk from Victoria Station so very convenient - no need for a taxi. Whenever I stay in London I like to try different hotels but will definitely be coming back to Rubens at the Palace.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank jmgWestSussex
There are newer reviews for The Rubens at the Palace

Reviewed April 26, 2013

Enjoyed 5 nights here, a perfect home base for all our sight-seeing. First of all, the hotel itself is in excellent condition, especially considering its age. We had a great room overlooking the Royal Mews directly across the street. Yes there was a little street noise, but very little, and certainly not enough to be a nuisance. All of the staff are incredible, and very welcoming. This should be the model of customer service that all other hotels should follow. Location-wise, it is located about a 5 minute walk from the front gates of Buckingham Palace in one direction, and 10 minutes to Victoria Station in the other direction. We prefer to walk and explore, and found that Westminster Abbey, the Parliament Buildings, the London Eye, the British Museum, Hyde Park, Piccadilly Circus, Trafalgar Square, and Harrods were all within a reasonable walking distance. We only took the tube (subway) once, as Tower of London and St. Paul's Cathedral were a bit further away than we wanted to walk. The neighbourhood is busy, but safe, so no need to race back if it starts getting dark. There are a few restaurants nearby if you didn't bring nicer clothes and just want a casual meal. The B Bar right next door looks a little "shi shi", but is actually very relaxed, and has great hamburgers. The Bag O Nails pub across the street has good pub food, and is a great place to grab a pint and rest your legs for a while. There are more restaurants over by Victoria Station as well, so you won't go hungry. The Rubens has a restaurant or two also if you want to stay closer to home. This was my second time staying at The Rubens, and I would not hesitate to come back again next time I'm in London. I'd also gladly recommend this hotel to family and friends. Great hotel, great customer service, and great all around experience. Well done Rubens!!

Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
7  Thank TravellinDaveHead
Reviewed April 26, 2013

We chose this hotel as they could accommodate all of our party and guarantee connecting rooms. This actually happened to be two separate rooms with a door blocking them off from the rest of the corridor, which worked well for us (Executive King/Twin & Sofa Room). The rooms were comfortable, although a little dated in their decor. Comfortable beds/pillows.

The staff were very friendly, especially good with the children.

Breakfast was average, I may have expected slightly better for the room rate, which has been reflected in my overall rating.

Great location, right next to Buckingham palace (opposite the Buckingham Palace gift shop on Buckingham Gate).

Room Tip: Book with the general manager direct to accommodate larger families together.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Nikibeee
Reviewed April 25, 2013

This was our first citybreak and stay in a hotel with our two young boys (aged 2 1/2 and 6 months) and to be honest we were a bit stressed about it before we arrived! We booked two interconnecting rooms for a two night stay on the 'Get more for your family' package. The location was perfect for the activities we had planned (Changing the Guard, St James' park, walking distance to London Eye etc). We were very warmly welcomed by the staff and were pleased with the rooms (although I do agree with other comments that they are a bit on the small side). The staff in the restaurant were very obliging, providing high chairs, warm milk and warming baby food at the very good buffet breakfast and the carvery dinner included in the package and we felt comfortable being there with two young children (we have found some places to be very unwelcoming and unhelpful!) VERY comfy beds and a nice clean cot for the baby! We were sad to leave and hope to return for another stay in the summer.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank 176Tara250
MalcolmHendry, General Manager at The Rubens at the Palace, responded to this reviewResponded May 2, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to post your review of The Rubens at the Palace on TripAdvisor. I am delighted to read that you and your family enjoyed your stay with us so much that you hope to return to The Rubens in the summer. It is always wonderful and encouraging to receive such positive feedback.

Here at The Rubens we pride ourselves on being a family-friendly establishment and are committed to ensuring that families who stay with us are well looked after. Many families have praised our Get More For Your Family package, which offers interconnecting rooms that provide both privacy and space when travelling with children.

Equally, we appreciate the importance of a good breakfast, especially before setting out for an exciting day of exploring London. We have therefore included a full buffet breakfast each morning as part of the package. Our buffet breakfast offers a great variety of options, be it Continental breakfast selections such as cereals, fruits, yoghurts and pastries, or full cooked English breakfast, with eggs cooked to order.

The Get More For Your Family package also offers a choice of one of the complimentary treats, such as a Princes and Princess Afternoon Tea overlooking the Royal Mews or a family dinner in the Old Masters Restaurant, right down to a Pastry Chef Experience in our pastry kitchen.

Thank you once again for your kind comments, and I sincerely hope to have the opportunity to personally welcome you back to The Rubens in the not too distant future.

Many thanks and best regards,

Malcolm Hendry

Reviewed April 23, 2013 via mobile

Loved the location just a few minutes walk from the Victoria Tube. The staff were very polite and professional.

The rooms are clean nice but so ugly!!! We had a room that looked like a flower shop had thrown up everywhere and all the walls were padded. Nice bathroom great air-con, nice breakfast if its free as £19.50 is very expensive for egg on toast.

• Stayed: April 2013
1  Thank guernseyman
MalcolmHendry, General Manager at The Rubens at the Palace, responded to this reviewResponded April 25, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to post your review of The Rubens at the Palace on Tripadvisor. I am most grateful for your feedback, which is such a valuable source of information for me, regardless of whether it is good or bad, and helps me monitor the service we provide.

I was glad to learn that you liked the location of the hotel and that you found my team very polite and professional, and I am aware that you did have a lot of contact with my team, and particularly with my Guest Services Manager during your time here. However, I was concerned to read that you disliked the decor of your room. As a slightly older building, we do have a wide cross section of shapes and sizes of accommodation with different styles of decor and colour schemes. Please feel free to make the request to avoid rooms with a particular decor known to the Reservations team when making bookings, and they will be more than happy to assist.

I was also sorry to hear that you were disappointed with our breakfast offering. We receive so many positive comments from our guests about our breakfast buffet being great value, as it offers a variety of options from Continental breakfast selections, such as cheeses, yogurts, cereals, fruits and pastries, to a full cooked English breakfast. Eggs are cooked to order, ensuring that they are exactly to your liking and of highest quality.

I do hope that the above did not detract too much from an otherwise enjoyable stay and that I will have the opportunity of welcoming you back to The Rubens in the not too distant future.

Yours sincerely,

Malcolm Hendry

Reviewed April 22, 2013

Just returned from 2 night stay at the Rubens. Lovely hotel, 5 minute walk from Victoria - great location. The staff are excellent. Nice to see the same faces each day rather than new staff every shift. The hotel is smallish and the lift is tiny. The rooms are well appointed with good lighting, very comfortable bed, tea, coffee, water etc. Good range of channels on the tv. The only "bad" thing is the creaky floorboards. I was scared to get up early for fear of waking anyone below or beside my room. I know it is an old building but something could be done to stop them making so much noise! Breakfast was excellent with plenty of choice and we ate in the restaurant on Saturday night and had the buffet - again excellent. A very enjoyable experience!

Room Tip: The rooms are small - ask for a biggish room if you can!
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank TheMissingLink66
Reviewed April 21, 2013

My husband and I celebrated our 25th anniversary with a first time trip to Europe. From the moment we arrived at The Rubens we were treated with such friendliness, courtesy, and professionalism. I have never experience such incredible service! They all take their jobs very seriously and are dedicated to make sure your experience at their hotel is excellent! We were always greeted with a friendly smile as we walked in, especially by Bogden who was extremely helpful in telling us how to get around the city. Janine was lovely and surprised is with a delicious anniversary dessert. We also had afternoon their afternoon tea and it was wonderful! I cannot say enough good things about the staff at The Rubens to do them justice!

The hotel itself was warm and welcoming as well. It was very clean and the location was perfect! Just a few minutes walk to Buckingham Palace and many other places of interest. The only negative thing was the our room was TINY! There was no place to unpack and put our things away, but the building is old and that's to be expected. I would absolutely stay here again and would recommend it to everyone!!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple