“Saluting the Steak”

Cuisines: Barbecue, Steakhouse
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: City of London
Transit: The nearest Underground station is St Paul's on the Central Line (2 minute walk). Mansion House and Cannon Street stations on the District and Circle Lines are also within walking distance
Description: Jamie Oliver's Barbecoa is all about fire, smoke & the best meat we can get our hands on, cooking it using fire-based techniques from all over the world
Reviewed June 2, 2013 via mobile

Birthday treat so decided to "fork out" for the Chateau Brion, it was fabulous, wonderful crust around the outside with a perfect pink delicious centre. From coctails to dessert everything spot on. It was a rare hot evening which made the restaurant a little warmer than you would like, but hey St Paul's view in fading sunlight, can't complain.

Reviewed June 1, 2013

We walked past this restaurant a couple if weeks ago at the weekend and decided we would come back during the week.
It was rammed with no tables for a couple of hours, we decided to chance a tale at the bar and was surprised how pleasant it was.
Great food and very attentive staff made for a lovely meal.
Great organic wine choice

Reviewed June 1, 2013

This was the best restaurant I attended in London so far. The steak was exquisite, also the salmon starter was delicious. We had very good table with view on St. Paul cathedral. It was unique experience. The only disturbing moment is a little bit too much technical time management of the place. You have two hours and you are supposed to clear your seats for another customer. I can understand that but, in my opinion, it could and should be done in more delicate way.

Reviewed June 1, 2013

Not another steak restaurant in London. I had become a fan of the Hawksmoors, then Goodmans and didnt really think we needed more of them - so never went until I was a guest. I found a Jay Ranyer review from 2011, which put me off not least because of this comment,
" If this restaurant opened in New York, its shortcomings would see it laughed out of town."

Has he been to a New York steak house recently? If Barbecoa was going to be worse than some of the places I've been to, it was going to be a not great evening.

So, what was great - the view is unbelievable, and in the summer (table at 7) dominates the place. The baby back ribs (thank you, Jay for that at least) are really really good - and only ten quid. Chateaubriand for two also extremely good. Spinach, baked beans (!), mushrooms, chips are so so. Dry martini at the bar - typical english attempt at the great drink.

Didn't make dessert because the steak was so much.

Dont know how much it cost (other than the ribs) as I wasn't paying. But my host knew her Amarone, so I doubt it was cheap. We left at after 11, so that was over four hours. Its not the place for a quiet conversation - which is another way of saying its pretty lively.

In the grand scheme of things ie London steak houses I've been to, I would put this above Goodman (far better atmosphere and some way above Hawksmoor (familiarity etc, but other than Air Street I always feel I'm in a dungeon). And its a long way in front of JW at the Grosvenor. And then there are those ribs.

Reviewed May 31, 2013

The food at this restaurant is excellent. My wife and I ordered the rib eye on the bone for two with a few sides and we were impressed. The steak was cooked to perfection, medium rare. The sauces, served on the side were very tasty and very well done. This is an impressive restaurant with a great back drop of St Pauls Cathedral. We were there at dusk and the pink blue sky over the Cathedral was majestic. We had a window table and felt very special that night.

The only let down on the night was the service. The service was prompt, efficient but lacked personality and individuality. It was very robotic. I understand the restaurant was very busy and the staff were very competent but it was like they went into production line mode and efficiency became more important than individual service. it is hard to criticise efficiency but it just lacked making us feel special and at a restaurant of this standard you expect more personalised service. this was evident from the front desk to bar staff to waiters so obviously it is a restaurant trait that could be tweaked.

Overall I can't wait to go back. Even though I live in Australia it will be on my list when I return to the UK.

1  Thank amsam