“Five Star Stay at the Grosvenor House”

Grosvenor House, A JW Marriott Hotel
Ranked #218 of 1,088 Hotels in London
Boston
“Five Star Stay at the Grosvenor House”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2009

We are frequent visitors to London having enjoyed stays with many of the more recognizable hotels but quite simply, the hospitality aspect provided by the guest relations team at the Grosvenor House before and during our stay was nothing short of outstanding.

The hotel itself is meticulously well-appointed and maintained, including the common areas and the actual guestrooms. Although the hotel is very large there is an undeniably warm and comfortable feel to the place, and that extends to the Grosvenor staff, all of whom are extremely accommodating. The Marriott team provided us with excellent service without being obtrusive -- a balance that is not always easily accomplished in the lodging industry. Guest services attention to detail is superior, right down to the coffee and cookies that were delivered to our suite with our morning wake up call. Both my husband and I got the sense that the staff had really gone the extra mile to make us comfortable. Now the only place we will stay at in London is the JW Marriott. We will go so far as to plan our schedule around the Grosvenor hotel’s availability!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank BostonAnglophile

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (461)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Taunton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2009

I checked in to my room on the 4th floor (what a maze, but I got there in the end) and immediately felt at home - rare for me in hotels. It helped that I was attending a function downstairs in the Great Room that evening.

Plus points: Room size, comfortable bed, pleasant view over the street behind, good-sized bathroom including scales - a rare treat! Lots of storage space, clean and well decorated. I ordered a delicious breakfast (£27, room service), which included loads of pastries, jams, marmalade, butter toast, sausages, eggs, bacon, mushrooms, black pudding, tomatoes and tomato ketchup.

Down side: Not as many toiletries as I have come to expect of a five-star hotel, but when I called reception they quickly brought me a requested toothbrush and toothpaste. The bar was prohibitively expensive, but there was at least free bottled water. TV was a bit cumbersome to navigate. I had a long wait at check in on arrival and departure.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2009

This was a GREAT hotel. I'm am continually impressed with JW Marriotts worldwide. I was immediately upgraded when I arrived, but I got the feeling that all rooms, regardless of price, were fantastic. The bathroom was huge. My only comment was that, as an American, it took 2-3 minutes to figure out the shower - 4 knobs to twist. However, the location is superb, the staff is very friendly (some of the nicest EVER), and the property is gorgeous!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business
Dallas/Ft. Worth
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2009

We stayed at the Grosvenor House using our Marriott points for a stay of 8 nights. Upon checking in at 1:30pm we were told the room wasn't ready due to the hotel being full, but we could use the executive lounge because of my husband's Marriott reward status. We were in there maybe 40 min's before they told us our room was ready and gave us the keys. We have nothing but good things to say about the hotel. We had a king size bed, non-smoking room. The bed was very comfortable, the bathroom was above average in size. The room itself was very roomy and decorated in tasteful colors and well kept furniture. We did use the lounge everyday for breakfast, and some evenings for cocktails and appetizers. This was very helpful so we didn't have to go and find something every morning for breakfast. We were here for vacation and really have no complaints. Everyone was very helpful when asked for something. When we called every evening for a wake-up call for the next morning they would ask if we would like coffee or tea delivered to us for the morning. In past reviews there were some complaints of things being "gone" when they would come back to their rooms. I don't care what class of hotel you're staying in, lock it up if you can. If we left for breakfast just to go upstairs to the lounge for 30 min's we locked valuables in the safe. Anytime we leave the room no matter what hotel we are staying at, valuables get locked up. There were no problems with outside noise. Oh, and the tube is about a 5 minute walk. If you go out the doors in the back and walk up to Mount ST. and take a left then walk about 3 blocks there are a couple of good restaurants. Serafino's and Delfino's both were pretty good, but we liked Delfino's better and the prices were fair also. We would recommend this hotel for just about anyone. No complaints here at all. It was a great stay and would stay again.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank lovetolearn
Edinburgh, Scotland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2009

My husband and I stayed here last week for two nights. Our room finally appeared after walking along 8 corridors!!! We had never asked for a smoking room but we got one, thank goodness there was no smell. The room was okay, not large, but the bathroom was quite large with great amenities. The one bad thing for us was NO tea or coffee in the room, when have you ever been to a 5 star hotel in Britain that does not have tea/coffee in the room. We had to buy coffee from the cafe on several occasions, and was quite cold by the time we finally reached the room.
We ate in Bordeau the first evening with my husbands reward certificate and when we booked some 6 weeks beforehand we had said it was our anniversary. They did nothing at all, or even pass comment!!!
I was just back from 10 nights in the same named hotel in Dubai before arriving in London and this was what 5 star means!!! I have never in my life been treated the way I was in the Grosvenor House Hotel in Dubai!!! Grosvenor House London is not a patch on Grosvenor House Hotel Dubai!!!
The breakfast was a bit disappointing as well. We use the Hilton hotels a lot and usually use them while in London, and it is exceptional! I have still to find the British hotel to beat the Hilton breakfast.
The best thing about this hotel is its location, right in the centre of London.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2009

Hotels in the UK are not generally a great standard, but the Grosvenor was surprisingly nice and to a very high standard. I would recommend it highly. It was very modern and very high class it you want a good standard for London stay here not cheap though.

Stayed June 2009, traveled on business
Tallinn, Estonia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2009

I have stayed in all types of hotels before and I have never before lost anything in any of these places. Although the staff was friendly at JW Grosvenor House (except security manager), they were not able to solve the mystery of disappearance of my personal items from the room. It partly ruined my vacation and I cannot recommend this hotel to anyone as I wouldn't want anybody to be worried about their things left in the room while they were out and about.

Stayed May 2009, traveled with friends