“Wonderful stay”

Ranked #214 of 1,069 Hotels in London
Greenville, North Carolina
“Wonderful stay”
Reviewed August 23, 2010

After reading the reviews, I was worried about the quality of the hotel. I must say, some of the reviews were probably a bit harsh. Our room was beautiful, well decorated, with a comfortable bed. The staff at the front desk was extremely friendly and the hotel more than lived up to our expectations.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank salli_10

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (481)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Wakefield, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 16, 2010

I stayed at this hotel in December 2008 and it was a poor experience. Back then, the hotel had just opened under the new branding odf JW Marriott and was still finding its feet. After nearly 2 years, decided to return and try it again.

On checking in (I am a Platinum Marriott Rewards member) I was greeted warmly and the Duty Manager actually escorted me to the room. To be fair, they had remembered on my last trip that I had to complain about noise and service quality sisues, so they were out to impress!!

The room, a spacious corner room overlooked Hyde Park and was wonderful. I visited the Executive lounge that evening and was pleased to find that complimentary food and drinks (including free flowing Champagne) are still available between 6pm-8pm. The Exective lounge is an excellent perk and on this stay, was very quiet throughout my 2 day stay. Continental breakfast is served daily from 6am-10am. a delicious afternoon tea aof sandwiches and warm scones with jam and clotted cream is also served daily from 3pm-5pm. I found all staff from housekeeping to Management, very friendly throughout and everyone had time for a quiet word or two.

Had dinner on my final night at the newly opened, JW Steakhouse - the food was amazing and well worth a visit - servcie was attentive and friendly throughout.

I found my room very comfortable and really enjoyed my visit. The hotel is not cheap, but you do get what you pay for - so if you are after luxury with friendly service - this hotel is worth a visit.

I will be back and already have my next trip booked.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Bergen, Norway
Reviewed August 4, 2010

This hotel used to be a great hotel with brilliant service and a lovely ambiance. I have stayed here every time I´ve been to London for 10-15 years, but no more! The three last stayes have been very disappointing, and despite of the staffs promises to "have their manager call me after the weekend", I have never heard anything from them again. The first time this happened, I thought there had been a mistake, but after three occurences of the same issues, I have resorted to changing hotel. When I asked for something, I had to remind the staff several times before the problems were fixed. I will not list all problems, as I don´t have the time, but here are a few of them: My fiance and I asked for separate duvays at our arrival at the hotel in the morning.
*The following evening, we asked again. The following morning we asked again, and four eight later they had still not acomplished to change them and we gave up.
* I delivered a blouse for cleaning and specified "no ironing" on the label. The blouse was ironed and ruined, but they still hang it on my door withour even mentioning that they had ruined it. When I noticed, they appologised but did nothing about it. I asked to speak to the manager, they told me that he would call me after the weekend but he never did.
*I became ill at one time when I was there, and called housekeeping to get some extra towels. I waited three hours and called four times to remind them. Finally, I had to get dressed and go to the reception myself to get the towels.
*Some of the rooms are very small and some of the so-called double beds are only one and a half bed.
I have stayed in connecting rooms, suites and normal single- and double-rooms and the quality is very varying within each booking category. If you are so unfourtunate to have to stay at this hotel, make sure you get everything fixed while you are there and don´t believe the staff if they say they will have someone call you - it will never happen! (Please excuse my bad English).

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
Rockville, Maryland
Reviewed August 2, 2010

This is a wonderful hotel right on Hyde Park. The kids loved it when our taxi pulled up in front of the hotel and the doorman was wearing a velvet top hat and tails. The staff was very pleasant and very accommodating. One thing they don't have is ice machines - ice had to be requested through room service. The large rooms are decorated beautifully and the bathrooms are wonderful. On one street away from the hotel (away from Hyde Park) there are a lot of cafes and a small convenience store. Excellent hotel.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank TravelerfromMD41353
Long Valley, New Jersey
Reviewed July 27, 2010

We used Reward Points to book so I cannot tell you the actual cost of the rooms.

The location was perfect, just a five to 10 minute walk from the tube station.

