“Nice relaxed Argentinian steakhouse.”
Review of Garufa - CLOSED

Garufa
Cuisines: Argentinean
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed January 24, 2013 via mobile

Of the four us three had steaks. I had the ravioli. Ravioli was very nice indeed and well presented. Everybody enjoyed their steaks. Argentinian wine was very nice. The chips were excellent - as nice as I have tasted anywhere.

Service was a bit hit and miss - we had to attract their attention as they did not keep a close eye out when drinks were needed etc - but friendly enough.

Relaxed informal atmosphere.

Recommended - if you like steak.

Reviewed December 12, 2012

this restaurant is very meat orientated but has a limited fish and vegetarian options on the menu which should not put non meaters off, the staff are great, very helpful and the Cris Rose to die for.The bread baskets with nibbles is wonderful. My husband says the steak is first class, I have had the chips they are so tasty.

Reviewed November 19, 2012

This was the fourth time we have waten here and it is just superb. A great neighbourhood restaurant if youlive nearby - friendly and welcoming - but also well worth travelling to from elsewhere in London.

The rib-eye steak was perfect in every way and the patatas provenzal the best chips I have had. They also do dome creative non-steak options, have a great wine list, have live Tango music (guitar player) on a Monday and £10 corkage Sunday-Thursday. It rocks!

Reviewed November 19, 2012

First the negatives - before a major football match Garufa was rather busy so the space was a tad cramped. However, service was brisk and my partner expressed a wish to come back for dinner ( this was a brunch trip). The Bloody Mary was excellently balanced and the steak breakfast an ideal start to the day. Maybe a tad pricey but the service and quality make up for that.

Reviewed October 24, 2012

I went to Garufa last night (23rd October 2012) to celebrate my girlfriends birthday together with her Mum. To help give this review some context, my girlfriends mother is Spanish and has owned her own restaurants for decades in both Spain and London. Their family live for good food.

We live locally and this was our second trip to Garufa in 7 months. On both visits I have been blown away by the steaks. They are cooked to perfection in my young (ish!) opinion. I have previously read older, but negative reviews, so felt obliged to tell you about our experience.

We each had a starter. All around £6ish. All really well presented, but most importantly, tasted lovely. The tama del pollo was great. For mains we all had a different type of steak, well priced for the size. Again, this is the best part for me – it tastes amazing. The homemade chips are also really tasty. I’m not sure what they do to them, but the chips are the best I’ve had. The wine - the Malbec at £18 was the cheapest, but was extremely tasty. Complemented our steaks really well.

Further to the above meal, my girlfriend is diabetic, so I called in advance and arranged for a home-made cake to be dropped off a day before. The staff were happy to hold on to this and bring it out after our mains. In addition (and one of the reasons I'm writing this review) they then brought us 3 glasses of complimentary dessert wine to enjoy with the homemade cake. They did not need to do that, especially as we weren’t paying for a dessert, but they did. A good touch.

For 3 people enjoying the above over 2 hours, my bill came in just under £90. For the above quality of food, the surroundings, the willingness to help with the cake, and the complimentary dessert wine, I had to write this positive review. I encourage you to go and try it out.

To make sure this is a balanced review, I need to be ‘a bit BBC’ and highlight one area for improvement. The only downside for a perhaps more 'traditional' customer is their phone manner. This could be improved a little. But this would not stop me going again and knowing I will have great quality food in a lovely restaurant.

1  Thank Emjay186338