“My Home in London”

Grosvenor House, A JW Marriott Hotel
Ranked #225 of 1,072 Hotels in London
Reviewed February 12, 2013

While in London I again stayed at my favorite hotel in the world --- Grosvenor House. Since the late 1980s I've stayed there at least a dozen times perhaps 15-20. Originally, the main appeal was its unusually good exercise facility. In contrast, until the last five years most London hotels had had virtually no "gyms". Those with a gym basically converted a hotel room into a modest exercise facility with free weights. In contrast, Grosvenor House had excellent weight training machines, free weights machines, and an Olympic size pool. Moreover, Hyde Park/Kensington Gardens was just across the famous Park Lane. I could easily access a 5 1/2 mile running path around the park. The gym was recently upgraded even further, but it just dawned on me that I am not sure if Grosvenor House still has a pool.

Overtime my choice was about more than just exercise. Grosvenor House is a very traditional British hotel whose appeal surprisingly grew on me. Room service, the beds, and front desk staff are all top notch. It is certainly not inexpensive, but I'm usually on a business trip. The rates are allowed within my per diem and I could pay the same for much lesser accommodations. It is not the most convenient site with regard to "The Tube" (i.e., metro/subway), but I don't mind the 3-4 block walk to Marble Arch station.

While "working out" on my last trip, I perused a photo album on the history of Grosvenor House. I learned that there were many American ties to Grosvenor House. One of the early Lord Grosvenors was in the British House of Commons during the American Revolution, he argued forcibly that the Crown to give much more serious consideration to the American colonist's demands (If he had, we might still be British). The current hotel evolved from the home of the Grosvenor family, also known as the Dukes of Westminster. The Hotel is also only two blocks from Grosvenor Square, the current site of the U.S. Embassy, as well as the site of monuments to Dwight D. Eisenhowser, American pilots who flew combat missions for Britain, and British citizens who died in the World Trade Center on 9/11/2001.

I have stayed in at least a half dozen other London hotels in Mayfair, Leicester Square, near Marble Arch, as well as on "The Strand" when Grosvenor House was overbooked, but I keep returning to my home in London.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
Morten S, Hotel Manager at Grosvenor House, A JW Marriott Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 19, 2013

Dear Yankeehoya,

Thank you for your wonderful review about your "home-away-from-home" here in London. It has been our true pleasure having you as our guest over these years and I would like to extend my personal thanks for being such a loyal member of the Marriott "family".

I am delighted to learn that you find our fitness area among the best you have visited - and although we do not have a pool facility at the moment this may change in the future. The traditional quintessential British style of the hotel is truly charming and I am happy to see that you enjoy it on top of the service that the team provides.

Please do let me know when we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back. It would be my pleasure to personally assist you to make sure you have yet another wonderful stay.

There are newer reviews for Grosvenor House, A JW Marriott Hotel

Reviewed February 11, 2013

Recently stayed for weekend , lovely sized room comfortable and clean although starting to look worn in places . Service experienced was exceptional . We had access to the Exec lounge which was average but functional , breafast in lounge was higher quality than normally expect in lounge. Red Bar lacked any real atmosphere and was mostly empty. Starbucks on site was nice touch but at £1 premium from normal store a but expensive

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to share with us your experience from your recent weekend stay with us. As a hotelier there is no better accolade than to learn that the service provided by the team was exceptional. I will make certain to share your comments with the entire team.

Once again, thank you for review. I do look forward to welcoming you back to Grosvenor House A JW Marriott Hotel in the future.

Reviewed February 10, 2013

Recently attended an awards ceremony here so didn't get much of a chance to fully utilise the room, which was a real shame as it was fantastic. Everything was clean in both the room and the hotel with all members of staff I encountered polite and helpful. Breakfast the following morning was tasty and of great quality......I need to get back to this hotel and spend more time there !

Dear Lewisam,

Thank you for selecting the Grosvenor House for your stay in London. I trust you had a great evening in the Great Room which is truly an amazing setting for these grand events. This facility has been a favorite among our guests attending functions for years and is the largest function space in London. You may find it interesting that in the past this area used to house an ice rink where Queen Elizabeth actually used to go ice skating.

I notice that you enjoyed the breakfast buffet in JW Steakhouse. I do hope you got an opportunity to enjoy one of my favorites - a stack of American pancakes with maple syrup.

I do hope I get to personally welcome you back to Grosvenor House so that we can create yet another perfect stay.

Warm Regards,

Reviewed February 9, 2013

My partner and I stayed at Grosvenor House for a romantic break over Christmas. He chose this hotel as a surprise so our hopes were very high. Check in was fine and the staff were helpful. As we made our way to the room we couldn't help but notice an unpleasant smell throughout the corridors but we put it down to the age of the building. As we got settled into our room, however, we found some underwear from the previous occupants still in the wardrobe, hair in the bath and plughole and no cups with the tea/coffee making facilities. We also found that the bottom of the bath was chipped and the shower head was broken. Before we even had a chance to phone down to services, a member of staff tried to enter our room twice and walked away without a word when we tried to ask if we could help her with anything. After phoning services about the aforementioned issues, the same member of staff came to our room, took it upon herself to rearrange things in the room and left, without an apology, saying that somebody else would be up to deal with it. The room was eventually cleaned. Since our stay, I have written to Grosvenor House about our stay and i'm yet to receive a reply. We have just this weekend stayed in another hotel which cost less that 10% of what we paid at Grosvenor House and found it to be a much more enjoyable stay.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Stacey O
Morten S, Hotel Manager at Grosvenor House, A JW Marriott Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 10, 2013

Thank you for sharing your review with us based upon your visit with us over the holiday period. First and foremost, I wish to extend my sincere apologies for the issues you experienced in regards to cleanliness of your guestroom. Clearly these are not the service levels we pride ourselves on. Your concerns have been addressed with our Housekeeping Management team for the review and internal follow up.

I can confirm that we have recieved your letter; however as there were no contact number or email address noted, a letter went out from my office. As it appears that this correspondence did not reach you, I have contacted you via a separate email to your TripAdvisor account in order to address your concerns. I am looking forward to speaking to you and I am confident we can come to a positive resolution.

Once again, thank you for brining these issues to my attention.

Reviewed February 8, 2013

Stayed at this hotel for one night as we were attending a corporate awards ceremony being held there. Our company budget didn't stretch to room each, so a colleague and I shared a twin room.

Our room was huge (possibly we had been upgraded as our other colleagues didn't have the same experience). Super comfortable large single beds, although they were right next to each other without a space inbetween which would be a bit disturbing if you didn't know the person you were sharing with well. The hotel has tradititional decor with marble bathrooms, and everyting looked very well maintained.

Lovely staff on reception, treated us just as well as any other guest despite obviously being part of huge industry event rather than "proper" guests who's chosen to stay there!

Room Tip: Rooms on the upper floors seem to be bigger
1  Thank 631Claireyfish

Thank you for posting such a favorable review about our hotel. I trust you enjoyed the splendor and grandness of the Great Room which I am sure was a perfect setting for your awards ceremony.

I am delighted that you found our guest rooms to be of such high standard. As you and several other members of the Trip Advisor community have pointed out recently, our rooms are definitely some of the more spacious ones in London. I keep on adding to our list of guests who mention that they have had one of their best night's sleep ever - and I do believe we have found yet another fan of our plush bedding.

On behalf of the entire Grosvenor House team it would be our pleasure to welcome you back the next time you are looking for that perfect getaway for a weekend stay in London.

Reviewed February 8, 2013

I used the Grosvenor House as the base for an anniversary weekend in London. I can't comment much about the hotel food as the only meals we took were breakfasts. They were taken in the Steak House on Park Lane so the location was fine. It was the standard hotel buffet breakfast - my wife ordered some poached eggs which were good.
I have to say that the room was very good (Superior Room) plenty of floor space with a separate dressing area and well appointed bathroom. The bed must be at least 7 feet wide and was very comfortable. The room had the amenities one would expect from a 5 star hotel. this included web access on the TV - although this was a bit slow.
I have stayed at he Dorchester (almost next door) and would say that the Grosvenor is good value for money in comparison. Basically, we saved (significantly) on the hotel room so we could eat at the better restaurants in the Dorchester.

Room Tip: Room was booked via a discount club (Voyage Prive) - so was an upgrade for the same price as a small...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for posting such a great review after your recent visit with us. I am delighted that we could make your anniversary celebration such a memorable one. Having recently stayed in one of our Superior rooms myself, I certainly agree with your observation about the spaciousness and the layout. Also, it is great to see that we have yet another fan of the now world famous Marriott Revive bedding package. It is simply the perfect setting for a great night's rest.

I do hope we get an opportunity to welcome you back to Grosvenor House on your next visit to London.

Warm Regards,

Reviewed February 8, 2013

Stayed one night for business. Great large room with very comfortable beds. Dark and quiet room during night. Didnt try breakfast but lunch was good. Didnt check out in time but that was not a problem. Dont understand why WiFi isnt free.
Easy access from Heathrow to Paddington + subway a short ride to Bond Street.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for choosing the Grosvenor House as your base whilst visiting London. I am delighted that you enjoyed the spaciousness of your guest room; which are among the largest in London. Although we do offer a fee based internet service in our guest rooms, we are very pleased to offer a one hour complimentary WIFI access in our lobby and restaurant areas. I do hope you got an opportunity to enjoy this service.

I do hope we get an opportunity to welcome you back to Grosvenor House A JW Marriott Hotel in the future.

Best Regards,