“Afternoon tea - not as good as last time.”

Grosvenor House, A JW Marriott Hotel
Ranked #227 of 1,068 Hotels in London
London, England
“Afternoon tea - not as good as last time.”
Reviewed February 24, 2013

I had pre booked for afternoon tea as a birthday treat for a friend. We'd been to the hotel for tea a year before and loved it, but this time the standard was not so good. We were seated nearer the bar and away from the main afternoon tea area, and this seemed to resolve in patchy service as most of the waiting staff seemed to focus on the central area. The dragon fruit cocktail to start with was refreshing and we were offered more of anything we wanted. But the sandwiches tasted a little dried out, as if made in advance. The scones were cold and rather than being brought a new pot of tea the waiting staff simply kept adding hot water. We had to wait ages at the end for the waiting staff to notice us and bring the bill, and finally when they did they took my card away while they went to get the electronic card machine (thought the idea) was that these machines eliminated the need to separate owner from card. Despite already adding a 12.5 percent service charge (which I know is acceptable), I was asked twice by the waiter if I wanted to leave a further tip. I didn't. The service was just about okay, but not exceptional. Overall, didn't think the tea or the ambience was as good as others I've been to in good London hotels, so a bit disappointed really.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (477)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Retford, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 24, 2013

Great hotel with fantastic service. Room facilities were great although the view was disappointing. But having only booked a standard deluxe room, it was to be expected. The bed rates as one of the most comfortable I have slept in, and the shower, whilst over the bath, was incredible. Could have spent the day in there. But the overriding high point was the fantastic service. We were made to feel special , yet it came naturally and not forced. Well done Grosvenor House, we will be back. Oh and whilst at the Hotel, spoil yourself with a visit to Corrigans.

Room Tip: Book a King bed, they are fantastic!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Helsinki
Reviewed February 21, 2013

This hotel has it all: superb location, great restaurant (JW Steakhouse) and exclusive breakfast, phenomenal staff and huge suite - excellent vacation! This is a true five star hotel. I will stay at this hotel next time I'm in London again :)

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Morten S, Hotel Manager at Grosvenor House, A JW Marriott Hotel, responded to this review, February 23, 2013
Dear Helsinki-Mic,

It was our true pleasure having you staying with us on this last visit. Thank you for posting such a great review. I have already shared it with our team as you could not ask for better feedback than what you provided. I am truly delighted that you had such a great stay and in particular I am impressed with the level of service the team provided.

I do look forward to welcoming you back to Grosvenor House, A JW Marriott Hotel on your next visit to London.

Warm Regards

Boise
Reviewed February 21, 2013 via mobile

Stayed on points at this wonderful hotel for several nights just before Christmas. We arrived at the hotel at 7 am after a long flight from US. The front desk staff were gracious and provided 1 of our two rooms right away, as well as commentary breakfast in the lobby restaurant. I'm a Platinum Elite and our second room was upgraded to a spectacular 1 bedroom suite that apartment sized. The location across from the park was delightful and being a few blocks from Marble Arch tube was very handy. The food in the lobby grill restaurant was surprisingly good - steak house at night and lavish breakfast buffet with very high quality selections offered. The club lounge was a little small and sometimes crowded but well stocked with snacks and beverages. All in all we had a great time and would definitely return.

• Stayed December 2012
Dear BandolRose,

Thank you for sharing your review with us. Spending time in London over the holiday season is truly special with all its decoration and winter splendor.

I would also like to thank you for being such a loyal member of the Marriott family and for selecting the Grosvenor House on your visit to London. With your extended travels within our hotels worldwide, your feedback is truly wonderful to receive as you are in the best position to provide a deep insight and comparison.

I am delighted to see that you enjoyed the JW Steakhouse which is currently ranked among the most popular steakhouses in London as well as the spacious accommodations.

Please do let me know should your travel plans take you back to London as it would be my pleasure to provide you with personal assistance to make your return stay even more unforgettable.

Yours Sincerely,

Northern California
Reviewed February 18, 2013

My family & I stayed at the Grosvenor House for a few days during our trip to the 2012 Olympics. We had two adjoining rooms that worked well for us, and found the hotel to be extremely convenient, helpful & responsive, and an extremely courteous staff. We really enjoyed the daily breakfast buffet to get us started. We found it extremely convenient to the London Underground, which allowed us get around the city in a timely fashion, as well as a safe walk back from the station in the evening after late events.

Room Tip: Make sure you take time for "high tea" - it was a special treat
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for spending time with us over the Olympics last year. It truly was a magical time for London and I am sure you got to experience just that. From your review it is evident that we created a perfect setting for your days in London and I am happy to see that you got to enjoy not only our breakfast buffet, but also Anna's Afternoon Tea in the Park Room which definitely is a great treat.

I hope we get to welcome you back should your travel take you back to London in 2013.

Warm Regards,

Bournemouth
Reviewed February 18, 2013

Stayed at the hotel for a long weekend. We arrived about 7.30 pm Friday evening and the man on reception was very nice. When he asked if we had had a good day so far my husband said yes, as it was his birthday. The receptionist noted that something to the fact was on the system and smiled saying to expect something in the room later. When we got in from a meal out there was a balloon, card and huge cheesecake which tasted lovely although we couldn't eat it all. They did supply a box to bring it home but we couldn't carry it. The room, although only a deluxe was very nice with a king size bed which was very comfortable. The view left a lot to be desired - I do wish that inward facing rooms, admittedly cheaper, didn't have to look at ugly pipe work and huge air conditioning vents! The room was quiet and we never heard any noise from outside. Breakfast on Saturday morning seemed a little chaotic - we had to ask for a pot of tea about 3 times and toast twice before it came. I also had to ask for the baked beans to be refilled! cutlery was missing off the table too. There were a lot of guests but the atmosphere was not relaxed. Sunday morning was better as it was less busy. Overall a very pleasant stay but it is expensive if you pay the full amount - we were on a special deal. They also cared for our luggage whilst we saw more of London.

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to write a review after you stay with us. I sense that you had a great stay overall, and I am happy we contributed towards making this special trip so memorable. I am delighted to see that the Front Desk staff went the extra mile and arranged for a small surprise to mark off this special occasion.

Please accept my apologies for the breakfast experience you had on one of your mornings. I have shared your comments with our Food & Beverage team for their immediate attention.

I do hope we get an opportunity to welcoming you back to Grosvenor House the next time you visit London.

Los Gatos, California
Reviewed February 16, 2013

I must say that my expectation exceeded reality. I can't really fault anything, but I expected more. The attendant at check-in was quite amiable. He asked if we wanted to pay for an upgrade, which we did. Because of our Starwood status he gave us an upgrade past that. We had a very nice, large corner room. It was quiet and the king size bed was quite nice.

So what was the problem? I guess I just could not get past the fact that everything seemed so dated and stodgy. There was no one in the sports bar and later we were the only ones in the lounge. One more issue -- we requested free wifi as our member benefit. Turns out that it was only direct connection, not wireless. Wireless only worked in the lobby. In addition, the free connection was only for one continuous hour. What good is that? I will never understand why high end hotels insist on charging an arm and a leg for Internet when it is free at budget places. Makes no sense at all. Wouldn't it be a fabulous customer service perk to be able to say "Madam, your wireless Internet connection in your room is free." That would have earned this review a rating of 5.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Morten S, Hotel Manager at Grosvenor House, A JW Marriott Hotel, responded to this review, February 19, 2013
Dear Renery,

Thank you for choosing Grosvenor House A JW Marriott Hotel on your last visit. I am happy to see that our Front Desk arranged an upgrade as part of the Marriott Rewards membership program and that you enjoyed the size and layout of the room.

The Grosvenor House is truly an iconic hotel with a very traditional style and design. Going back to 1929, this historic building holds an enormous amount of history and this is reflected even today in the way we have designed the hotel.

I am sorry to learn that you experienced difficulties with your internet connection in your guest room. Indeed all guest rooms feature both wired and wireless internet service.

I do get the sense that you had an overall enjoyable stay and I truly hope we get yet another chance to make you one of the many Grosvenor House regular guests who come back to this classic hotel on Park Lane.

Yours Sincerely,