“Exactly what we hoped”

Ranked #524 of 1,064 Hotels in London
Atlanta, Georgia
“Exactly what we hoped”
Reviewed July 23, 2013

London was the end of a three-week trip for us. We had been before, and knew hotel rooms in London were smallish. We wanted a king-sized bed but not an American hotel. We found the Cranley and thought we'd take a chance. It was all that we'd hoped for when we booked it. When we arrived, we were met at the curb by a the clerk who carried our bags up the steps and inside (they were not light!) for us. We noticed some stains on the entry carpet and thought uh-oh. But when we finished checking in and went upstairs to our room we were very pleased. We had a very spacious room on the first floor, overlooking the front of the hotel. The furnishings were antique, the bed was a king, the bathroom was huge, and there was a portable air-conditioner unit in the room. Since we knew most older buildings did not have central air and London was at the beginning of a heat wave, we were quite happy.

We were offered champagne and canapes when we arrived and there was always water and juice in the lobby when we came in from shopping or sightseeing. We also had treats in our room several nights while we were staying at The Cranley.

Breakfast always came promptly when we ordered it and the food was fresh, the tea hot. It was maybe a little expensive for what it was, but it came on a nice tray and let us eat breakfast and get ready for our day at our own pace.

The staff knew us by the second day and always had our key ready when we came in the door. Which was good, because we certainly didn't want to carry the heavy keyring around with us! They offered to help us with tickets and things, but we were already set with what we needed.

We read some of the other recent reviews, and it's possible those visits overlapped with ours, but our experience was completely different. We would definitely stay at The Cranley again - I'd even like the same room! - and we'd recommend it to others.

Room Tip: One side of the hotel has a lift, the other does not. At least, I never saw one!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (125)
  • Polish first
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed July 23, 2013

The pictures and the reality are quite different. A charming lobby, but rooms are very tired and in great need of refurbishing. We expected the room to be cozy and it was, but the armchair was threadbare, the carpet needed replaced, the bed skirt was in shreds, the sheet had a whole in it and the paint around the window was peeling. The room service was good and the staff very friendly. However, staff was not knowledgeable about theater and restaurants. Staying on the internet proved challenging and complicated. The neighborhood is nice and convenient to the Tube. One good thing-I asked the desk to get a taxi to Heathrow and they arranged for a driving service, which turned out to be quite reasonable and more pleasant than had we taken a taxi.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Covington, Georgia
Reviewed July 12, 2013

I am a person who pays attention to detail and I was really looking forward to my stay at the Cranley. I thought it was to be the best of the places I was visiting and it turned out to be the worse. I will start with the check in. I was surprised that the front desk worker, though he seemed pleasant enough did not offer to help us with our bags. When I saw that no help was forthcoming I just told my daughter we can do it but it would have been a nice gesture and welcome to our home away from home to get some assistance as we are tired off the road/airport. We were upgraded and apologies were made for that. That seemed odd to me why we were being apologized for an upgrade. Just the same I was gracious and thanked them for it. We were in the 4 poster room. The room was small for the large furniture inside but that is more of a personal preference perhaps so won't fault them on that. There was an uncovered piece of cake that was cut in two. I couldn't imagine how long it had been there. If that was a welcome gift it might have been nice to have it packaged and covered along with something else and a note to say welcome. Now, the view here was wonderful, facing the front of the hotel. Things seemed fairly clean though very worn. I was really taken aback though to see that the edges on the walls were so worn where paint used to be. If I could spot this in less than five minutes how could hotel staff go in and out and maintenance crews not make a regular practice of freshening walls, filling caulk, painting, etc? I was really surprised to see this in a hotel. I've actually never seen such poor repair and mind you we were in the 'upgraded' room. I was a little scared to see where we were being moved the next day. When I brought and showed the staff member about this they ( she/ he left out to preserve their identity) was unable to say more than let them know, they agreed but I could tell felt very powerless to do anything. After all they just work there and am sure want to keep their job. It came out though in the conversation that the hotel has been turned over several times in the last years. Whomever owns it though should keep it up don't you think? I don't understand how an owner wouldn't take pride in their business.
Onward now to the second- fourth nights. We were told that the original room we booked had a sick patron and as they were sick they couldn't be moved. Good call on that but at the same time I specifically requested an upper level room. When we returned and to my horror we were not only put in a ground level room but the view made me feel like I was in a dungeon. You will see the pictures later. I was so disheartened. I told them this is not what I requested, I had my reasons why I was not comfortable in a ground level room. The young worker, in trying to allay my fears turned out to be disrespectful and insensitive in my view by saying, 'you have nothing to worry about, we are here, etc. As much as I voiced my discontent with it I was basically told in nice words this is where you'll be for the next three days. I felt like a prisoner who was paying top dollar to be confined. Now, the room is small and there is an air conditioning unit in the little pathway with a large hose that is duct taped. I am not making this up. It was uncomfortable for me. I could just see rodents having easy access to my ground level room and security wise the window is open. I opted, though it was hot to close the window when I left and at night. It was hard enough to get a good night's sleep under the circumstances. The front end supervisor/manager tried to make amends by offering a continental breakfast and I refused. I'm sorry but do you think that is an appropriate exchange, I don't. I wasn't interested in getting a free meal but I wanted a nice, clean room like the one in the pictures. I'm a pick picture taker and I feel there is a responsibility to be honest and accurate. The Cranley isn't. Don't be surprised if you see quite a different place. Lastly, the rooms are so close together it is almost comical. When the next room entered at midnight or later and talking quite loud it was impossible to ignore it. What can be done, nothing so I stayed for the three nights. To top off this experience on the morning we were leaving I asked my daughter to check around the bed and under to be sure that she didn't leave anything and to my surprise she said she found personal lubricant packaging under the bed! I was so upset as she should not have under any circumstances had to pick up used items from someone's intimate time before our stay in the room. My lord, that was just the end of the line for me. I did bring this to the attention of the staff on our departure and again their was a posture of, thanks for telling us but we are not that surprised and can't do anything about it. Totally disgusting way to end an unpleasant stay.
I do want to thank the other hotels I stayed in for being the kind of place that you are happy to put your head down in. I can't say that for the Cranley.
The one good thing I guess is they hold the heavy key for you if wish.
Cranley, you are in the business of customer service please do so. The best thing about the Cranley is its location. It is convenient to Gloucester Road Station and great restaurants all around.

Room Tip: There are no good rooms
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
8 Thank sharon l
Cranleyhotel, Manager at Cranley Hotel, responded to this review, July 12, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback on your stay, I was surprised to hear that on this ocassion your stay resulted in an unsatisfactory experience for you and I do apologise for any inconvenience.
Firstly I would like to assure you that the staff at the Cranley Hotel are trained to provide assistance with luggage/bags from the moment we see our guests approaching the hotel.I am very sorry to hear that upon your check in you had to carry your own bags. This is a matter that we definitely will be looking into and I appreciate feedback given on this point.
We indeed were sorry to have been only given the chance to grant you a double upgrade for one night of your stay;and to have had to ask you to move on the second night. At the time we did communicate the reason why, you expressed your concern about moving into a room where there was a child with an unforeseen illness. We did try to accomodate your request to have a room on the higher floor, but we cannot guarantee these requests, as they depend on our availability. This is why we had to place you in a Superior Double Room on what is actually our first floor, as the room is not on street level.
I am sorry you did not enjoy the popular evening treats that we place in the rooms, they are the freshly baked pastries that we place for all our guests on a complimentary basis and are placed in the rooms between 6-7pm.
Regarding the condition of our buildings, as we are historical buildings built from 1869, we understand that there are certain areas that we are continually assessing. We operate a policy of continuous refurbishment.
As for the cleanliness of the room, once you expressed your comments upon check out, your concerns were immediately raised with the Housekeeping Manager.
As previously mentioned, we are very sorry to hear that your stay was disapointing and we can guarantee you that your feedback has been valuable.

Please do not hesitate to contact us if we may be of any assistance.

Kind regards,
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 11, 2013

Stayed here yesterday and it was a complete disappointment. It looked very nice in the pictures and is a lovely building, although a bit steep at £250 for the night for a hotel which is far from 5 star. When we arrived, we were greeted very nicely and offered coffee in addition to a lovely mango passion fruit drink that was freely available. As we were showed to our room, we were told casually that we'd been upgraded to a four-poster room. Now call me cynical but this always starts alarm bells ringing for me. Usual a casual upgrade like this means there's no-one else in the hotel or there's a problem. Sure enough, when we got to the room there was a portable a/c unit plugged in as the main a/c wasn't working. No w this isn't something that would normally bother me too much, but yesterday was a very rare event in Britain - a very hot day, and the portable unit couldn't keep up and as a result it was really uncomfortably hot which meant I barely slept. To be fair, I probably wouldn't have anyway as the room had new carpeting which had a very strong smell of, I presume, Scotch guard. This seems the only thing that's new, however as the paint around the windows was peeling away dreadfully and a gruby old mattress was visible on our four poster This morning we had breakfast in the room, as was suggested at check-in. for two of us this came to around £40, which is a shame as I could have got an equally good breakfast at the greasy spoon round the corner from Gloucester road tube. The bacon was overly salty, the bean generic and the sausage was just terrible, the type I used to get at the student union at uni. The eggs were good though, but overcooked. When I was checking out, I raised these problems and was asked 'well, what can we really do?'. That said, there were some positive points. The building itself is lovely, most of the staff, apart from the check-out, were terrific, especially a very handsome Spanish man who works in the evening and who brought us a candle to try and mask the smell of the carpet. The shower was terrific, powerful from true water pressure, rather than a pump and the eggs were good as was the fruit juice. Was the breakfast worth £40, certainly not, was the hotel worth the money, no way, did they offer any recompense for the dreadful night? good luck with that!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Andrew G
Cranleyhotel, Manager at Cranley Hotel, responded to this review, July 13, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your feedback.

We are sorry to hear that you did not enjoy the upgrade to the Four Poster room that we had granted you. We work on a policy of continuous refurbishment, and though we had ventilated the room, the unseasonal high temperatures in London contributed to maximizing the odour in the room. That said, as we were fully booked in the dates stayed, we would have loved to be able to move you into a room with fully working air conditioning services; however the circumstances did not allow us to do; hence the portable air conditioning unit we placed in your room to try to relieve the high temperatures in the city.
We do advise our guests on the breakfast procedures in the hotel, as often many guests prefer to have their first meal of the day inhouse for their commodity; however, we do offer our guests the choice of dining inhouse or externally at their discretion. The room service menus in all the rooms do state the prices of all meals and services at the hotel.
We can assure you that The Cranley Hotel only uses premium products for our Food and Beverage services; we are sorry to hear that it was not up to your expected standards. We will certainly look into this and continue to work hard to provide impeccable service.

Please do not hesitate to contact us if we may be of any service.
Reviewed July 8, 2013

I read all the posts before booking this hotel and was hoping for an above average hotel experience. Compared to everywhere else we stayed while in Great Britain, this hotel was very average. We booked a four-poster bed room, and it was a bit cramp. We didn't have an opportunity to enjoy champagne hour, but there was nothing waiting for us in our room when we returned and we certainly didn't receive any upgrades when we were there. We only ordered room service once and the food was very average, and not recommended when there are wonderful dining choices in the area. We also experienced a problem with the air conditioner, and the room became quiet hot. Although we called to get it fixed, they came to inspect it and said they'd be back to fix it, but they never came. For the money, it just wasn't really worth it. I'd select another hotel if I traveled to London again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 2, 2013

Myself and my partner visited The Cranley for just one night last month as a birthday treat, and we absolutely were not disappointed. The area for a start is gorgeous and really shows you a slice of high-end London life! We were greeted with a warm welcome and, on a baking hot day, it was so nice to have our bags carried and complimentary refreshments awaiting. They had given us a free upgrade to a junior suite which was great-large room, lovely bathroom and the sweetest little patio just for us to enjoy the sunshine in.

When we returned from a day out (unfortunately missing champagne and canope hour!), there was a bottle of gorgeous red wine and cake waiting to celebrate my birthday. In the morning, I ordered room service of coffee which was complimentary, which came really quickly, in two lovely cafeterias, with a large selection of biscuits.

The bed was huge and comfy, the shower spacious and the toiletries luxurious. The staff did many things to make sure it was a lovely visit, and although there didn't seem to be too many staff as its a small hotel, you had everyone you could need. I will certainly be back and recommend it, and intend to take advantage of the many good services the Cranley has to offer.

Room Tip: I was upgraded and given a present because I had asked and made quite a point of it being a special...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed June 30, 2013

This was my third stay at Cranley Hotel. The location if great for attractions in the neighborhood, such as the Museum of Natural History and the Royal Albert Hall, but also for being on the Piccadilly Line which gets to to and from both the center of London and Heathrow Airport. The rooms are on the small side, but clean and the staff is friendly and helpful.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family