“Best steak in London”

Good for: Special occasions, Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Covent Garden
Description: An exquisite British steakhouse and a sensational cocktail bar, Hawksmoor Seven Dials is found in the old Watney-Combe brewery. The fine steaks are cooked on an authentic charcoal grill. With a reputation for the best steaks in London, Hawksmoor serves up critically acclaimed British cuisine alongside exquisite wines. Covent Garden Tube Station is just a 3-minute walk away.
Reviewed September 8, 2013

Eaten here time and time again, never disappoints. Love the macaroni and cheese, all the cuts f steak are fab too. Save room for the triple cooked chips.

Highly recommend their Sunday lunch - perfect way to spend a Sunday afternoon and amazing value.

1  Thank Anna J

Reviewed September 8, 2013

I visited the Hawksmoor with my girlfriend as part of a short break to London, after having researched the best-reviewed steak restaurants in the city. Unfortunately I left quite disappointed, having paid over £80 (excluding drinks) for the two of us.

We both asked for our steaks cooked rare. The fillet steak (the most expensive single cut on the menu) was leaning far more towards medium, whereas the ribeye was leaning towards being blue! I would have thought that consistent and careful cooking would be the highest priority for a upmarket steakhouse, but it was not, which was really disappointing.

The steaks had a... decent... flavour, but that is all. I've had far better beef from my local supermarket (and no, that is not an exaggeration).

The peppercorn sauce was terrible. We left it mostly untouched.

The side dishes were better. Bone marrow was cooked well, and improved the flavour of the steak, but I would not recommend it as a starter on its own. The mashed potato was buttery and rich with gravy.

As for the much-admired beef dripping fries, they taste exactly the same as you will get from any fish and chip shop in Scotland (since any good chippy here cooks with beef dripping anyway). Their bone marrow gravy - while nice - is also identical-tasting to the chippy's packet mix.

The atmosphere was decent - it was busy, even late at night, but I found it very dark and therefore a bit difficult to see either the food or the menus in detail.

All in all, a disappointing experience, and if you want a remarkable steak I would recommend against going to the Hawksmoore.

Reviewed September 7, 2013

The venue is informal & simple, the menu is a carnivores haven

The service was very attentive and non intrusive.

2 things to notes, 1) the portions are large! 2) rare means rare!

The only let down was the ribeye was slightly over salted, and bone marrow lacked a little flavour...

I would return

Reviewed September 7, 2013

Went with a chum for dinner, shared a t-bone, good bottle from great wine list, flawless. Order the grilled bone marrow and mac and cheese, good combo.

Reviewed September 7, 2013

No discussion: The food is very good in this restaurant. So, I will directly go to the cons, which made me giving the restaurant just 4 out of five points:
1. Food is very expensive and side dishes cost extra. In total, we paid more than £120 for 2 people without desert.
2. Although we made a reservation, we had to wait around 20 minutes at the bar for our table. Finally, we got the table, which was right in the corner, where we had no view but on the neighbor table.
3. As I don't like vegetables very much, I don't mind. But other people should be aware, that they don't serve any vegetables with the meat and other side dishes have to be ordered separately, as mentioned before.
All in all, I had a great meal (the best in my 6 days in London), which I enjoyed a lot. But, I've already eaten even better steaks for less money even in other countries, as the U.S. or Switzerland.