Our room was not ready at 3:00pm but the hotel staff were kind enough to offer us free coffee and pastries from the coffee shop while we waited for just 30 minutes.

The room was very nice with most likely the most comfortable bed I have slept in for quite some time.

What can I say? its a JW and I have never stayed at a bad JW.

Taxi ride to LHR was around 60 pounds

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 15, 2010

nice big room, huge comfy bed, his and her sinks in the bathroom, which again was huge.

Terrible view though and a handyman came into our room when we were sleeping to change a bulb, which he continued to do, that really irritated me.

Good location though, 10 minutes walk from Oxford St and 2 minutes from Hyde Park.

Also, the most extortionate cup of tea ever, but it was worth it !!!!

• Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
Sofia, Bulgaria
Reviewed July 12, 2010

After having read about problems with rooms, I telephoned the hotel a week before arriving to make sure I was given a room with some kind of view. I had bought the room at a discounted rate, from a third party seller, Travelrepublic. I have bought many rooms through this site and have never had a problem before. I was told by reservations that I had not paid enough for my room to be able to choose a view. Very nice response, I did not think, certainly did not make me feel a valued guest. I did at least confirm that my booking was correct and when I was due to arrive.

On arrival at the Hotel, my booking did not exist, they had lost lost my booking. I was told that the failure was down to the travel site I booked with and should have booked with Marriott direct. The receptionist called travelrepublic a 2 bit organisation who dont know what they are doing. I have booked a number of hotels through this site and have had no problems before. They had me arriving on the 1st October, yet my booking was for May. They argued with me, even though I had the accommodation voucher stating the correct dates. I was told that travelrepublic must have filed the dates wrongly. I pointed out to the receptionist that I had called the Hotel the week before and all dates were confirmed as being OK. He even argued with me and told me I had not called the Hotel. I was treated in an abysmal way by the Receptionist because yet again and I quote "I had not paid enough for the room and I had booked it through a third party". I am sorry, but if someone at this Hotel, makes a decision to sell a room at a certain price, should I be penalised for buying it? The simple answer to this is NO! The receptionist made several phone calls and after 20 minutes admitted the error was the Hotels not mine or Travelrepublics but gave No apology. We were not given a coffee while we waited, no recompense, nothing whilst we waited. Very very disappointing. Not what you would expect for a Hotel of this nature.

The room was OK but complete;y soulless. Red walls, strange corridor wall paper, nice bedroom and comfy bed......and in the end wonderful views of the park. The bathroom and shower unit were not the best. Turn down service was just that, they turned the bed down. No gift, no slippers, no mat. We are talking a top 5 star property and a 3 room suite and nothing but a sheet turn down. For me, a 5 star experience begins and ends with the small things, that 4 star hotels don't give. This hotel does not know where to start with customer service, never mind the small touches.

At breakfast, I was not asked if I required toast or coffee. I was ignored by staff who were too busy talking to themselves or by managers who were busy talking to other managers or by managers introducing guests to the managers. I was sat on my own with no service. I had to ask for both coffee and toast. While waiting for my toast, a manager in a suit came over and without saying anything removed my plate of jams, whilst I was sat at the table. He lent over me without saying excuse me and took my jam and honey, unbelievably rude. Can you imagine this happening at a top USA Marriott or in the Far East. This abysmal service could only happen in a London Hotel. I had to get up and ask for them back.

I needed some information, so went to the Concierge. The prevailing could not care less about guests attitude, was even here. I asked for some information, but was served as he was also dealing with another guest. He went to google, did a search and printed off some material, that did not match what I had asked for. He could not care less.

I felt like a second class citizen at this hotel. reading other reviews about this hotel, I am not the first to be dealt with in this manner. The hotel is trading from its name and former reputation. I highly rate the Chesterfield in Mayfair. I recommend anyone thinking of booking this snob ridden ignorantly staffed hotel, to book the far superior Chesterfield, which is usually cheaper, where they know how to treat any guest. I am still looking for a London 5 star property that can match for service the Hotels I have stayed in in the USA, EU and Far East...my search continues. Would not stay again

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business