“Really want to love The Diner but...”
Review of The Diner

The Diner
Ranked #16,065 of 22,827 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Description: The Diner - Islington offers classic American dining, lively tunes and classic cocktails. Full of traditional diner favourites, the menu features salads, juicy burgers and milkshakes. With a decor featuring striking shades of black and red, this American-style diner has intimate leather diner booths and soft lighting. There is a great range of bottled beers, along with root beer, coke floats and fruit juices. The exciting all-American menu has classic items like meatloaf sandwich, Philly cheese steak sandwich or a bacon chilli cheese dog. Featuring an all day breakfast menu, The Diner offers dishes like the breakfast burrito, blueberry pancakes and eggs on muffin. Open for breakfast, lunch and dinner, The Diner in Islington is a trendy place to dine or enjoy a cocktail.
London, United Kingdom
“Really want to love The Diner but...”
Reviewed November 20, 2012

The Diner is practically on my doorstep and should be the perfect place for Sunday brunch but the reality is often small portions of greatly overpriced dishes that I wish I'd just cooked myself! Have been on an evening and the burgers are good (greatly impressed the boyfriend's relatives on our last visit!) and the milkshakes are yummy but avoid the eggs benedict and other breakfast dishes if you're hungry. Also service is very mixed so don't go in you're in a hurry, but the cool decor and quirky vibe make it worth visitng as long as you stay calm and order wisely!

• Visited November 2012

Manchester
“Understaffed and food quality was average”
Reviewed October 31, 2012

I visited this branch having visited the Soho branch and seeing my hotel was close to Islington I figured it would be quieter and closer to walk to.

Unfortunately it seems the restaurant also expected it to be quiet too, they had two members of staff running the entire place; one of them was on the bar and the other was serving.

We expected to be in the restaurant for an hour at tops but we ended up being in there for 2 hours, mainly because we were waiting so long for service. We were sat with our empty plates sat on our table for over half an hour; I nearly returned them to the kitchen myself as the smell of meat was making me feel a bit sick after a while.

If you like meatloaf, dont have it here. I dont know what was different about it, but that was not meatloaf that Americans make. My friend actually pointed out that Morrisons did a nicer meatloaf.

The deserts were amazing; i had pancakes, which made me think this place might be better for brunch or breakfast than dinner.

There was a kids party in the corner which was also really annoying as they were popping balloons and screaming all evening.

What was good about this restaurant was....

1) they had decorated it for halloween and the decorations were fantastic; I actually thought there had been a murder when I went to the bathroom as there appeared to be blood everywhere! very realistic

2) the pancakes!

3) the hot bar man who was serving drinks.... its worth visiting if just for him!

• Visited October 2012
London
“Tasty food - terrible terrible service.”
Reviewed September 17, 2012

I contemplated what to rate this place. The food was very tasty indeed, but the service was shocking. It is lucky to get a 3.

I had the burger with pulled pork and it was a very very good burger. The Cajun spiced fries were very tasty - and the coleslaw some of the best I have ever tasted.

The service was so bad it was actually funny. We waited 15 minutes for our drinks order and with waitresses walking straight past and ignoring us. It wasn't even that busy either. We had to signal twice for service. The blonde tomboy has such a bad attitude it was unreal, and I notice she has been noted on other sites. We then asked for the bill and waited another 15 minutes before I had to get up and ask again. The look of shock on her face when we asked for the service charge to be taken off was comical.

I urge the owners to look at the staff. You have a place that serves really tasty comfort food, at a decent price, in a fantastic location. However, the behavior of the staff would probably stop me going again.

• Visited September 2012
Los Angeles, California
“Decent American Food but Service SUCKS!”
Reviewed August 3, 2012

The Islington location of The Diner is where we would go for out reminder of American style food but certainly not where we go for American style service. To put it plainly they are SLOW. And attitudes need to be adjusted as well. The blue haired girl with the funky eyebrows is the exception. She does seem to respond a little better than that blond tomboy with all the tattoos. She didn't get our request for water right, and sneered at me when I asked for a larger glass. It was obvious they do not work for tips as the blond went behind the bar to help herself to a bottle of Malibu Rum while our drink order sat on the counter in front of her. When we asked for the check it took 2 tries to have that delivered. With service included in your check thankfully you're not required to pay that.

Granted the food is pretty good. The back of house seems to have it together.

• Visited August 2012
UK
“American style diner that does a great salad as well as the usual burgers”
Reviewed July 15, 2012

I'm always on the lookout for places that do good salads. Surprisingly this tex mex burger Amerixan style diner does a wonderful salad. Called the Cobb Salad it has blue cheese, grilled chicken, avocado, fresh tomato salsa, bacon, hard boiled eggs and lots of very fresh lettuce.