“Decadent and Pleasurable!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Grosvenor House, A JW Marriott Hotel

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Grosvenor House, A JW Marriott Hotel
Ranked #210 of 1,086 Hotels in London
Totnes, United Kingdom
“Decadent and Pleasurable!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 5, 2008

This was booked for me via the Priceline website and I was horrified to read that another Guest had used Priceline and felt they were treated differently by the hotel, and the staff. I can only think that this person was simply unlucky, since my experience of the Hotel was completely the opposite.

I arrived to find I had been upgraded to a beautiful King Suite on the 8th Floor of this hotel. Wonderful rooms, spacious elegant and very quiet. I was actually disappointed to have to leave to attend a dinner engagement elsewhere, as I could happily have snuggled up in a robe, ordered in room service and watched a movie!

I was particularly impressed by the unobtrusive manner of the staff.

Breakfast in the room was great, excellent menu choices.

• Liked — It's quiet splendor...
  • Disliked — having to leave was drag!
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled on business
3 Thank Quinonostante

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (459)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 25, 2008

I thought this hotel was absolutely great. It was my husbands 30th birthday and they upgraded our room and also left us a bottle of wine. Its touches like that, that makes a place. All the staff are really friendly. The hotel was also recommended to us by our taxi driver who told us it was better than the Dorchester - cant comment because I havent stayed there. The food in the restaurant is really good as well. The only thing it does lack is a good gym and when they do the turndown service at night a chocolate would be nice!!

• Liked — comfort of bed
  • Disliked — having to leave
berkshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 24, 2008

I was lucky enough to be treated to 1 night (afternoon tea and breakfast was included in the package) stay at the Grosvenor House Hotel. The staff were professional and keen to make the stay enjoyable. For 5 star luxury the package (£280) was fantastic. The hotel is in a great location, close to all the action on Oxford Street. Our room was at the back of the hotel and perfectly quiet. I would recommend the hotel to anyone.

• Liked — You were made to feel special
  • Disliked — nothing, it was all great
Quincy, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 16, 2008

I booked the Grosvenor House for a couple of nights in November 2008. This is an impressive hotel. The public areas are expansive and absolutely gorgeous, and my room was very comfortable, with a distinct entranceway and a decent-sized marble tile bathroom.

The take-out coffee and pastries in the lobby level are a definite plus, as you would have to walk a number of blocks before you hit a coffee bar - the immediate area around the hotel is mostly mansions and upscale car dealerships.

It is true that they do not have enough Internet access in the hotel. I also agree that, although they seem to try hard and are very cordial, the service is not yet at the level of, say, the fabulous Landmark, which I feel is the best five-star hotel in London. But the location - near Oxford Street shopping - is excellent, and I would definitely stay at the Grosvenor House again.

• Liked — Beauty of the hotel and the location
  • Disliked — Poor Internet access
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
St. Louis, MO
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2008

We stayed at the Grosvenor Park Lane Marriott as guests of a relative who is on the New Orleans Saints when the team visited London to play at Wembley Stadium. Therefore, WE did not choose this hotel. The Saints' staff (or the NFL?) did. However, we were VERY happy w/their choice! I am amazed at the bashing of this hotel that some have given it and have to wonder, were these people staying at the same hotel we stayed in? If so, we certainly had different experiences! It is in the upscale residential area of Mayfair, but it's not like you get the feel of it being all that much of a residential area (except that it's lot quieter than, say, Oxford St. nearby.) Hyde Park is across the st. It was very handy to shopping and dining, as well as restaurants. Both the Piccadilly and Bond Tube Lines were within an easy 10 min. or so walk. Oxford St., the main shopping st. in London, is about a 5 min. walk.

Upon entering the hotel there was a lovely fragrance of calla lillies that were in tall vases in the lobby. The hotel is beautifully decorated and slightly more contemporary styled in the main public rooms than you might expect. There is a nice little deli/breakfast area that is good for quicker breakfasts or a snack, plus their main restaurant. The lounge is large and attractive. Elevators worked quickly. The banquet rooms were well designed and the food served at the 2 functions we attended in them were very good, as was their buffet breakfast on our last morning.

We arrived around 1:30 p.m. on a Thur. in mid-Oct., but our room was not yet ready. They had us down for a king bed, but we had wanted two beds. My husband checked the room they planned to give us and it was quite small. They told us the only room w/2 beds they would have available was a smoking room. Someone we knew said they had been given a smoking room but it had NO odor of smoke whatsoever. So we accepted the much larger smoking room w/2 beds.The front desk was very nice about our dissatisfactions, and said our room would be ready in about an hr. and they would take our luggage up while we were away. We joined our daughter and her inlaws, and left the hotel for 2 hrs. or so. Upon our return, our room was ready. It was tastefully and elegantly furnished, and very comfortable. There was no smell of smoke at all. But our luggage had not been brought up. I called and it was immediately delivered. (The bellhop didn't seem to be the brightest star in the sky for sure! But that was minor.) This delay in luggage delivery and the time it took to get our room were the ONLY complaints we had about the entire 4 night stay. However, there was no stopper in our tub, and I love to take long, hot soaks after walking all around. The next morning I mentioned this to a staff member in the elevator who appeared to be a housekeeping supervisor. She asked me our room # and said she would take care of it immediately. After breakfast, not only had she taken care of that, but someone had replaced a burned out lightbulb in our foyer ceiling fixture, which had made it difficult to see when using the closet next to the front door prior to this. I was impressed that this was noticed w/out our mentioning it and taken care of so quickly!

No matter what we needed, the staff was more than courteous and happy to help. They were not at all stuffy and were very friendly. The concierge desk was helpful on a couple of occassions and those there were usually able to give us good advice re: the particulars of various sights and destinations. If the person at the desk didn't know something, he managed to find out. It was cool to have doormen in top hats as well! (Just for photo ops to impress the folks back home!)

I have to mention that on our last morning, I was late coming down to breakfast. My husband had joined others in a large dining room that was where a breakfast buffet was being held for the departing team and their guests. I had trouble locating everyone else, and was very late. Although I arrived just before it was being broken down, the staff urged me to take my time and enjoy my breakfast. One of them came over to us and carried on a very friendly and informative conversation, and there was NO HINT of my being rushed. Quite the opposite! I was told to relax and enjoy my meal, and they really seemed to mean it!

I've not been inside of other hotels in London in this price range, which admittedly is above what we would normally be able to afford. But London is an expensive city and for the location and quality, based on hotels I did scout out in comparison, it was priced as reasonably as others in it's class and location. I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel to anyone and highly DO recommend it!

• Liked — Cleanliness and quality, plus style.
  • Disliked — That I couldn't stay longer!
  • Stayed October 2008
2 Thank mlbcruiser
Oxford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2008

What a fantastic hotel - great stay! It certainly has transformed and this was my first stay since it rebranded to JW Marriott, a brand I stay with worldwide. The room was incredibly comfortable and spacious (rare in London) with the usual luxury of Marriott bedding.

Service was second to none and we particularly enjoyed Bord'eaux - great for a leisurely lunch with some friends.

• Liked — Great service, clean and luxurious
  • Disliked — Having to leave!
Crowborough, UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2008

Well maintained and comfortable room and bathroom. Breakfast quite good, though expensive. Reception staff polite and helpful. All front of house looked the part and well groomed.

• Liked — the luxury bedrooms and beds
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled on business