“A good stay” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Marble Arch by Montcalm

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
The Marble Arch by Montcalm
Ranked #601 of 1,086 Hotels in London
London, United Kingdom
“A good stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2011

I stayed here on business, and found it a comfortable place to stay. Nice lobby, quick check in, friendly staff and a spacious room. Room service drinks were very pricey, but that was not too much of a surprise. Location is very good. I'm afraid I can't comment on the value of room as didn't pay for it, and didn't have breakfast so can't comment on that either. I did though have room service food and that was pretty good.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
marblearch26, Manager at The Marble Arch by Montcalm, responded to this review, November 7, 2011
Dear Englishem,

Thank you for your positive comments regarding your recent stay with us. It is very encouraging to see guests enjoying and having a good experience while staying with us.

We do look forward to welcoming you back in the near future. Please feel free to contact us for any assistance you may require or for any future reservations.

Duty Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (108)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2011

I highly recommend this boutique hotel.The staff are rather excellent, however the lady who dealt with my case, Adela the duty manager, was fab! I went for my birthday and that exceeded my rather high expectations: breakfast was a beautiful, quiet and chic experience, with a rich variety of food and the surroundings which create the feeling of being in your private hotel! The lunch at The Montcalm was of a high standard, the waiters were extremely attentive. Adela promised to make my stay memorable, and she certainly did. I shall go back again very soon and a few of my friends have already booked. A gem in the heart of London with a well trained team and an excellent caring manager.

Room Tip: All rooms are quiet, but if you pay a little bit extra, the view on the Cumberland Place architectur...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
marblearch26, Manager at The Marble Arch by Montcalm, responded to this review, October 13, 2011
Dear Ms. SylvieKM,

Thank you very much for your positive comments regarding your recent stay with us. It is very encouraging to see guests enjoying and having a good experience while staying with us.

Kind Regards,

Carlisle, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2011

Thoroughly enjoyed a relaxing two night stay with my sister in law. Aga and all reception staff made us feel very welcome and their customer service was delivered in a genuine and natural manner. Ideal location for central London and easy walking distance to the tube. We enjoyed full use of the spa which is ideal to unwind and relax. We look forward to our next visit.

Room Tip: Request front of hotel
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Lois S
marblearch26, Manager at The Marble Arch by Montcalm, responded to this review, September 5, 2011
Dear Ms. Lois S,

Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2011

we had 2 rooms for a family..the staff were very polite & helpfull...great breakfast....very close to amenities for our needs to see London for our first time....i recommend this hotel for the price, the comfort, cleanliness, the staff and close to all travel needs....

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Dear Mrs. Bernice,

Sheffield
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2011

I did not enjoy my stay, what a stuffy bunch. Please see below an extract from my letter to the management. I am still waiting for a reply:

My first impressions of the Montcalm were poor, I had found a price online (laterooms.com), and thought I would contact your reservations to see if they could match this rate. Since your company has a best price guarantee, I expected this to be an easy task. However, on calling reservations the young man explained that the room type quoted on the website was not actually available, and the only rooms available were rooms of a superior nature. Essentially, he explained that the rate offered was due to a minor clerical error. I explained that despite said error, I could still book the room offered at the cheaper rate. His response was “we would rather you didn’t… it should not work”. However, the booking DID work, and I saved a small amount (around £25). It would seem that your best price guarantee is an empty promise.

On the morning of my arrival, I was in the office very early and called the hotel reception to arrange prior payment on my credit card. I spoke to a young lady called Julia, who assured me that the payment would be processed by her manager before my arrival. After having this point clarified a number of times (the telephonist had only a tenuous understanding of the English language), I was assured that the payment was made all present and correct.

So, you can only imagine my surprise on arrival, that the payment had not (and it seemed could not) be taken by proxy. The manager on duty (a Sabine) arrived not wearing management colours, and was curt to say the least. Still nobody was willing to take ownership of this error: all that could be done was to make payment at this time. Once again, an empty promise.

I settled the bill, and we were shown to our room. A first floor room, pleasantly presented but small. The bath tray quickly filled with water due to a slow running drain, and the kettle did not work.

The kettle was replaced by a porter who ignored my requests to simply leave the kettle outside the door. Imagine my partner’s surprise when a kettle yielding porter bursts into room while she is dressing!

Then, for a good nights sleep…. Or not. The room in question was positioned directly above a staff entrance and all and sundry were standing outside smoking, chatting, even singing from the very early hours. Not particularly professional, although I have to admire their joyful approach to work.

So, I finally check out. I might have thought that given the troubles at the beginning of our stay, the duty manager might have come to check that all was well with our stay… unfortunately, she was rather busy parading around the lobby wearing the most unsuitable of skirts.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank jsutcliffe2
marblearch26, Manager at The Marble Arch by Montcalm, responded to this review, August 15, 2011
Dear jsutcliffe2

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay with us. At the outset I must apologise for the inconvenience faced by you during your stay.

At this point I would like to mention that the reason for our not accepting proxy payments over the phone relates to credit card security of our guests on one hand and a payment assurance for the hotel on the other hand. Most of our guests happy to be assured that we do not just charge credit cards over the phone without an express written permission and a third party authorisation form. I do appreciate that you were mis-informed by Julia about this; please accept my sincere apologies for the confusion.

Thank you for adressing some other points that you came across during your stay - we have these on board with a view to improving our services. I am confident that we will be able to provide you with a much better experience the next time around.

Please feel free to contact me on gaurav@montcalm.co.uk for any further assistanc you may require.

Gaurav Dhaundiyal
House Manager
essex
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2011

stayed 2 nights to celebrated my partners birthday -- very impressive rooms--fabulous decor thro out the room--rain forest shower--small flat screen tv set into the wall above the bath at head height--super comfy beds and great furnishings--best of all signed the guest card on arrival as one does and the receptionist must have spotted my partners birth date because within 15 minutes of entering our room the manager arrived with a complimentary bottle of bubbly, fresh fruit selection , belgium chocolates and a very nice happy birthday card--all the staff really couldn't do enough for you--they really did make it a very memorable weekend--

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear licksmith

Gaurav Dhaundiyal
House Manager
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2011

Traveling w 5people. Didn't tell us there is no room for 3 people in one room. We got there and then they Tell us no room for 3. However they offer a single room for 400 pounds .I figure since we r paying 870 pounds for 3 nights for double room I assumed it for 3 nights . It was when I sAw the bill that I realized they charged 400pounds per night. They charged 1200 pounds for a single room in the basement of the hotel.it's outrageous they knew they tricked me. The people at the hotel has no Integrity n in the business to Rip off travellers. Stay Away from this place

• Stayed July 2011