“Short and Sweet” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #543 of 1,089 Hotels in London
Mumbai
“Short and Sweet”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 16, 2013

We had a short but memorable stay at Langorf Hotel. The hotel is well located in a quiet residential area but very near the main Finchley Road with the tube station 5 minutes away. Though small, the hotel had the bare essentials to make one’s stay very comfortable. We had a bathtub in our bathroom with a nice big shower. Besides, it was well equipped with the necessary supplies like shampoos, soaps, etc. While the room was small, the placement of the bed and sofa-cum-bed gave it a spacious look. There was also a safe in the room which came handy although to operate it, we had to call the front desk.

The service was good even though the hotel seemed short-staffed with only one person handling the front desk. The breakfast area was small. Though they served continental breakfast, the spread was excellent with a wide variety of cold cuts, assorted bread, pastries, waffles, cereals, etc. to choose from. For egg lovers, there were boiled eggs available. A major positive was the free Wi-fi that was available. Along with this, there was access to a computer near the front desk which guests could use for free.

Overall, we had a good stay at Langorf. It was not like a typical hotel and a nice homely touch to it.

1 Thank Bundle72
Langorf, Front Office Manager at The Langorf Hotel, responded to this review, June 22, 2013
Dear Bundle72,

Thank you for sharing your comment.

I am really happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay at the Langorf and I look forward to welcome you again very soon.

This is my direct email addres for your future reservations: renato@langorfhotel.com

Renato Nunzita

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
Bucharest, Romania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2013

This is a nice complex of a few old English houses that are put together to form a hotel-apartments complex.
Location is on a very quiet street, not far from Finchley Road or Hampstead subway station (5-6 minutes walk). The small streets towards Hampstead are particular nice to have a walk, with lots of vintage cars parked in front of the houses.
We stayed in a small studio, with a bedroom, living room and a small kitchen. The studio was large enough, the kitchen had all the appliances and tableware necessary. There was a microwave oven, an washing machine, a toaster, hair dryer with the appropriate ironing table, a small safe, a TV with British only channels. The heating was very good and you may set your desired temperature using a thermostat.
The rooms and bathroom were very clean.
The only things I could find... well, let's say 'not excellent' where: the view from our window was of a very dull backyard and the furniture was a little old.
The breakfast was ok, with a continental choice. We stayed there for 4 days and there was not much variety of foods. But there was enough diversity to make a decent meal. We appreciated that one could order espresso (tea or drip coffee were also available, but I would always choose an espresso and that's why I give thumbs up wherever I find this option on the breakfast menu).
The service was excellent, each person we interacted with was very nice, polite and helpful.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Dan C
Langorf, General Manager at The Langorf Hotel, responded to this review, June 10, 2013
Dear Dan,

Thank you for sharing your review.

It's great to hear that you enjoyed your stay at the Langorf hotel and that you found the service excellent.

I hope that you will consider our hotel for your next stay in London.

Please don't hesitate to contact me for future bookings.

Surrey, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 6, 2013

We usually choose to stay in the Hampstead and Belsize Park areas when we are in London - we prefer to be in a quieter locale, and love strolling around the leafy streets and trying out the cafes and restaurants. Not to mention the bonus of having Hampstead Heath to ramble through, which on a summer evening is absolutely magical.
The hotel we usually choose had no vacancies so we booked in at the Langorf. It's a bit further away from Hampstead than we'd ideally choose but still easy walking distance - about 15 minutes.
The hotel's decor, as others have mentioned, is a bit tired. The bathrooms have been revamped but the surround of our bath had peeling paint. The room next to ours had an ugly water stain on the carpet at its entrance. The sheets and towels have clearly been washed a few thousand times but they are reasonable quality, and in fairness, this is an affordable London hotel so you don't expect top quality.
We were a bit dismayed to find a little brass 'no smoking sign under the table, covered in dust and clearly it had been there some time, so nobody has hoovered under there for a while! We left it there to see if the cleaner would find it the next day - they didn't.
Breakfast is good. Not Full English, but that doesn't bother us. For a continental breakfast, in England, it's excellent. My experience of 'continental breakfast' in the UK is generally very poor. At least at the Langdorf there is a selection of cheeses and meats, a quiche, hard boiled eggs, croissants and rolls with jams etc, pastries and muffins,as well as cereal, fruit and yoghurt. Coffee is great! From an espresso machine and good flavour.
The staff here are very nice.
There is free wi-fi which is a bit slow, but not too bad.
As other reviewers have mentioned, the floorboards are squeaky and if you have inconsiderate people staying above you, there can be a lot of banging and squeaking. Fortunately this kind of noise did not continue very long. The hotel itself is in an extremely quiet location - no traffic sounds at all.
There is no air conditioning which would bother me if it had been any warmer.
My partner was very annoyed on our first morning when there was no hot water to be had (I'd showered the night before and it was fine). I phoned down to reception and we were told to keep the shower running for 5 minutes, and hopefully the boiler would catch up! To Australians who are very conscious of conserving water, this was a horrifying thought. We did leave it running, as instructed, but it had no effect. There was no hot water still when we returned to our room nearly an hour later, after breakfast. The person on the desk explained that the boiler sometimes does not cope in the mornings, when the hotel is fully booked. That's just not good enough. You expect two basic things in a hotel - a decent bed, and hot water. If you can't provide the hot water you need to invest in a new boiler.
Interestingly, we had no problems on our second morning.
There are no ironing board or iron in the room - you must borrow one from reception, and the hotel has no guest laundry facilities.
Overall, the Langorf is reasonable value for London and we would certainly consider staying again. The quiet location, the good breakfast and the friendliness of the staff are three very strong factors.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank mareepsasja
Dear Maree-Kevin,

Thank you for your review.

