“Lovely peaceful location”

Ranked #280 of 1,064 Hotels in London
Hampshire, England
“Lovely peaceful location”
Reviewed February 23, 2014

This is a lovely homely hotel in a gorgeous building in such a quiet location. The room we had was excellent, newly refurbed we were told. We did have trouble working out how to work the bath and two showers, but the fittings were all of high quality! We suggested that instructions would be useful. We found the reception staff friendly; breakfast staff not so friendly, but not rude. The breakfast was perfectly adequate with juice, yoghurt, fruit, cereal, toast and croissant (and we were offered more toast and croissants which we declined). We would definitely recommend this for a short trip to London. It doesn't have the lounge/bar/restaurant areas of a big hotel but for a short stay this is really not necessary and all those are available s short walk away.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
merilea, Manager at London Lodge Hotel, responded to this review, February 25, 2014
Dear stct,
Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to write the review.
Your recommendations for shower instructions is greatly appreciated.
We are glad that you enjoyed the new rooms and look forward to welcoming you in the future.
Lea

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 9, 2014

I have stayed at The London Lodge Hotel many times over the past 10 years. I stumbled on this magnificent gem of a hotel, very last minute, when I was in need of short notice accommodation. The staff here are amazing. They do everything they are able to make your stay a comfortable one. The location is prime and this truly feels to me like a "home away from home" accommodation. I have recommended this hotel to many of my friends and colleagues and will continue to do so, especially now as the hotel is gradually renovating it's rooms!!!! The new bathrooms look AMAZING. If it wasn't for Lea and her hard working team of staff, this hotel just wouldn't be as appealing as it is.... a little gem!!!!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank Rhiannon J
merilea, Manager at London Lodge Hotel, responded to this review, February 10, 2014
Dear RhiannonJ,
Thank you for your kind and informative review, it is a pleasure to accommodate you.
See you soon, hopefully!
Seattle
Reviewed February 8, 2014

We stayed here the first time in May, 2013 based on reviews, pictures, location and price. The icing on the cake was Lea's response to all the reviews from people who had "issues". We upgraded to the executive room and had plenty of room for our 4 day stay. We thought the continental breakfast was good and more than enough choices. The front desk person was very helpful in printing out our boarding passes and giving directions and recommendations. I have just made reservations for this May and look forward to meeting Lea (gone when we were there last year).

Only problem we had was noisy partying, soccer fans, but there were huge games going on, so understandable.

Room Tip: Did not see any other rooms, but the Executive room was quite nice and good value (for notoriously e...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank MaggieCPA
Dear MaggieCPA,
Thank you s much for taking the time to write a review, it's very sweet of you.
Can't wait to meet you in May!

Bournemouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 3, 2014 via mobile

Well what can I say. Reception staff brilliant but first room tired and no heating and with what I think as the roof leaking a wet wall behind the bed. Moved to ROOM 16 and wonderful!!!!!! Breakfast is not continental but tea and toast and just very poor. Breakfast staff miserable. Would I stay there again, probably not.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
merilea, Manager at London Lodge Hotel, responded to this review, February 5, 2014
Dear Martin R,
Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to write a review.
Unfortunately, everywhere is suffering from the storms and that has just been brought to our attention by your stay, my apologies that it wasn't noticed sooner but our builder has now found and repaired the problem.
I'm not certain what happened during your breakfast but you had a continental buffet breakfast included. We do bring toast/croissants and tea/coffee to your table as they are freshly prepared but the buffet also has fresh fruit, fruit salad, yoghurt, cheese, cereals and juice plus a sign stating that marmite/honey, porridge, ham and nutella are all available but, with the limited space, it's not possible to put everything on the buffet. The menu on the tables explains what is available.
My apologies if your stay wasn't acceptable but, if you are willing to give us another chance, please feel free to contact me directly.
Wales, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 29, 2013

Firstly, the hotel is in a really good location, short and pleasant walk from the tube station which has really good links into central London in no time at all. It is in a nice area with a few pubs and restaurants within easy walking distance too.

First impressions of the hotel are great, whilst it looks quite small, it looks classy. Great location, very accessible. Very welcoming reception area. Staff friendly,well the English speaking were, others a little bit too clipped (unhappy?) Tastefully decorated and clean.

The negatives: Quite a small room which was tatty in places, damaged bath needs replacing, big stain very visible on divan base of bed, slightly scuffed wallpaper and generally quite tired looking. I can't tell you how disappointed and miserable I felt seeing the room, it was nothing like any of the photographs on the website. No facilities in the hotel other than a rather souless snack bar at basement/street level, very basic menu (although not a bad place to have breakfast in). I would have like to have seen some kind of lounge or even a seating area,but I accept this is a quite a small 'hotel'. Breakfast,hmm - very basic fare on offer. The continental comprised (no meats, only one very small pre-packaged bits of cheese), yoghurts, croissant (had to be ordered), juice and a few cereals. Full English - could have been so much better, very basic/bare minimum, no mushrooms, cheap and nasty sausages, only one slice of tasteless cheap bacon. Over priced for what it was,had much better for much less.

The biggest negative, which really ruined our stay, was the temperature in the hotel, unbearably hot. I knew this was a problem because when were shown to our room the window was wide open and you could still feel the heat. When I mentioned this I was told the only solution was to use the aircon. The window wide open, didn't cool the room,neither did the window shut with full aircon. Unbearable sleepless night, in December! My hair was damp with perspiration as I ate my breakfast in a T-shirt. I am a person whom usually feels the cold, so for me to complain, it must have been really bad. The excessive heat was the talk of the dining room and the only explanation was that American visitors preferred the heat (really?....). (If that were true, isn't there a happy medium to be achieved rather than making the rest of us suffer?)

Sorry, but I don't think I would stay again.

Room Tip: Ours was probably a very standard room, if you want one of the nice ones (only ones shown on the web...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank LadyTokoloshe
merilea, Manager at London Lodge Hotel, responded to this review, January 9, 2014
Dear LadyTokoloshe,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review.
I'm sorry that you didn't enjoy your stay with us. We are currently refurbishing 2 rooms and, as you will appreciate, it take s a while to get through them all without closing the hotel - which we can't afford to do.
Our breakfast has cold meat, porridge, etc included as stated on both the menu and on the buffet table but there isn't enough space and no hot plate to store these items permanently on the buffet. Every guest is asked on arrival to the restaurant if they would like toast and/or croissants so that they stay fresh and do not dry out on the buffet if no-one wants them. Being a small hotel, it is hard to keep the balance between satisfaction and freshness - it appears that we failed you on this occasion. All cooked breakfasts are prepared freshly to order and available items are listed on the menu including mushrooms - all guests can specify how much of each item they require, we are very flexible being an independent property.
It has been found that the temperature sensor on our new boiler had failed and we have since had a replacement.
Maybe you can feel it in your heart to give us another try in the future. Please feel free to contact me directly and I ensure that your stay is a more pleasant one
warmest regards,
Menen
Reviewed December 26, 2013

This is a great hotel located 6 minutes walk from Earls Court Tube Station so gives you easy access to the London Tube network.
We found the staff very friendly and helpful and nothing was too much trouble for any of our needs.
The room was ample in size comfortable with all the basic requirements.
My wife had continental breakfast which was satisfactory I had the English Breakfast which was okay but could have been a little more generous on the portions served.
You can eat in the evening in the hotel but there are also pubs and restaurants within easy walking distance of the hotel.
The decor is a little dated but understand that there will be modernization starting in January 2014 so this will bring the hotel upto date.
We would have NO PROBLEM in recomending this very clean, friendly and comfortable hotel
to anybody looking for a good hotel at reasonable prices.
Thank you to all the staff for our pleasant stay in London and hope to be back with you again.
Steve & Rita

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank bobierita
merilea, Manager at London Lodge Hotel, responded to this review, December 28, 2013
Dear Bobierita,
Thank you for staying with us and thank you so much for a wonderful review. I am certain that other will find it very useful.
See you again soon I hope.
Devon
Reviewed December 14, 2013

We picked this hotel based on the reviews and also its proximity to Earls Court and its Tube station which was about a 5 minute walk away. The main roads where most of the other hotels were on, were really noisy and yet this was in a residential road that was really quiet and convenient.
It was also handy for High Street Kensington too as well as walking along the Brompton Road to the Natural History Museum and the Science Museum.
Inside it was okay, the rooms were clean and tidy and had both stairs and lifts to all rooms.
The only criticism was that one of the girls at breakfast was quite surly and not very smiley, but other than that it was okay. The reception girl was really helpful giving us maps and information which was good.
Overall we would stay again if we wanted to have a good, clean and convenient location near the Museums and Earls Court.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
merilea, Manager at London Lodge Hotel, responded to this review, December 16, 2013
Dear Jpktrk,
Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to write a review - we really appreciate it.
I hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.