“Excellent all round....”

Cuisines: Barbecue, Steakhouse
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: City of London
Transit: The nearest Underground station is St Paul's on the Central Line (2 minute walk). Mansion House and Cannon Street stations on the District and Circle Lines are also within walking distance
Description: Jamie Oliver's Barbecoa is all about fire, smoke & the best meat we can get our hands on, cooking it using fire-based techniques from all over the world
Reviewed April 28, 2013

We were first timers at this restaurant, and visited late afternoon on a Friday. Was quiet when we arrived, but busy as we left with the after-work crowd. Got an excellent table by the window, facing St Paul's. Was a tough choice choosing what to have from the menu, as it was a meat lovers feast on offer. We shared the bread platter (really tasty) and then the 48 day aged ribeye for 2 with sides and a bottle of merlot. The blurb for the restaurant says you won't taste steak like this anywhere else, and it really was true. The ribeye was fantastic, and plenty of meat too...so glad We didn't opt for full starters as well, as wouldn't have been able to finish both. Our waiter was very good, friendly and knowledgeable, and all the other staff were friendly and professional. An excellent choice for a special occasion, and we'd definitely go back again in the future.

There are newer reviews for Barbecoa

Reviewed April 27, 2013

I asked for a table with a view of St. Paul's, and was not disappointed. I could have just etched the sun set over the cathedral and it would have been amazing

We had pulled pork & pit beef - both were amazing

We also had a lovely waitress who kept wine & water topped up

We want to go back for more

Reviewed April 27, 2013

Our party of four arrived for our 6:15 reservation. The greeters on the door struggled to make eye contact, let alone smile & welcome us into the restaurant. Looked thoroughly bored & bad tempered. Not a good start. We went upstairs and the welcome couldn't have been more different. Everyone was very helpful, the service was good and the meal was beautiful. We'll definitely go back but maybe bypass the reception.

Reviewed April 27, 2013

Went here recently with clients and was not disappointed!
Great location right by St Pauls Cathedral, and we could see this from our table too. Very good welcome and very efficient. Restaurant is very well done, with lovely high ceilings and big windows so feels very spacey - also quite a lot of seating too.
We had the bread platter starter which was very nice and was impressed with the presentation too. I had the pulled pork for my main, which I was slightly skeptical about as it came with a waffle, however I needn't have worried as it was amazing!! Everyone else seemed happy with their meals too.
At one stage when I got up to use the bathroom, a staff member even walked me over to show me where it was which I thought was very good service. There seemed to be a lot of staff on which I think made the service extra specially good - they also seemed genuinely happy to help.
The only negative was that the restaurant was very noisy and it was hard to hear everyone talking, especially due to the layout of the table (booth style). This may not be such an issue at a smaller table with just two people.
Overall I was very happy and am going to go back in the evening for dinner with my fiancee.

Reviewed April 27, 2013

This is the biggest disappointment ever. After being witness to Jamie Oliver's passion about food and his caring attitude to patrons of his restaurant, I find it amazing that he has let this place continue the way it has.

We sat at the bar for ten minutes before being seated, which was fine except that the bar tender didn't get our drinks to us in that time..... and we were the only people at the bar. As it was a celebration we ordered a bottle of Dom Perignon, and were excited as the bottle was being opened. Big disappointment that it was hardly chilled, an expectation one should have for any champagne let alone a bottle that is this expensive. As we sat there, sipping on warm champagne, our appetisers arrived. They were calamari and the short ribs. These, in fairness, were absolutely delicious. Throughout the starters the sommelier was very attentive and smiley, something we later realised was because he was hoping to get another expensive bottle out of us. Our main courses came (the burger, the pulled pork, two portions of chips, mushrooms, and a creamed spinach) and much to our disappointment we had to send it all back except for the burger. The rest was stone cold. They took it back wi no complaints, so we shared the burger until the rest of the food arrived at the supposed right temperature. The burger, although hot, was dry and over cooked. Both myself and my girlfriend commented that we have better burgers at Byron burger. We didn't finish it. When the rest of the food came (for the second time) it was a bit warmer but still cold. The pulled pork was also very dry and looked like it had just been microwaved. Tasted ghastly and again, was unfinished. During the meal our champagne was finished and the sommelier asked if we wanted any other wine. We did, however ordered by the glass as I was driving. He immediately became disinterested as soon as he realised we were not ordering another bottle, and our ordered wines by the glass never showed up at our table. We were then drink less until we left. When our main courses were taken away, with plates still full as we couldn't stomach it, the waitress didn't even ask if the food was ok. In fact, we only saw a waiter or waitress when food was brought to or from or table, never in between. The bill was then brought to us, and at £309 I felt we had had a dreadful evening.
So in total the evening comprised of dreadful food, bad wine, non existent service and a huge bill to pay at the end (with a service charge added by the waiter obviously). I strongly recommend never going to this place and Jamie, if you read this, please please sort it out. You are better than this.
I phoned them today to speak with the manager, but they said he will call me back............... perhaps he will call when our wines are ready.