“You will probably expet more than you get”

Grosvenor House, A JW Marriott Hotel
Ranked #234 of 1,075 Hotels in London
Reviewed October 4, 2010

Me and my partner stayed while shopping in London. It's quite out of the way, it's about a 20 minuet walk to the centre and £10.00 in a cab. The hotel it's self was lovely however it felt like you was walking for miles from the Lobby to your room as the place is so big! The rooms had very high celings but was quite small. We had no facilities but had use of the exsecutive lounge which was nice but i would much prefere self service in my own room.The big window next to the show was not very plesent, although you could not see through it, it still freaked me out. There was also an alarm going off at 11.00 in our room to wake us up because we was checking out at 12, i found that rude and inappropriate. The drinks are well over priced but the service is good. I would reccomend this hotel for Business purpose, not so much leisure.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank girlieee

Reviewed October 4, 2010

After writing all the negative reviews for all the other hotels I stayed at in London, I have to be fair and write about this one as well.

This hotel is by far my favorite. Their rates won't make your expense report look obnoxious and the place is devoid of all ills other London hotels suffer. The rooms are clean, spacious and comfortable. Good mattresses, which is important. Excellent room service, good food. Can't beat the location. Staff was very helpful and polite.

I stayed there in April 2010, during the volcano eruption, and they provided discounted drycleaning and some sort of entertainment for stranded guests (which i did not end up using but thought it was a nice touch).

Overall, thumbs up, next time I am in London this is where I am staying.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed September 23, 2010

The hotel was well taken care of and the staff was helpful and polite (but rarely friendly, not necessarily a negative). Prints of London landmarks on the walls in the halls were a nice touch. The bathroom has a towel warmer which was nice and our room had a slim view of Hyde park!

Located in swanky Mayfair, just a few steps from Hyde Park Corner or Marble Arch but far enough away that there isn't a ton of pedestrians. Nearby pub The Audley is nice, and Mount Street Deli is an amazing place for breakfast/lunch/snacks. We walked to Regents park, Soho, the V&A, Buckingham Palace, even the Tate Britain.

Concierge was able to get tickets to Tower of London which allowed us to skip the queue. The Executive Lounge staff was very polite but we seemed to always miss the hors'd'oeuvres but free booze and waters is always appreciated. The gym was really nice!

There is a JW Steakhouse but you may not get it "to go" and you may not order from that menu to room service. Room service is VERY expensive, but it does have an Arabic/Halal menu.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 20, 2010

I was there on a short work trip, arrived Monday Sep 13. There had been a mix up on the booking - not the hotel's fault - but the hotel was very unhelpful about it. when they promised to get in touch with me when it was corrected, they didn't. in fact, i had gone down repeatedly over a day to the hotel's reception to sort things out. only to be told their sales person wasn't around to solve it.
but if you took away that, it was a nice room and it's so near Hyde Park it's nice to take a stroll, especially when you feel so let down by the service at the front desk.
another big problem: the lack of free wifi. at the rates being paid, and with so many hotels providing free wi fi, it is shocking that you have to pay forwifi in the hotel and it costs so much to get it here too.

1  Thank kceteew
Reviewed September 14, 2010

Marvellous rooms, big and so well furnished, beautifull bathroom, excellent breakfast.. But the service is so poor. How can a 5 star hotel make you feel miserable? Because of its employees who can't or don't want to resolve a little problem. You solve it yourself (takes an hour) and everything starts again i the morning. What a shame...

1  Thank Gougouye
Reviewed September 13, 2010

I got this on priceline for a really good price. I generally ignore all positive feedback on here because I assume the hotel is writing it. I thus look for negative reviews and see if there is a common theme. The common theme I found about this hotel was that the service sucked. We generally did NOT have bad service. We got there and had a queen size bed. They wanted £30 per night for a king size delux room.....I was REALLY nice and asked if we could have it free since the hotel wasn't full. They finally said okay. We were on the 6th floor. The view wasn't great but we didn't care. The room was decent size. Great marble bathroom.

Location: pretty good. Easy walk to marble arch. this hotel has as good a location as any for all of the sites. However, if you plan to be in soho a lot, then keep in mind that after clubbing you have to pay a £10 cab ride to get back and/or walk 30 mins to the hotel....not a big deal if you ask me.

My one gripe: Internet cost £20 per day which is RIDICULOUS! I refused to pay this so I went to a vodaphone store (there are a few on oxford street which is the same street the marble arch underground station is on) and got a sim card for my unlocked iPhone. The sim card cost £5 but came with £5 in credit. For £5 you can get 250mb of internet to use for a month!!! If you go over it is only 50p a day for 25 more MBs. I tethered my iphone to my computer and thus had internet for £5 TOTAL rather than paying £20 per night. Also, t-mobile sells a USB wireless modem for £20 that you can plug into ANY laptop. For the £20 you get the USB stick, and one month to use 3 GIGs of internet on your computer! I'm sure the other mobile phone stores have similar deals. My suggestion is to NOT spend £20 per night on internet and use one of these other options.

Service: never had room service or had any problems. The only time we called the front desk was to get a new do not disturb sign since ours was missing. They came within 5 mins which met my expectations. The maids came twice a day (the second time to turn down the bed)...and they cleaned the room well.

For two days they were fixing hot water....the hot water was shut off in the middle of the day for a few hours. No big deal but I'm sure if I was paying full rate and complained enough they would have done something. As it was I didn't complain....weird though that they chose to do repairs during the middle of the day rather than in the middle of the night.

Overall, I would recommend this hotel and stay here again. I would never purchase internet for £20 a night though. In addition, if I was going to pay full price, I'd stay at the renaissance chancery court because for ME, the location was a little better (I was out very late in soho every night).

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank levittr
Reviewed September 12, 2010

I won't write at length about the quality of this hotel. It is up there with the best of them and everything about it is top notch stuff. However, in common with many London Hotels, management does not seem to invest too heavily in staff development and general upgrading of language skills. I would like to mention two incidents in particular:

1) Check in for three people took 32 minutes and the girl insisting in registering us as Portuguese despite asking for our passports. The rooms reserved were King/Queen/Large Twin. By the time of check in (circa 1 pm) we were told that only one room was available (I believe it was Room 573, possibly the most claustrophic place in London). On drawing the attention of the receptionist that we had booked higher quality rooms she said ... what for it ... here it comes: "Wait until 3pm and you might be able to try to change the room". Wow! How's that for a non-committal answer? She must be given every encouragement to pursue a career in the diplomatic service. Eventually, the Manager was summoned and the three rooms made available more than satisfied our expectations.

2) The hotel had some problems with hot water supply (6/7 September 2010) and the management left a note in each room explaining the situation to its clients. Apparently, the problem was solved and staff were given instructions to retrieve the note from each room. On the second floor, a member of staff barged her way into the rooms allowing the best part of 1 nanosecond between her knock and opening the door. One of my colleagues had just emerged from the shower. The lady mumbled something possibly apologetic in broken English and barged straight out. To be fair, the charming lady on the first floor went about the same duties in a more discrete fashion.

Go on Management, go the last mile and make this a truly perfect hotel.