“Not Top Ten” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hawksmoor Seven Dials

Hawksmoor Seven Dials
Ranked #118 of 22,225 Restaurants in London
Good for: Business meetings, Families with children, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Bar scene, Romantic, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Covent Garden
Description: An exquisite British steakhouse and a sensational cocktail bar, Hawksmoor Seven Dials is found in the old Watney-Combe brewery. The fine steaks are sourced from the award-winning Ginger Pig and are cooked on an authentic charcoal grill. With a reputation for the best steaks in London, Hawksmoor serves up critically acclaimed British cuisine alongside exquisite wines. Covent Garden Tube Station is just a 3-minute walk away.
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“Not Top Ten”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 21, 2012

My birthday treat at one of London's top ten steak houses. Noisey, pretentious, over priced and most certainly not a brilliant steak. I left wanting to get a snack on the way home. Not good considering a bill of nearly £150 for two of us. I would advise a trip to Steak Co instead.

• Visited October 2012
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank pazzags

• Greek first
  • Hebrew first
London
“What a let down...”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 20, 2012

My Father (who is an amazing chef) now lives out of London, and he has tasked my boyfriend and I to find him the best steak in London fr when he next visits. We both thought it would be easy - we eat out a lot and have tonnes of food friends who know they're meat too! So, we booked a table at Hawksmoor and I was sure that we couldn't go wrong.

The service was pleasant enough and our waiter explained the menu well. I had potted mackerel to start, which was more like a mushy paste lacking much flavour. My partner had the bone marrow with onions, which was average.

For main, I had a rib eye - cooked blue. It arrived on the medium side of medium rare, a total let down! I did send it back and the waiter was very understanding, agreeing that it was overcooked and he said a new one was on the way. In the meantime, I nibbled on my soggy 'triple cooked chips' and my boyfriend on his 'beef dripping fries' which were literally stone cold. My second steak then arrived, cooked to perfection... And crusted with salt! I couldn't believe it. I was picking salt flakes off, both sides of the steak. It was just terrible, so I then sent that one back. My partner and friends all tried it too, and agreed. The manager then came over and the excuse was that 'chefs are human and make mistakes'...err not twice in one night when you're paying what we were.

Still hungry, I tried to console myself with the shortbread with salted caramel ice-cream. The shot bread was more like a dense, crumbly shortcuts pastry. It was far too dry. The ice cream was just ok.

My whole meal was removed from the bill, although little consolation for such a diss appointment. From what I read, it can really be a bit hit and miss. Either was, I definitely won't be returning or recommending it - and our hunt for the best steak restaurant continues. Hawksmoor is definitely not it.

• Visited December 2012
2 Thank Georgie T
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Good steak but not at the price”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 19, 2012

Good location, decent service but the food is so expensive for what you get. Watch out as buying by the weight on stsometimes incurs a min size purchase. Wine list OK but again over priced

• Visited November 2012
London, United Kingdom
“It really is the only place to go for a steak.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 19, 2012

I love the Hawksmoor, they are the best in show when it comes to a fat piece of cow!

Went on Sunday afternoon and shared a prime rib and rib eye with some friends. Meat as always is cooked perfectly, chips were stunning and so were all the sides. Service is relaxed but always there when you need them.

Be aware, the Hawksmoor is not cheap. Meat and wine are expensive but in particular with the meat, you get what you pay for! Don't bother with Gaucho, why eat Argie meat when you can support British beef? Plus theirs simply isn't as good. Goodman is good but second. Also, Sophie's Cote de Boeuf is amazing!

Warning! Once you eat steak here, it really is hard to eat it anywhere else again!

• Visited December 2012
2 Thank Chris S
UK
“Best Steak in London”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 18, 2012

If you go for the £25 early evening 3-course menu, this is fantastic value for money. I cannot imagine the steaks for the full, later menu would be anything other than as good - if not better. Great service, great staff and great atmosphere. Thoroughly recommended.

• Visited November 2012