“A good find - quiet and central”
Review of Rathbone Hotel

Rathbone Hotel
Ranked #283 of 1,072 Hotels in London
Reviewed January 25, 2013

The location is great for Central London and our room on the 3rd floor was very quiet.
The room was not huge but quite comfortable and clean. Our only minor gripe was the lack of heating in the bathroom as there was no air-conditioning outlet there and the central heating appeared to have been turned off.
Our continental breakfast was included and the choice was pretty wide-ranging.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
MDellomo, Front Office Manager at Rathbone Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 1, 2013

The time you spent posting your kind review is very much appreciated.

I am happy that you mentioned our central location and how quiet our immediate area is, despite the hotel being situated right in the heart of London.
I have noted your remark about the bathroom heating, please rest assured as we are continuously upgrading our product.

We are looking forward to welcoming you again.

There are newer reviews for Rathbone Hotel

Reviewed January 24, 2013

Why do they give you a preference for a smoking room when you book only to find out that there are no smoking rooms at all! Clean hotel but rooms on the small size. Don't bother with the full english breakfast! it was awful and took about 20 minutes to arrive, maybe the Chef was on a break! Would think twice about staying there again.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for the time you took to write the comment.

I'm afraid ever since the smoking ban was introduced in 2007 we do not have smoking rooms, and if there are booking sites which offer the choice it is information which unfortunately we cannot edit. I am delighted that you found our hotel clean, an element of great importance to us. However, I was sorry to read about your breakfast experience – thank you for bringing it to our attention. Whilst we often experience a busy restaurant during breakfast, our aim is to serve our guests as quickly as possible.

I hope we will have the opportunity to demonstrate this during your next visit.

Reviewed January 19, 2013 via mobile

You can walk everywhere from here, the immediate surrounding area of Fitzrovia an attraction in itself. Don't bother with breakfast, there are far cheaper, better breakfasts on yr doorstep. Couldnt get my room as warm as would've liked (heavy snow outside) but overall, a pleasant stay.

• Stayed: January 2013
3  Thank jade b

Thank you for your time to write the review following your recent visit in the Rathbone.

Our location is one of the greatest advantages that guests enjoy regardless of the purpose of their visit. However, I was sorry to read that you experienced some difficulty with our new air conditioning system, which is easily adjusted to your preference from inside the bedroom.
We would be very pleased to assist you in operating the system on your next visit to ensure its full benefit, hopefully in not too distant future.

Reviewed January 17, 2013

a small hotel with real charm and class. I wanted a hotel off the beaten path but close to all the sites, and this really fit the bill. downstairs rooms and breakfast room are tastefully decorated and very upscale. staff is very friendly and helpful. breakfast had alot of variety and very well displayed as well as being yummy. a good choice

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank drudol

It was with great pleasure that I passed your review on to our staff, who are very happy whenever our service is acknowledged and appreciated by our guests.

I was delighted to read that your visit in the Rathbone was enjoyable and that you found our decor pleasing and the breakfast tasty.

We are looking forward to welcoming you again.

Reviewed January 10, 2013

We've stayed here on four seperate occaions now. It's a great location and easy to get to and we know our way around the area. Couple of advantages to booking here include 10% discounts at some local restaurants, which we made use of eating at the Da Paolo Restaurant on Charlottes Place. They used to offer a full range of toiletries and we didn't take any hair conditioner but this is no longer avaiable. A continental breakfast was included in our price as we booked through a discounted hotel booking website, this made it good value for money. The bathroom was quite grubby, dried toothpaste around the sink. Probably would have been more disappointed if we'd have payed full price direct through the hotel. As previously mentioned in other reviews, how disgusting it is that hotels charge for wifi. The pub round the corner where we had a spot of lunch offers it for free as do many other small businesses! Rip off!

Room Tip: It's in quite a built up area and we were fortunate enough to have a front facing room this time...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ellenpete

Thank you very much for returning to the Rathbone Hotel and taking the time to post your review afterwards.

I am most grateful for your feedback, which is such a valuable source of information for us as it helps us monitor the service we provide. I appreciate that you noted our Restaurant Club offer and that you were able to take advantage of it. I have made a note of the points highlighted by you on the condition of the marble around the sink, thank you for bringing it to our attention. Cleanliness is very important for us and I apologise if we fell short on this occasion. Regarding the wifi charges, as it is customers’ choice whether to use it or not, we charge it separately so that guests who have no need for it are not charged indirectly in the form of an increased room rate. Research concludes that our rate is competitive and I am pleased to inform you that we provide complimentary internet access within some of our existing promotional offers. Booking a club room or suite also guarantees you complimentary Wifi access.

We do hope your next visit will give us an opportunity to rectify any shortcomings and you will enjoy your stay again.

Reviewed January 5, 2013

The hotel is located in a great neighborhood, with numerous restaurants and cafes within a walking distance. It is also located quite close to the tube station, Oxford street, and the Soho. However, the hotel is "old style" - old furniture etc, but the complimentary tea and cookies well compensate for it. We would definitely return!!!

Room Tip: This is a quiet area so either front or back rooms make little difference.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank tomermi

It was lovely to read your review after your recent visit.

The location of the Rathbone is excellent from any point of view indeed, whether you work in central London, visit the city and its sights or take advantage of its many shopping havens. Whatever the purpose of one’s visit – we are close to it.

I am glad you enjoyed our complimentary tray and we do hope to welcome you again.

Reviewed January 4, 2013

I just got back from my 4 night stay at the Rathbone Hotel and can only use one word, disappointment, the entire stay from check in to check out was disappointing. I had booked two single rooms for me and my daughter, we had 4 bags, upon arrival there was no bellman or any person to help with the bags, once we checked in we were told wifi was £15 a day, almost $25 dollars, in today's day and age when wifi is so important this was absurd, especially since every cafe and restaurant around the block offers free wifi.

The room was on the smaller side, but OK, the bathroom offered 1 towel, and after a shower the floor outside was soaked from water running out of the shower, there is a glass door, not a curtain, so it's not as though it could be helped.

The shining star was the one day room service forgot to make the room, and after I called down was informed that housekeeping was gone, but they would send up some fresh towels, after a few minutes someone delivered two small hand towels.

The next day upon checkout I brought it up to the manager on duty, and he apologized for he oversight but did not think or offer to waive the bill which was £6 for the one drink I had.

The only plus which has nothing to do with the hotel is that there are plenty of restaurants right around the corner.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank sircaralot
MKavanagh, General Manager at Rathbone Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 8, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. I am sorry to read that we did not meet with your expectations and once again apologise for the oversight regarding the serving of your room on the last night of your stay. We pride ourselves on our housekeeping standards, therefore it was very disappointing to learn of this inconsistency. I understand however, that your daughter was pleased with her room and service and I hope that this demonstrates an isolated incident for which I accept a good will gesture should have been offered to you. I will of course make direct contact with you to discuss this further.

I was also sorry to read that we did not follow procedure enquiring as to whether you required assistance with luggage upon arrival and would assure you that this service is available to all guests. We do charge separately for Wifi rather than disguising it in an increased room rate to prevent guests, who do not use this service, being charged indirectly for it however I do appreciate your view which I have duly noted. I am pleased to inform you that some of our existing promotional offers include complimentary WiFi access and our club rooms and suites include this service, we would be delighted to assist you with these options should you wish to stay with us in future. I was sorry to learn of issues with your shower, it is unfortunate that you did not bring this to our attention where I am certain every effort would have been made to resolve this immediately. I regret that we did not live up to our reputation on this occasion and assure you that service and standards are our priority. As mentioned above I will contact you direct to discuss this further and I thank you once again for your review.