“Amazing Hotel”
Review of London Lodge Hotel

London Lodge Hotel
Ranked #322 of 1,072 Hotels in London
Reviewed May 10, 2014

This is my first tripadvisor review and I feel I should preface it with a slight declaration of bias: I was staying at The London Lodge Hotel whilst visiting my girlfriend (whom I live apart from) and had an amazing time with her and on my trip in general, so perhaps some of my positive feelings are due to that rather than entirely predicated on the hotel quality.

Check-in was straightforward and fast - I turned up, filled out a form, and the receptionist explained the arrangements for breakfast/meals, wifi, and extras. Then I was shown to my room. The room itself (a single) was well suited for my needs. The bed was comfortable, as were the pillows. There were hangers for clothes (no wardrobe) and plenty of draws and flat-surface space. There was a TV with surprisingly good reception for a hotel, and a minibar that wasn't grossly over-priced (I'd say the things I had were roughly 50p more expensive than they would've been at the Sainsbury's down the road). Also the room comes with a reversible "Do not disturb/available for servicing" door notice and interestingly has a manual inside lock you can use if you are especially worried about someone bursting in - I appreciated the trust implied anyway. Window had a decent view and in addition to standard net curtain had a thicker lowerable blind that kept the room nicely dark at night despite its urban location. Also great air conditioning/heating thermostat.

The ensuite bathroom has showergel, shampoo, soap and a towel rack with two towels.

The staff were amazing - friendly without being intrusive and incredibly helpful. I bought a jacket from a shop in London and realised before I was going out that there was still a tag on it attached with a thick cord - and I didn't have any scissors. I felt somewhat awkward asking hotel staff for help with that but the woman at reception just said 'of course' and cut it off. They even washed, returned and folded the towels I had brought with me in addition to their own.

The location is perfect for anyone visiting the city. Earl's Court tube station is only a few minutes away, there are plenty of buses and all the shops you could need are about 10 minutes walk away at Kensington Highstreet. There are also a lot of good pubs and restaurants within walking distance, and at least two small supermarkets (a Sainsbury's Local and a Morrison's as I recall).

The only negatives I can think of are mostly minor gripes. The blinds in the bathroom window are slightly too small and have gaps at the sides, though the actual shower itself is completely private. They didn't leave much toilet roll in the bathroom, nor replace it (though I'm sure I could have asked). The included breakfast was nothing amazing, but nothing bad either - exactly what you'd expect from included hotel breakfasts really - somewhat undercooked toast, a buffet with cereal, fruit juice etc, a croissant and a choice of tea or coffee. I was slightly put-out at paying for wifi, but the prices aren't bad if you get a day pass rather than pay for minutes (though I wish the hotel staff had pointed this out) and there is a computer with internet access in the lobby you can use for free.

I didn't try the bar/restaurant service so I can't speak to the quality of that. Overall though, a great (and reasonably priced) hotel with helpful staff and an ideal location. Unless you are used to wealthy, luxurious types of place, this seems perfect for the casual tourist or business visitor to London.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Mark C
merilea, Manager at London Lodge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 13, 2014

Dear Mark C,
Thank you for your wonderful review.
Our internet should be free everywhere very soon Watch this space!

There are newer reviews for London Lodge Hotel

Reviewed April 30, 2014

I was told that rooms would be small in comparison to US hotels - anywhere in Europe continent. The room size for me was small but adequate space for walking in between two twin beds. The shops like H&M, cuisines from all over the world are also walking distance, so are the banks, atms, and the train.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank mazetravel
merilea, Manager at London Lodge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 1, 2014

Dear Mazetravel,
Thank you for taking the time to write a wonderful review.
We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you in the future.

Reviewed April 14, 2014

We stayed for 3 nights. Hotel is in a classic building, centrally located and felt like home. A lot of restaurants nearby, which are actually good. Room was surprisingly large with clean bathroom, large windows with plenty of sunlight. The breakfast was included and well worth. Staff were very helpful, we really enjoyed our stay.Thank you.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Nepali_Kancha
merilea, Manager at London Lodge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 15, 2014

Dear Nepali_Kancha,
Thank you so much for your kind review.
See you again?

Reviewed April 13, 2014

Stayed for one night for a conference, decent location, small room, perfectly adequate and reasonably clean. Paid extra for a cooked breakfast, which was dire. Returned the first attempt on the basis of the large ant lying on it's back on the middle of a fried egg, waitress didn't seem to grasp that this optional extra was undesired, so just replaced the food with a shrug. The large screen TV blaring out eastern european TV channels was a bit irritating, but the staff seemed to like it. Drink the coffee rather than the tea, go for the continental breakfast, keep your expectations low, and all will be fine.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business

Hi Durban M
Thank you for taking the time to write a review.
I am very concerned that you think we have ants in our breakfasts as we have regular pest control which has not picked up ants in the 9 years that I have worked here. Could it possibly have been some remainders of a previously cooked egg from the oil?
Please feel free to contact me directly to resolve this issue at your soonest convenience.
Also, we don't have any access to Eastern European music or channels on our television system as we only have freeview. I have discussed this with the team as I am uncertain of the situation as I was on holiday at the time, but they are adamant that no procedures were ignored. Please rest assured that neither of these situations will happen in the future.

Reviewed March 18, 2014

We stayed for 5 nights last September. The breakfasts were great and the service was good,
The rooms were comfortable and the bathroom was quite spacious

The hotel was in a good location just a short walk to the Earls Court train station. It was also a short walk from Kensington Park.
Would stay again

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
merilea, Manager at London Lodge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 20, 2014

Dear Nicola L,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review, we really appreciate everyone's feedback.
For your information, we have just finished refurbishing 2 of our Executive rooms.
Hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you in the future.

Reviewed February 23, 2014

This is a lovely homely hotel in a gorgeous building in such a quiet location. The room we had was excellent, newly refurbed we were told. We did have trouble working out how to work the bath and two showers, but the fittings were all of high quality! We suggested that instructions would be useful. We found the reception staff friendly; breakfast staff not so friendly, but not rude. The breakfast was perfectly adequate with juice, yoghurt, fruit, cereal, toast and croissant (and we were offered more toast and croissants which we declined). We would definitely recommend this for a short trip to London. It doesn't have the lounge/bar/restaurant areas of a big hotel but for a short stay this is really not necessary and all those are available s short walk away.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
merilea, Manager at London Lodge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 25, 2014

Dear stct,
Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to write the review.
Your recommendations for shower instructions is greatly appreciated.
We are glad that you enjoyed the new rooms and look forward to welcoming you in the future.

Reviewed February 9, 2014

I have stayed at The London Lodge Hotel many times over the past 10 years. I stumbled on this magnificent gem of a hotel, very last minute, when I was in need of short notice accommodation. The staff here are amazing. They do everything they are able to make your stay a comfortable one. The location is prime and this truly feels to me like a "home away from home" accommodation. I have recommended this hotel to many of my friends and colleagues and will continue to do so, especially now as the hotel is gradually renovating it's rooms!!!! The new bathrooms look AMAZING. If it wasn't for Lea and her hard working team of staff, this hotel just wouldn't be as appealing as it is.... a little gem!!!!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank Rhiannon J
merilea, Manager at London Lodge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 10, 2014

Dear RhiannonJ,
Thank you for your kind and informative review, it is a pleasure to accommodate you.
See you soon, hopefully!