“Something in between”

The Marble Arch by Montcalm
Ranked #611 of 1,063 Hotels in London
“Something in between”
Reviewed March 15, 2013 via mobile

The hotel location is more then
Perfect.The hotel is very luxerious but this doesnt mean functional.the room is small, bed is small for two,bathroom is so dark and small. You cant close the door while washing your face(sink-door)
Curtains are tucked off .
All the design and furniture are expensive but terrible choice.

• Stayed March 2013
marblearch26, Manager at The Marble Arch by Montcalm, responded to this review, March 29, 2013
Dear Goyaoya,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments on Tripadvisor. We appreciate your feedback, regardless of whether it is good or bad, and helps us monitor the service we provide.
I have shared your valuable feedback with my team members. We do look forward to welcoming you back in the near future. Please feel free to contact us for any assistance you may require or for any future reservations.

Kind Regards,

Duty Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
Sheffield
Reviewed March 15, 2013

Great location and high quality hotel. Rooms very small. Great breakfast. Several faults not rectified despite immediate reporting and a 4 night stay. Why do hotels use customers as quality control?
Montcalm have two hotels opposite each other. We stayed at the smaller townhouse. Would consider staying again due to location and proximity to the tube station.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

marblearch26, Duty Manager at The Marble Arch by Montcalm, responded to this review, March 23, 2013
Dear Richard H,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments on Tripadvisor. We appreciate your feedback, I have shared your valuable feedback with my team members.

Thanks And Kind Regards,

chicago, il
Reviewed March 14, 2013

stayed one night on business, then over weekend solo in double room. reasonable rate in a good location, with a small but well appointed room. bed comfortable, good towels, nice coffee maker and teas, brand new bathroom with heated floor, good desk and wifi, friendly staff. room would have been small if I'd been with my husband, but was a perfect size for me. and it was all super clean. I did not try the breakfast, but it looked good (I grabbed tea and banana from Pret a Manger down the street and headed to the park, noted that the Pret a Manger was also open late for snacks ....)

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
marblearch26, Duty Manager at The Marble Arch by Montcalm, responded to this review, March 17, 2013
Dear Ramblegal,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments on Tripadvisor. We appreciate your feedback, it is very encouraging to see guests enjoying and having a good experience while staying with us.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed March 11, 2013 via mobile

I booked our room with an amazing 80% off the rack rate meaning according to booking.com I had booked a room worth £750 a night so I was looking forward to a suite if epic proportions... It was to be a trip away for my Birthday so I wanted the best and booked. A few days before arrival I was told by the Hotel that the rooms were of standard size.. They were cagey about them being luxury rooms so I realised then that the room I had booked had been mid sold and certainly falsely advertised having never been anywhere close to the £750 a night rack rate advertised. They were also keen to explain that although it is described on Booking.com as a Hotel, it is infact a 5 star residence?
After a few emails to and fro (even a telephone conversation with the manager who didn't quite understand why I was upset at the false advertising situation) they upgraded me to a room they said was the best they had (a club room). This room was fine. Not worth £750 a night but not bad.. Probably worth the £153 I paid without breakfast. They were good in giving us champagne and strawberries with chocolates in out room and that was a lovely touch considering the fiasco with the booking. Thank you for that. These were very much appreciated. Sadly at half ten that night I heard water pouting into the bath and rushed to see what it was... There was water streaming through the ceiling via the lighting on the ceiling above. I panicked and as the room phone wasn't 't working (I found out later the toilet phone was) I ran downstairs in mid dress with my three year old daughter in her nightdress to warn them of the leak above. They sent someone straightaway and they managed to stop the leak. We by then had packed our things as the leak had ventured into the room and the lighting above was to me a death trap. I expected to be moved but they insisted they had no rooms available and that the room was probably safe... Probably wasn't the work I wanted to hear.. They showed us to another room which was so small it wouldn't 't have even had room for the travel cot (I fear this is the room advertised for £750 a night do do beware!) so we went back to the room with the flooded ceiling cavity. Probably the worst night's sleep EVER as I had worries if the ceiling collapsing or being electrocuted... This may have seemed melodramatic but even the man who accompanied us back up agreed he would not have had his family stay there that night under the circumstances so he understood my fears. We were moved the next day. There was a fire alarm at around half right at night but it turned out to be a fakes alarm, better safe than sorry there so no complaint at that. We ate elsewhere and didn't have time to visit the spa so can 't comment on those. I think had I known the true price of the rooms I would have booked elsewhere as I enjoy my luxury breaks and their standard rooms would have horrified me in size! If you want somewhere close to Oxford street at an okay price choose a club room but stay clear of the standard rooms unless you don't mind the lack of space. I think I'll bite the bullet next time and pay £600 a night just to make sure I am getting a room worth that.. Do check if booking.com are making out you are getting the bargain of the century as you may just be getting the average rate! Bit of a let down but I was appreciative of the champagne and chocs etc. I do admit the false advertising may not lie with the hotel and could be down to booking.com who I will be contacting seperately. Apart from my nightmare with the booking this is a nice hotel if you opt for a club room. Hope this helps with a few pointers for would be travellers.

• Stayed March 2013
Belfast
Reviewed March 10, 2013

Montcalm was a great hotel. Another great price from Booking.com. The staff had such attention to detail and were so helpful. The location was very central. Unfortunately I didn't have time to check out the spa although I heard it was great.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
marblearch26, Duty Manager at The Marble Arch by Montcalm, responded to this review, March 21, 2013
Dear Philip519,

Thank you for your positive comments regarding your recent stay with us. It is very encouraging to see guests enjoying and having a good experience while staying with us.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed March 8, 2013

This place was great! The rooms were a little on the small side, but they were well maintained with a super friendly , helpful staff. Once you step out the front door of the hotel
And turn rig the tube stop is practically within sight. Would happily stay again.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Dear Antony S,

London
Reviewed March 6, 2013

We visited London to celebrate my husbands 40th birthday, the hotel gave us a free room upgrade, wine, fruit and chocolates on arrival. Sister hotel across the road was very welcoming, we will be staying in the hotel again without doubt.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple