“Should be TripAdvisor's No.1”

Grosvenor House, A JW Marriott Hotel
Ranked #249 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed October 28, 2008

This is a 5 Star Hotel, so you'd expect everything about it to be excellent....And it is. We were at Grosvenor House to 2 nights, initially occuping 3 rooms in both smoking and non-smoking sections of the hotel. All rooms were stunning. The hotel has recently been revamped, and all areas from the lobby and dining areas to individual rooms & bathrooms are flawless. But it is the welcome and service of a young and enthusiastic team of the staff which sets this hotel apart. For instance, we'd additionally booked a fourth room for 1 night for my brother and his new wife (it was their wedding day and they checked in en route to Istanbul). Despite our booking being at a reduced rate, when we informed the hotel of the occasion, they immediately up-graded my brother's room to a fabulous suite with views over Hyde Park. Similarly, at check-in our requests for twin, king and queen size rooms were all immediately accomodated. Likewise, staff in the breakfast diningroom are courteous & eager to please, taking a geniune interest in guests and meeting any dietary qwerks. Location-wise, the hotel is perfect; a 5 minute stroll from Selfridges & Oxford Street, and immediately overlooking Hyde Park. And despite the proximity to the busy Park Lane, all rooms have sound-proofed windows, so there's no concerns about street-noise or sleepless nights! I've really searched to find fault with Grosvenor House, and there's nothing much to find; erratic elevators, maybe, but that's it. Defintely we'll be back.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled with family
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Write a ReviewReviews (2,759)

Reviewed October 27, 2008

Grosvenor House JW Marriott Hotel. Pk Lane London W1. 5* rated.
2 night weekend stay.

A Hotel review is based on a personal and subjective opinion.
What may be acceptable to you, may not be to me, and vice versa.

Location: Premium. Upscale Park Lane. Marble Arch Tube 5 mins. Oxford St shopping 5 mins away.

Safety: Very good 8/10. Although big city common sense always applies.

Check in: Good. Looked at several rooms to choose from. Staff helpful, mostly European.

Property: A London icon. Re-branded as a JW Marriott Sept 08. Refurbished to a high(ish) standard. Period furnishings mated with modern technology. No wifi...shocking but true.
Well furnished comfortable but small bedrooms.
Luxurious bathrooms with marble, excellent rain shower, quality personal care products, quality towels, bathrobe etc.
Room: Bed should be better for a 5* Hotel. Good pillow choice and high thread count sheets and duvet set. Not a true pillow-top, but rather an add-on soft top over a traditional mattress. I actually found it uncomfortable. Not up to the Starwood Heavenly bed quality. 6/10

Conclusion: I wish I could say it was great, but overall, it did not live up to its legendary reputation or to the JW Marriott standard. A slightly disappointing experience.

US rating: Solid 4 star
Stay again? Probably not.
Value: Poor. 6/10

• Stayed: October 2008
4  Thank Hawaii_son
Reviewed October 15, 2008

We stayed here for 8 nights this month, using Marriott Rewards points. The hotel is beautiful and very elegant. In fact, more than once I felt as if I should apologize for the way we were dressed, since most of the people we saw in the lobby and common areas were much more dressed up than us!

Our room (#568) was small (typical of European hotels) but very nicely furnished. Our view was awful, but that didn't bother us, since we were out sightseeing most of the day anyway. The bed didn't seem to be the standard Marriott Reviva bed, and was a little too firm, but did have a separate pillow top covering. There was a large closet and chest of drawers for clothes, and a nice TV (I think it was a 42" screen).

The marble bathroom was actually larger than I expected, with lots of counter space and nice thick towels. The only real complaint we had was with the shower. While there was a standard overhead showerhead in the tub, this was nonfunctioning. Instead, it had been replaced with a hand held contraption that was very difficult to use, as there was no way to attach it to the wall or anything. To make matters worse, because of the way the flexible metal hose was made, it tended to crimp and when that happened, startling changes of water temperature would occur. After a couple of days, I settled on a method that worked for me, and I share this for the sake of all the women out there - I would wash my hair under the bath faucet, then put the plug in the drain, shave my legs, take the plug out, and then, and only then, turn on the shower head and rinse off and get the conditioner out of my hair. This seemed to work okay, but I have to say, I was really happy to get back to my own shower!

There are several restaurants and lounges in the hotel. We did a small breakfast at the little cafe most mornings, they have pastries, coffee (nasty) and tea (wonderful). The same place, Bord'eaux, has a sit-down restaurant as well, where we did breakfast one day and a light meal one afternoon, it's pricey (as is everything in London) but nice enough. We also did the afternoon tea at the Park Room one day, and that was wonderful. There are a couple of lounges, and we did drinks at the Library one night, very nice atmosphere.

The hotel is located right on Park Lane in between Hyde Park Corner and Marble Arch undergroud stations. The neighborhood is very nice, very upper class and quiet.

Stayed: October 2008
3  Thank Cathy in Boston
Reviewed October 13, 2008

Every positive thing that has been said about this hotel is true. The stay was a wonderful experience, and the staff seemed to do everything to pamper you. While I would not place the hotel in the category of the finest hotels I have stayed, it certainly did not disappoint.

The only small problem I had was access to the internet. As I did not travel with a computer, there seems to be only two ways to access the internet. One was through the television in your room. There was a charge for the access. I did not mind the charge, however, manuvering through the internet with the television keyboard was difficult and clumsy. The only other way to access the internet was a computer located on the ground floor. The problem that there was only one computer, and I was never able to find the computer free of a user.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 18, 2008

We recently stayed at this hotel, Grosvenor House, and were so impressed by the personal service we received. Can't say enough about this quality hotel. Location was great, service exceptional, food out of this world and just a GREAT hotel. Thank you, Grosvenor House for making our 8 days there so wonderful!!

Barbara and Harlan Highsmith
Denver, Colorado

Reviewed September 18, 2008

It was the best experience for me since long time as usually London hotels compare to other destination not always the best. But I think and I am talking here about the service, it is 5 stars plus and I really felt that I am at home,
And I think this property deserve to be a JW Marriott

There in no doubt I will stay in the new JW Marriott next time, because service, food rooms and stuff are all 5 stars

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed September 14, 2008

Stayed for two nights in Sept 08 for a birthday celebration, and we were given an upgrade and free chocolates due to the special occasion. Front desk staff were very friendly and helpful.

The hotel has recently undergone a refurbishment, and as a result all areas felt clean and smart. The room was large and clean, and the bed was fabulous ... absolutely huge and comfortable as a cloud.

We didn't eat in the hotel at all, but had a couple of drinks in the bar at the end of an evening out. As with other public areas in the hotel, we found the bar to be spacious and pleasant. Complementary selection of nibbles with our drinks was a nice touch.

The hotel's location is very good (although a little far from the tube when carrying heavy bags): close to Oxford Street, Bond Street, Knightsbridge etc, and very easy to get to the West End.
By coincidence the hotel hosted the Mercury Music Prize during our stay.

Had we paid full price I would be a little disappointed with a couple of small things, but, as we secured a great deal via Priceline, we were happy with the 3* price for a 5* stay. Would definitely return.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple