“Wonderful Experience at Grand Dame hotel overlooking Hyde Park”

Grosvenor House, A JW Marriott Hotel
Ranked #221 of 1,073 Hotels in London
Reviewed February 21, 2013 via mobile

Stayed on points at this wonderful hotel for several nights just before Christmas. We arrived at the hotel at 7 am after a long flight from US. The front desk staff were gracious and provided 1 of our two rooms right away, as well as commentary breakfast in the lobby restaurant. I'm a Platinum Elite and our second room was upgraded to a spectacular 1 bedroom suite that apartment sized. The location across from the park was delightful and being a few blocks from Marble Arch tube was very handy. The food in the lobby grill restaurant was surprisingly good - steak house at night and lavish breakfast buffet with very high quality selections offered. The club lounge was a little small and sometimes crowded but well stocked with snacks and beverages. All in all we had a great time and would definitely return.

• Stayed: December 2012
Morten S, Hotel Manager at Grosvenor House, A JW Marriott Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 23, 2013

Dear BandolRose,

Thank you for sharing your review with us. Spending time in London over the holiday season is truly special with all its decoration and winter splendor.

I would also like to thank you for being such a loyal member of the Marriott family and for selecting the Grosvenor House on your visit to London. With your extended travels within our hotels worldwide, your feedback is truly wonderful to receive as you are in the best position to provide a deep insight and comparison.

I am delighted to see that you enjoyed the JW Steakhouse which is currently ranked among the most popular steakhouses in London as well as the spacious accommodations.

Please do let me know should your travel plans take you back to London as it would be my pleasure to provide you with personal assistance to make your return stay even more unforgettable.

There are newer reviews for Grosvenor House, A JW Marriott Hotel

Reviewed February 18, 2013

My family & I stayed at the Grosvenor House for a few days during our trip to the 2012 Olympics. We had two adjoining rooms that worked well for us, and found the hotel to be extremely convenient, helpful & responsive, and an extremely courteous staff. We really enjoyed the daily breakfast buffet to get us started. We found it extremely convenient to the London Underground, which allowed us get around the city in a timely fashion, as well as a safe walk back from the station in the evening after late events.

Room Tip: Make sure you take time for "high tea" - it was a special treat
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family

Thank you for spending time with us over the Olympics last year. It truly was a magical time for London and I am sure you got to experience just that. From your review it is evident that we created a perfect setting for your days in London and I am happy to see that you got to enjoy not only our breakfast buffet, but also Anna's Afternoon Tea in the Park Room which definitely is a great treat.

I hope we get to welcome you back should your travel take you back to London in 2013.

Warm Regards,

Reviewed February 18, 2013

Stayed at the hotel for a long weekend. We arrived about 7.30 pm Friday evening and the man on reception was very nice. When he asked if we had had a good day so far my husband said yes, as it was his birthday. The receptionist noted that something to the fact was on the system and smiled saying to expect something in the room later. When we got in from a meal out there was a balloon, card and huge cheesecake which tasted lovely although we couldn't eat it all. They did supply a box to bring it home but we couldn't carry it. The room, although only a deluxe was very nice with a king size bed which was very comfortable. The view left a lot to be desired - I do wish that inward facing rooms, admittedly cheaper, didn't have to look at ugly pipe work and huge air conditioning vents! The room was quiet and we never heard any noise from outside. Breakfast on Saturday morning seemed a little chaotic - we had to ask for a pot of tea about 3 times and toast twice before it came. I also had to ask for the baked beans to be refilled! cutlery was missing off the table too. There were a lot of guests but the atmosphere was not relaxed. Sunday morning was better as it was less busy. Overall a very pleasant stay but it is expensive if you pay the full amount - we were on a special deal. They also cared for our luggage whilst we saw more of London.

Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to write a review after you stay with us. I sense that you had a great stay overall, and I am happy we contributed towards making this special trip so memorable. I am delighted to see that the Front Desk staff went the extra mile and arranged for a small surprise to mark off this special occasion.

Please accept my apologies for the breakfast experience you had on one of your mornings. I have shared your comments with our Food & Beverage team for their immediate attention.

I do hope we get an opportunity to welcoming you back to Grosvenor House the next time you visit London.

Reviewed February 16, 2013

I must say that my expectation exceeded reality. I can't really fault anything, but I expected more. The attendant at check-in was quite amiable. He asked if we wanted to pay for an upgrade, which we did. Because of our Starwood status he gave us an upgrade past that. We had a very nice, large corner room. It was quiet and the king size bed was quite nice.

So what was the problem? I guess I just could not get past the fact that everything seemed so dated and stodgy. There was no one in the sports bar and later we were the only ones in the lounge. One more issue -- we requested free wifi as our member benefit. Turns out that it was only direct connection, not wireless. Wireless only worked in the lobby. In addition, the free connection was only for one continuous hour. What good is that? I will never understand why high end hotels insist on charging an arm and a leg for Internet when it is free at budget places. Makes no sense at all. Wouldn't it be a fabulous customer service perk to be able to say "Madam, your wireless Internet connection in your room is free." That would have earned this review a rating of 5.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
Morten S, Hotel Manager at Grosvenor House, A JW Marriott Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 19, 2013

Dear Renery,

Thank you for choosing Grosvenor House A JW Marriott Hotel on your last visit. I am happy to see that our Front Desk arranged an upgrade as part of the Marriott Rewards membership program and that you enjoyed the size and layout of the room.

The Grosvenor House is truly an iconic hotel with a very traditional style and design. Going back to 1929, this historic building holds an enormous amount of history and this is reflected even today in the way we have designed the hotel.

I am sorry to learn that you experienced difficulties with your internet connection in your guest room. Indeed all guest rooms feature both wired and wireless internet service.

I do get the sense that you had an overall enjoyable stay and I truly hope we get yet another chance to make you one of the many Grosvenor House regular guests who come back to this classic hotel on Park Lane.

Reviewed February 16, 2013

After a very long trip from Mexico we arrived to London at 11 am. There was a long line in the reception, the receptionist of the hotel was not nice, she was not helpful or empatic with us. She told us that aour room was not ready.
We decidided to go for lunch, the concierge was in a very bad mood and answered in a horrible manner.
We have reserved, 3 months in advance, 2 rooms together.
After waiting until 230 I asked the new receptionist, a girl from Spain, Viviana, if we could enter our room, she was VERY rude and told us that it was impossible, that because we wanted a special thing (our rooms together) it was not a possible thiing to do.

She was arguing with us as if she was making us a favor¡
We had a very important appointment and the driver was coming to pick us up at 230, at 2 we told the concierge to please inform us about his arrivel. At 3 we went to ask again and the concierge, in a very bad mood told us that the driver has been waiting for 15 minutes, we were late¡¡¡¡

This was our 2 visit to the hotel but we think is the last.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family

Dear Ninfa L,

Thank you your recent posting after your visit with us from Mexico. I am sorry that you experienced a wait until we were able to provide a guest room that fulfilled your requests. Although we do try to accommodate as many early arrivals as possible prior to our check in time of 3 p.m. there will be times we are unable to do so. That being said, I am sorry to learn that you felt some of the members of the staff did not provide the service that you have become accustomed to in our hotel. Please accept my apologies if we in any way caused you to feel this way as I am confident this was not the intention of any of us.

Please do let me know if your travels should take you back to Grosvenor House, as it would be my pleasure to personally assist you and to ensure that you will have an unforgettable stay.

Reviewed February 13, 2013

I have stayed at some of the nicest and most expensive hotels in London. I normally end up in Peninsula, Ritz Carlton and Four Seasons properties around the world instead of Marriotts, but I'm happy to say this hotel was terrific. My room was immaculate and rather large with a comfortable chair, large bed, stylish furnishings, etc. Check in was fast and friendly, and their gym has this really cool monitor wall playing parasailing and other adventure sport videos, with excellent cardio and exercise equipment and FREE bottles of water.
The banquet facilities my group used were excellent - an assortment of smoked salmon, chicken and other dishes that were all tasty. The Gordon Ramsey restaurant had a more inexpensive grill that still cost my friend and I 115 pounds for 2 but was really good (and surprisingly quiet - no one screaming like the irritating and obnoxious celebrity chef - I highly recommend the Scottish sirloin and pumpkin soup...
But perhaps the best thing is the location. A stone's throw from Hyde Park and just a block away from Bond Street - a Jubilee Line tube station is just about 4 blocks away. We took the tube in from Heathrow and bought all-day travel cards for just about 8 pounds - I was then able to use the card all day on buses and subways. I have to say that the overall experience was excellent and every bit as good as my stays at the Dorcester and other hotels.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed February 13, 2013

I stay at quite a few Marriott hotels (Platinum) as well as Starwood properties (Gold) due to frequent work and personal travel. I had high expectations for the Grosvenor House, given its location and purported luxury. On this occasion, the experience fell well short of expectations.

The positive points were: convenient location, comfortable bed, nice gym, and very pleasant staff and services in the executive lounge.

The biggest disappointment for me involved the front desk experience. I had requested a high floor and quiet room during the reservation process – a request I reiterated at check-in. The result? Second floor facing the main road. Platinum status typically gets you a little extra service and accommodation, right? Wrong. I received neither the customary amenity at check in nor access to the executive lounge.

I returned to the front desk to handle the three issues referenced above, and eventually was relocated to a different room. Unfortunately, this room still had trash and used towels strewn about from a previous occupant. Additionally, although I was told that my key would access the lounge it failed to work once again.

I made another trip down to the front desk to get access to the lounge, and was finally succesful. Unfortunately, the key then failed to access my room. I was assured following the subsequent trip down the key would work for everything. True? False. The next morning it would not grant me access to the gym. Fortunately, with all the trips to and from the front desk (this hotel is very large) I felt that that any gym activity was simply bonus exercise at that point.

The other notable service deficiency here involves the Internet. You repeatedly get kicked of the wi-if service and must re-enter your code very regularly. It becomes tedious quickly.

I detailed all these issues in a detailed follow-up survey. Naturally, I was contacted by the hotel with some offer of appeasement/apology, right? You guessed it – wrong again.

Save yourself some aggravation and select a different location on your next trip to London.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the main road can be quite noisy, and even the eventual higher floor room facing a side...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank sempo
Morten S, Hotel Manager at Grosvenor House, A JW Marriott Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 16, 2013

Dear Sirs,

Thank you for taking the time to share with us your observations. Clearly these are not the service levels we pride ourself on. We have recently received your feedback from your stay via our guest survey and trust you have received our reply in this regards.

On behalf of the entire Grosvenor House team please accept my sincere apologies for the experience you had on this visit.

Should your travel take you back to London, please contact me directly so that I can ensure you have a most memorable stay here with us.