“Exceptional hotel in an exceptional location”

Grosvenor House, A JW Marriott Hotel
Ranked #229 of 1,068 Hotels in London
Campbell, California
“Exceptional hotel in an exceptional location”
Reviewed January 7, 2013

This is a very fine hotel and the top of the Marriott range. Easily on par with Ritz Carlton. It is a very historic house in one of the most (if not the most) expensive parts of London. Just wander round the local streets and look at cars. For non-Brits this location is the very last property on the British version of the Monopoly board - you know the super expensive one!

A very good welcome and an upgrade from our booking to an Executive suite. A lounge, bedroom and bathroom that together are easily larger than many Londoner's apartments. Very well appointed and comfortable. Truly luxurious.

The Exec lounge was very well appointed with good food and drinks. The lounge staff could hardly go out of their way more to help guests even with some exceptional and unusual requests we overheard. For ourselves, our daughter fell ill over New Year's eve and we had to call a doctor in and they lounge staff were very helpful.

I would come back here or recommend it without hesitation.

Comment to the Hotel Manager; "The bath needs replacing in room 251- the enamel is damaged and the plug is showing rust - the only thing not in keeping with the generally very high standards".

Room Tip: Don't expect to find local good value restaurants close by. This is a very upscale but residenti...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Russell D
Morten S, Hotel Manager at Grosvenor House, A JW Marriott Hotel, responded to this review, January 8, 2013
Dear RJ Dover,

I would like to thank you for choosing Grosvenor House for your stay over the holiday period.

True luxury is what we are all about, and the team seems to have fulfilled your expectations in this regards. Thank you for your kind comments about the Executive Lounge team. As so many other members of the Trip Advisor community have acknowledged, I have to agree that they do an outstanding job and we are very proud to have them as part of our team.

Thank you for your observations about the bath tub in your suite. A note has already been sent to our Director of Engineering for his review.

Once again, it was a pleasure having you staying with us. I do look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel on your next trip to London.

Warm Regards,

Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (474)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Scotland
Reviewed January 7, 2013

Overall this is a really good hotel. We had a good sized comfortable room on the top floor facing into the courtyard with no view but not surprising given we had a "deal". The plus side of that was that it was quiet.
The hotel is ideally situated for central London shopping as Oxford Street is only 5 minutes away and Regent Street is only 20 minutes interesting walk away through Grosvenor Square in which the US Embassy is situated.
The staff cannot be faulted. They are all very professional, friendly and helpful. Clearly well trained and eager to please.
The only issue I had with the hotel was the buffet breakfast. It was very extensive with a very good selection of cereals, fruits, breads, pastries etc. There was also a "hot" buffet selection with egg, bacon, black pudding beef & pork sausages etc. However they were all barely warm to cold. Clearly the "hot" containers were not nearly hot enough. I did mention it to one of the staff on the first morning it never improved in the time we were there. Other than that we had an excellent stay.

Room Tip: Higher floors are quieter.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your recent visit and review. I am very pleased to learn that you had such an enjoyable time and that you found the location to be a perfect setting to explore London.

Please do accept my apologies for the temperature of the items on the hot breakfast buffet during your stay. It is certainly not what you have come to expect from us, but I do hope that you enjoyed your breakfast experience overall. Our Food & Beverage team is already looking into this issue and I am confident that it has already been rectified.

Once again thank you for your kind comments. I do look forward to welcoming you back to Grosvenor House in the future.

Yours Sincerely,

Kuwait City, Kuwait
Reviewed January 7, 2013

i stayed there on october 2012 and came back on Xmas, it was perfect, super service, the only small problem was the strength of wifi , it was law, i am sure the gonna fix this problem pretty soon due to marriott standard

Room Tip: i stayed on 7th floor, amazing neer the lounge
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank alzaidan
Cape Breton Island, Canada
Reviewed January 4, 2013

Had not stayed here previously, very pleasantly surprised. Check in most friendly and accommodating. In fact, except for concierge and bellman, all were the friendliest and most capable staff we have experienced anywhere. The small lounge and adjoining large Park Room restaurant was wonderful, lots of service staff and superbly trained, pleasant to talk with. Mrs. M not so keen on London but after this visit, its closeness to Mayfair and Knightsbridge areas, she would definitely come back to this hotel. Our room was first class, spacious and comfortable. Love the hotel. Once concern, on the reservation they say 'a no-smoking room is not guaranteed'. This is a no-no in North America; I contacted Marriott reservations and they sent me a written guarantee. We recommend this hotel highly.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Allister M
Dear Allister M,

I am delighted to learn that your first visit at Grosvenor House left you with such a positive impression. It is great to hear that you found the friendliness and service provided by the team to be at such a high level. I have taken the liberty to share your observations with our department heads so that they may thank their teams for a job well done.

I am already looking forward to welcome you both back to London and Grosvenor House on your next visit to London.

Yours Sincerely,

Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed January 4, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here for 3 nights during Christmas 2012.

Only major complaint-- Internet is extremely overpriced (£25 a day) and not a great connection. A chain this big really needs to get with the program and stop charging for Internet. It's really a slap in the face to guests.

Location is nice-- right by Hyde Park and near a couple tube stops. However the weather was nice, and tubes closed on Xmas day anyway, so I preferred just walking everywhere. It's a 10-15 min walk to Oxford/Bond Streets, 20-25 to Piccadilly Circus, 15-20 to Buckingham Palace.

Hotel is nice and tidy. I had a "Superior King" which of course was just 2 beds pushed together, but it was a comfortable bed. Nicely sized room with ample storage and a nice marble-tiled bathroom. It was difficult regulating the temperature in the room-- I wanted it colder (unlike most people in the winter), but it would not cool down much even when I shut the system off.

Reception area always seemed busy, and with guests from all over the world. Check-in/out was quick and friendly.
Concierge was a little helpful but I could tell they are understaffed and very overworked.

I would consider staying at this hotel again, but would probably choose something a bit more central in the West End, like Piccadilly area.

Definitely this hotel is nicer than the average Marriott.

Continental Breakfast (included in my room rate) was just average. Decent selection, good juices, runny scrambled eggs. Was fine for me because I'm not a big breakfast person.

• Stayed December 2012
1 Thank TravelWhiz1981
Morten S, Manager at Grosvenor House, A JW Marriott Hotel, responded to this review, January 8, 2013
Thank you for choosing Grosvenor House, A JW Marriott Hotel whilst visiting London. It was a true pleasure having you here as our guests and for taking the time to share your observations with us.

Thank you for letting us know about the connection issues you experienced with the internet in your room. Although we have not experienced any specific issues with our internet system over the holiday period, I have asked our partners to look into this concern.

I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed the guest room and our marble tiled bathrooms. I am also happy to see that you enjoyed the overall service provided by the team. I have noted your comments about the staffing of our Concierge Desk. Indeed the period was busier than usual due to the holidays and I have already taken note of this for the next holiday season. I do hope that you obtained the information you needed to enjoy London and all that it has to offer.

Once again, thank you for sharing your review with us. I do look forward to welcoming you back to Grosvenor House sometime in the future.

Warm Regards

South Florida
Reviewed January 3, 2013

Ok, so after staying here for 3 weeks let me tell you about my stay.

The service is second to known. The Grosvenor House is right at the level (ok, maybe just slightly below) a Ritz-Carlton back in the States. The cleanliness, the appointments, everything is first class. The JW Steakhouse is pretty good, but get out of the hotel and find other great restaurants in London.

The fitness center is very good w/ dumbbells, several machines and numerous treadmills/ellipticals/bikes.

The nearest Tube stop is a 5 minute walk and it's called Marble Arch.

For a ride back and forth to the airport I used "justairports.com", its easily half (say 35 lbs) of what a cab costs and they will be waiting for you as you exit Customs w/ a sign w/ your name on it.

Finally, I have to name personally Telma at the front desk and Merijn in the Executive Lounge as why Grosvenor is first class. They really and sincerely want you to enjoy your stay, and for that I thank them.

Enjoy the hotel, I did.

Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank corevel
Dear Corevel,

Thank you for your review after your three week stay with us. After this extended stay you are probably in the best position to give us feedback about the service levels the team provides. In reading your review, it made me proud to see that you rated us the "best Marriott in London". Knowing the high quality of our sister properties, this is something I know our entire team will highly value. I have made sure that your comments have been shared with all the relevant departments.

I do hope we get a chance to welcome you back "home" to the Grosvenor House on your next visit to London.

Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 3, 2013

My other half treated us both to a two night stay in the hotel for my Birthday in November. He is a golf member at our local Marriott back home so we were able to get a little discount on the room along with free breakfast. The hotel itself is beautiful and in an ideal location. Our room was an average size, with a very comfortable bed, huge wardrobe, amazing shower and all presented very well.

The service was excellent. Every time we left our room it would be tidy again upon return, and all staff in general were very helpful. We did have a wait for breakfast both mornings but the wait was not longer than ten minutes and the staff provided refreshments during our wait. We ate breakfast in the Steakhouse which was an all you can eat help yourself buffet. I did find some of the food was a little cold but everything I ate was very tasty. On the second morning I decided to order a fresh omelette rather than the buffet and again this was very tasty.

Overall this was a fantastic treat in a lovely hotel that I would most defiantly stay in again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Alexa F
Dear Frosty 1989,

It was a true pleasure having you stay with us at Grosvenor House. Firstly, let me thank you for completing your review here on Trip Advisor.

It is great hearing that you left with so many wonderful memories of the hotel and that the team exceeded your expectations. As a side note, I have asked our Executive Chef to look into the concerns you raised in regards to the temperature of the food on the breakfast buffet. Please accept my apologies in this regards.

I do hope we get to welcome you back to Grosvenor House in the near future.