First of all I would like to apologize for the no smoking sign under the table, this does not meet our standard. I will investigate the matter and I will make sure that it will not happen again.

We are planning to finish the refurbishment of the hotel and this will refresh the decor and will sort out the issues that you reported.

I am glad that overall you had a good stay and that you will come back in the future.

Please don't hesitate to contact me for your next booking.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 26, 2013

Stayed for 7 nights in May. The location of the hotel is very good, with FInchley Road tube station being 5minute walk away, and handling two lines of the Underground, and Baker Street tube station being just one stop away and offering connections to more lines of the Underground. Reception staff are all very friendly and helpful, and Maria, Stefano and Natalia looked after us well.

The triple room we had booked was clean and neat, with all the amenities required. The bathroom is small, especially the shower but serve the purpose. There was no soap rack inside the shower, so one needs to keep the soap on the counter top and open the shower doors to reach it when needed.

The beds are comfortable and we experienced no neck strains or other aches and pains. Our room was on the ground floor facing the road, but road noise did not affect us much - coming from Colombo, Sri Lanka, the levels of road noise we faced here were far below what is experienced, so unless you come from pin-drop silence countryside, road noise is unlikely to be an irritation. However we could hear sounds of people in the room above moving - especially footsteps and furniture being dragged around. The room has enough spare power points - another point even most 5-star hotels tend to miss. The closet is very small but enough hanging space, and things like bags can be pushed under the beds at night.

The hot water radiator in the room works well, however the control knob is rather low down, and to reach it and turn off the heater, one's arm tends to brush against the hot heater which may give burns to those with very sensitive skin - for me it was not hot enough to burn, but certainly uncomfortable. The low position also makes it difficult to see the temperature readings on the knob. The electric bathroom heater works well, keeping the bathroom nicely warm whilst acting as a clothes dryer as well! The wall-mounted television works well, and is nicely sited for viewing from the bed. It has an integrated DVD player which is a nice touch, but I had to stand on a chair to load a disc into it (I am around 5' 8").

The breakfast selection is quite nice, however the meats are all pork-based. They are kept in a separate, closed container with a separate pair of tongs for accessing them, so as Muslims we didn't have any issues with eating the other food as the pork was clearly separated. One dampener is that to get the best breakfast experience, you need to be at the breakfast room early, preferably by opening time of 7.30am - we went about 1/2 hour late once, and some of the food was finished - upon asking a staff member we were informed that "we do not have any more". The hotel was fairly full - several families came in after us as well, so it was rather unfair that those who get a little late for breakfast have to 'settle for the scraps'.

The reception is fairly cozy, with pictures of "old-time London" hanging on the walls, and leather armchairs. There is a computer for internet access, and they offer printouts for free (black and white laser printer), which was helpful for quick Google-maps directions. The hotel check-out time was 11am, and they tend to get full on weekends; however you can leave your luggage with them (no charge) and collect later on. They label your bag with a sticky number label and give you a copy of the same, so no confusion when collecting bags.

Overall, I would stay here again howewer I request them to have more food stocks for breakfast when the hotel is full, as for a family to be ready by 7.30am, it takes at least an hour since there is only one washroom (which means rising at 6.30 am, something most won't like to do when on holiday)

Room Tip: Ground floor rooms are the easiest to drag heavy bags into (they have a small lift for the upper flo...
1 Thank awLKA
Dear aw6789,

Thank you very much for your detailed review.

I appreciated your suggestion about our food stock and I will do my best to increase it and make sure that everybody always finds the full buffet available.

I hope that you will chose again the Langorf hotel for your next stay in London.

Please, do not hesitate to contact me in case you have any request, my direct email address is:

rome
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 10, 2013

Very good location, good value for money, very friendly staff, excellent for families. I was there with my family of five and found the hotel very cosy. Finchley road tube station is just a few-minute walk and so is Hampstead. An excellent solution for a shrt or a longer term stay.

2 Thank belpa65
Langorf, Front Office Manager at The Langorf Hotel, responded to this review, May 14, 2013
Dear Belpa65,

Thank you for your great review.

I am really happy to hear that you enjoyed yur stay at the Langorf and I look forward to welcome you again very soon.

Renato Nunzita
Sheffield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 30, 2013

The Langorf (Frognal reversed) is situated on a street between Finchley Road and Hampstead, and for its location is good value if you can find a special offer, for instance by booking well in advance. The rooms are moderate in size, typical for a mid-range London hotel, but unlike the big chains, they have been converted carefully from the old buildings that comprise the hotel. Consequently, they retain some of the charm of the Victorian era, and antidote to soulless modern cubes. It’s all very comfortable, and the staff are friendly and helpful. The walls are a little on the thin side, so be prepared to hear something of what the people next door get up to.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back avoid the peak-hour traffic noise on what is otherwise a quiet street.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Nick527
Dear Nick,

Thank you very much for your review.

I am glat that you undestood the nature of our hotel and I am sure that we will confirm your good impression during your next stay.

Please don't hesitate to contact me for your future reservations: renato@langorfhotel.com

Barcelona, Spain
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2013

A very friendly and warm hotel to spend a few days in London. From ten minutes to the center by tube and there's a subway stop close to the hotel. They offers a delicious and full english breakfast. On the other hand, the reception staff are very friendly and attentive. I absolutely recommend it!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Doege
Langorf, Front Office Manager at The Langorf Hotel, responded to this review, April 25, 2013
Dear Doege,

Thank you very much for sharing your review.

I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and that you liked our continental breakfast.

Please don't hesitate to contact me for your future bookings at my direct email address: