“Fantastic Hotel, Great Location, Brilliant Staff”

The Rubens at the Palace
Ranked #84 of 1,090 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reading, United Kingdom
“Fantastic Hotel, Great Location, Brilliant Staff”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2012

We stayed in a twin room here. The room was lovely and the bathroom was huge. The shower was really good and there was plenty of hot water. The only small issue we had with the room was that the beds were so close to each other we may as well have shared a king bed! Luckily we are very good friends, but I have friends I go away with who would have found this close proximity of the beds a bit too invasive!

The hotel is gorgeous and the staff are very polite, friendly and have great knowledge of London. The breakfast was probably the best one I have ever had in a hotel. There was a huge choice of food and the full English was fresh, hot and the crispy bacon is to die for. You also had your eggs cooked freshly in front of you - fab!

The drinks in the bar are very expensive - £8 for a shot of Baileys - but I guess this is what you would expect from a hotel of this star rating in central London.

There are plenty of great wine bars and restaurants within easy walking distance and the hotel is about a 5 minute walk from Victoria tube station

We will definitely go back to this hotel - is really made our trip extra special

Room Tip: If you want a twin, make sure you go with someone you are very good friends with or ask for the beds...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank Milliedog65

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (863)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Athens, Greece
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2012

First time at this hotel. Stayed only one night and I was very pleasantly surprised with the unusually high level of service of this hotel. Specifically:
•I checked in at around 5 pm and the young woman at the reception desk was extremely good. Very warm and efficient. No comparison to the usual robotic service one gets these days in hotels
•The service at the bar was quick and efficient
•One of the best breakfasts I had in a long time and I do visit around 25 hotels a year in Europe, US and Australia for the last 40 years

Keep up the good work.

I will definitely come back

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank George G
United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2012

a terrific location with a staff that time after time goes out of its way to ensure your best experience and to satisfy every wish and solve every problem...top drawer all the way.
Food is also wonderful.

Room Tip: there are alot of rooms that open to an inside atrium and very quiet.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank drudol
England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 4, 2012

Just returned from a three night business trip at the Rubens.

Locationwise it is very central; few minutes walk away from Victoria Station, as well as Buckingham Palace. Big Ben / London Eye, maybe a 20 - 25 minute walk away.

The hotel itself is "olde worlde", so not to my particular taste. That said, the room I had was clean, though on the small side - though probably on a par with other London hotels I have stayed in.

There is no gym on site. Executive rooms have access to the nearby LA Fitness for free, though for other guests there is a charge of £10.

Breakfast was good - usual hot and cold offerings.

Overall, a good central London Hotel.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
4 Thank BondFan
Paramus, New Jersey
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2012

Beware -- double check your reservations and be sure that you have a confirmation number with you at checkin. Apparently, they don't always receive info from your travel agent. My travel agent booked a room for us a month beforehand, but when we arrived, the staff did not have us in their computers. I had to contact the agent in NYC and he had to call London to speak with the staff to remedy the situation. A short brunette (by the name of Favina or Fevine) had a particular attitude about the whole thing, not helpful and even snide. Then, once it was discovered that the information had not been received on their part (which is rather common according to a manager) she changed her tune. The rest of the staff was friendly and helpful. No complaints about the room; location very good.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Kate N
MalcolmHendry, General Manager at The Rubens at the Palace, responded to this review, October 10, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to post your review of The Rubens on Tripadvisor. I am most grateful for your feedback, which is such a valuable source of information for me, regardless of whether it is good or bad, and helps me monitor the service we provide. Of course I was disappointed to read about your feelings following your stay with us and would like to take this opportunity to respond to your comments.

I was most concerned to learn of the issues you experienced on check-in. Having fully investigated why your reservation did not appear in our computer system on arrival, it appears that when this booking was made through the online reservations systems via Orbitz, it did not integrate correctly with our computer systems and therefore did not show up on your day of arrival. However, this being the case, my team should have made a new reservation for you and then followed up on the missing reservation afterwards rather than keeping you waiting at the time of arrival.

Here at The Rubens, we pride ourselves on the standards of product and service we provide, which makes it all the more disappointing to read that we have let ourselves down on this occasion. We receive so many positive comments on the friendliness and helpfulness of our staff that I am disappointed to read of your encounter at Reception. I am very sorry that your experience was not as positive as that of others on this site, and the errors in the service you received were indeed unacceptable. Please accept my sincere apologies for any inconvenience caused and my assurance that I have personally conveyed your dissatisfaction to my team.

I do hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to The Rubens in person in the not too distant future and to restore your faith in the hotel and us.

Best regards,

Malcolm Hendry
Montgomery, Alabama
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2012

We want to thank ALL your staff for the attentive and gracious service we received during our stay with
you. There wasn't a single need that wasn't met which we requested. The food was excellent as well.
We would definitely recomment the Rubens to all visitors to London. For us, it was the perfect location
also. It is very convenient to all the transportation systems through Victoria Station. The Rubens at the Palace made our visit to London a very pleasant experience. It is the best!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: We enjoyed the extended stay package.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Iva H
Columbus, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2012

I have been fortunate enough to have travelled to London numerous times throughout my life. I have also been fortunate enough to stay in several of the finest hotels in London. I must say I was concerned because I received such a good price on this hotel booking. Too good to be true? No! The Rubens at the Palace exceeded my expectations and I am not sure I have ever encountered a more helpful, genuine staff. I cried upon leaving! My husband was pleased as well. When the concierge found out my husband's occupation they immediately recommended some rather obscure, but very interesting museums he might enjoy while I shopped. Are the rooms small? Yes, but they are exceptionally well decorated and very comfortable. If you have travelled much you aren't put off by smaller rooms in Europe. I will be staying at this hotel on my trip to London later this year. Please give it a go! You won't be sorry.- Lisa M, Georgia USA

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple