“Great place....for a break”
Review of London Lodge Hotel

London Lodge Hotel
Ranked #307 of 1,068 Hotels in London
Basel, Switzerland
“Great place....for a break”
Reviewed January 10, 2013

My daughter and I stayed here in October 2011. Not only was the location great but the staff was also very helpful and friendly. We had wanted to go out to the movies and dinner but didn't feel like hitting the West End again, and the receptionist who was working there at that time pointed us in the right direction and it wasn't too far to walk from the hotel itself. Rooms were clean and it was nice to put our head down after a long day out. Everything was within good reach. We are planning another visit this July for 16 nights and hope that there will be a room available for us then. We hope our travel agent has some good news for us tomorrow :-).

p.s. we can't remember the receptionist who attended to us at that time but she was expecting her first child and was due to give birth to her baby girl in December. If she is still there, we would love to see her again.

p.p.s....just ignore the rating on the pool and fitness centre. I had pressed the buttons accidentally! Its still a great place to stay!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank ZaiF_61
MerileaLondon, Manager at London Lodge Hotel, responded to this review, January 12, 2013
Hi ZaiF61,
Thank you for your review. It's very sweet of you.
Mirka has had her baby now and she MIGHT be back in February.
We look forward to welcoming you back in July.

Lea

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
Reviewed January 2, 2013

We recently stayed at this hotel for 10 nights with a group of 18 students and faculty. We have only positive things to say, such as:
Lots of hot water
Rooms extremely clean.
Staff - smiling, courteous, efficient. These folks really seemed to enjoy working at this hotel and went above and beyond many times, particularly during a crisis moment to help us. You can leave your key at the front desk with 24/7 reception to avoid misplacing it. This was an excellent feature for students sharing rooms and coming and going at all times.
Beds were comfortable and again clean.
Breakfast was simple, but nicer than most continental breakfast in the US. REAL DISHES, not plastic and a variety of fruit, cereal, yogurt, cheese, toast or croissant.
TV channels adequate.
Location is one of the best features. Close to the TUBE with enough places to eat, shops, grocery, pharmacy all within close distance. The street the hotel is located on is extremely quiet and the hotel itself was quiet as well. I was expecting some noise from our group of students, but only heard them one night.

There were a couple of complaints about the climate in some of the student rooms, but I did not have a problem in mine.

Wifi was expensive and my only complaint would be that perhaps there could be one hot zone for wifi in the hotel. The lobby is small, so I assume that is why there isn't one there, but it was difficult for our students to find free wifi nearby.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Ketti T
MerileaLondon, Manager at London Lodge Hotel, responded to this review, January 4, 2013
Dear Ketti T,
Thank you so much for your wonderful review,
We are hoping to arrange something for the wi-fi in this coming year.
I hope we have the pleasure in the future.
surrey
Reviewed December 11, 2012

We wanted a quiet break away and we got it. Lovely staff made us very welcome. Had a good knowledge of London and things to see and do.
Room was comfortable and very clean and bathroom was cleaner than home. Breakfast (we choose the cooked for extra) was well cooked and served. The mislaid spoon was replaced with a smile (and a giggle).
Here's to another break in the future.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
MerileaLondon, Manager at London Lodge Hotel, responded to this review, December 13, 2012
Dear BunnySurrey,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review, it's always lovely to hear from satisfied guests.
Look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.
Warmest regards and Merry Christmas!
Killinchy, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 9, 2012

Staff are friendly but inexperienced. Rooms are small and tired. My bed was very small. No air con and no temperature control. Location good for Earls Court. Fairly noisy with creaky floors anda loud and slow elevator. I have stayed in worse but not at these prices.

Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
MerileaLondon, Manager at London Lodge Hotel, responded to this review, December 11, 2012
Dear KenCountyDown,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review.
We have air conditioning and temperature control in all our rooms so I'm not sure what happened in your experience.
Unfortuntely, we have recently had a changed of staff but that happens in the hospitality industry, quite often and we all have to start somewhere. I can assure you that this is not our usualstandard of service is very hgih.
Our beds are standard UK sizes are our rooms are typical if not larger than a standard 3 star in London.
I'm sorry that you were not happy with your stay and I certainly wouldn't say that we were the usual standard that you stay in judging by you previous reviews, but if you ever want to stay with us again please feel free to contact me directly and I will make sure that your stay is a more comfortble one.
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 7, 2012

I will start this by saying that I am the first one to skip over bad reviews and thinking people are far too fussy. I also don't normally write reviews on here but felt I needed to because I feel so put out by the way I was treated.

My job involves a lot of travelling and stopping in hotels and I have seen allsorts but generally take it in my stride as even in a poor hotel I generally find the people try their best.

After a late night in the office I arrived at the hotel at 9pm, checked in and went up to my room. As I entered I was hit with a strong smell of cigarette smoke. Not wanting all my clothes and hair to smell, I went back to reception to let them know and see what they could do.

The receptionist informed me that they had no other rooms (which is fair enough) so I asked if someone had smoked in a room how would you clear the smell (expecting her to offer to spray the room or do something to clear the smell) to which she responded they would just open a window.... which is fine when it is though the day... but on a rainy December night in london, at -1.5C... an open window for the evening is quite a daunting prospect!

Up to here is all fine really.... It hasn't gone well, the poor girl on reception is doing as she is told by her manager... I'll just get another hotel and obviously not be charged for the ash tray room....

So I manage to get another hotel about half a mile away, no offer of a cab for the inclement weather but never mind. Just before I leave I clarify that I obviously won't be charged for the room, to which I was informed the full room cost must be paid?!?!

After I picked my jaw up off the floor I tried to understand why I would be charged for a room that wasn't fit to stay in? To which I was told point blank that the cancellation policy had passed therefore charges were applicable.... as if this was in some way me just being fancy, wanting clean air and all...

After a day of wrangling they have reduced the charge to 50%...

I can't believe they have the nerve to try to charge. It shouldn't even be a question!

Bad times

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank adam l
MerileaLondon, Manager at London Lodge Hotel, responded to this review, December 9, 2012
Dear Adam1,
Thank you for writing a review.
I'm sorry that your return visit to our hotel was such a bad one. We are a non-smoking hotel, unfortunately if a guest chooses to ignore the rules there is not much we can do. My receptionist informsed me that she did offer to freshen the room for you with our de-odouriser but you didn't want us to do that. We also didn't get a chance to offer you a taxi as you didn't tell us where you were going.
As soon as we were contacted by your agent we apologised but, unfortuantely, that was the next day and we therefore had no opportunity to offer the room to some-one else.
I understand your frustration and apologise for any inconvenience. Please do contact me directly if you wish to discuss this matter further.
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 16, 2012

I and my husband spent last weekend at the London Lodge Hotel.
The room and bathroom were in good condition especially considering the price we paid.
A continental breakfast consisting of cereals, yogurt, fruit, croissants, toast and fruit was included in the price but cooked breakfast could be ordered at an extra price. The service at breakfast was well as in the reception was very good the staff being efficient, smiling and friendly.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Hleskogar
MerileaLondon, Manager at London Lodge Hotel, responded to this review, November 18, 2012
Dear Hleskogar,
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review.
Hope to see you again,
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 7, 2012

We stayed here in October, we had requested a quiet room but when we booked in we were next to the kitchen where you could hear every word spoken. We asked to change but were told this was impossible. When we came back from our first trip out from the hotel we were told we could have our room changed but it would be twin rooms not a double. We changed rooms and then at breakfast next morning we were told they would move us into a double, in actual fact it was a family room. The staff at this hotel could not have been more helpful, especially the girl on evening reception, she was superb. We found the continental breakfast perfectly adequate. The hotel is very well placed for seeing the sights of London. The only downside was the noise. You can hear every footfall from other rooms and if they use the shower it sounds like the tube station is next door. If you don't mind the noise then you could not be made more welcome.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
MerileaLondon, Manager at London Lodge Hotel, responded to this review, November 8, 2012
Dear Sue A,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I sincerely thought that you would appreciate the size of the family room with it's double bed (and single bed which you obviously didn't need) especially as it was on the back of the hotel which is supposed to be quiet.
Unfortuantely, due to the age of the building (1880), occasionally there is noise from the pipes.
I'm sorry to hear that your stay wasnt a happy one and I hope your voice is back now.
Maybe we will see you again!