“Perfect Lunch”

Cuisines: British
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Trafalgar Square / Embankment
Transit: The nearest mainline rail stations are: Charing Cross, Waterloo and Blackfriars. The nearest underground stations are: Temple, Covent Garden, Charing Cross and Embankment. Buses servicing the Strand include numbers 6, 9, 11, 13, 15, 23, 77a, 91 and 176, while the River Bus Service can be taken to Embankment and Savoy piers.
Description: Tom's Kitchen Somerset House includes a restaurant, a deli and a beautiful terrace, which during the summer months is one of London's most popular al fresco bars with views across the river. The restaurant is situated on the ground floor of the iconic Somerset House building, boasting three adjoining rooms. The modern British restaurant serves comfort food favourites in a relaxed and informal environment from lunch to dinner and brunch on weekends. The deli is the perfect place for busy food-lovers on the go, packed with tasty takeaway options for breakfast and lunch. Located in the beautiful surroundings of Somerset House, Tom's Kitchen Terrace offers an extensive cocktail and drinks list and bar snacks.
Reviewed November 7, 2013

I'm glad I booked, it was very busy today. The atmosphere was upbeat, but we still enjoyed a pleasant and relaxing lunch. Appreciated the choice of vegetarian options. The starters and mains were very fresh and very tasty. Service was attentive but discrete. Will definitely eat here again when I visit the art galleries.

Reviewed November 7, 2013

We visited the restaurant with friends on a week night. Part of it was in use for a private function but that did not interfere in anyway with our meal.

The welcome and service were both very good throughout the evening. The bread they brough us with some salted butter was very tasty.

For starter I had the hot smoked salmon which which a very large chunky piece of salmon with a horseradish dip. One of the party had the crab cakes which I had been recommended to try. Sadly they only had a single portion remaining.

For main case I had a very tasty shepherds pie, one of the diners had the beef cheek, which sadly needed to be returned to the kitchen as it was not warm. My partner had the macaroni cheese with truffles, it was described as the best they had ever tasted. Finally a fellow diner had a baked aubergine dish.

Two of us were very full after our mains and opted out of desert but we watched our friends enjoy a wonderful sticky toffee pudding and a apple and blackberry crumble. Satisfaction was expressed by both fellow diners.

The wine list is not extensive but has a good affordable range of options.

We all enjoyed our meal and the evening and the venue makes this a special place to visit. We spent some time wondering what used to happen in the room we were in when Somerset House was used for registration offices.

Reviewed October 11, 2013

Visited my first Tom Aikens restaurant and it delivered as well as I was hoping for. The staff were great as we asked for dishes that contained no Dairy products and they came back with a host of options having discussed it witht he kitchen.
The staff ensured we knew that we were welcome to stay as long as we wanted and so the pace of the meal was ideal.
The setting is also quite special - could imagine as great a setting in the summer as in the winter

Reviewed October 10, 2013

We started the evening with handmade cocktails in the cozy bar (favorite was the cucumber w/gin) followed by a wonderful dinner in the dining room. Make reservations because Tom's Kitchen is a popular spot with cozy seating. Our meal was cooked to order & perfection and the desserts were a perfect finish to the meal. There were business diners, social diners and a couple or two. Don't miss this experience overlooking the Thames.

Reviewed October 8, 2013

Since I was visiting the famous Courtauld Gallery (great art collection in gorgeous building near the Thames River) on a Sunday afternoon, I found this excellent restaurant in the same collection of buildings. I had one of the best egg dishes (smoked salmon eggs benedict) ever - best English muffin, excellent lox and lighter hollandaise. The service was so good, I could scarely believe it but maybe it's because I got there at 230PM after the rush? What a nice atmosphere also. Casual but proper sit-down service. They have a small deli nearby for faster food and service. I would definitely go again.