“Old London Grandeur - what a shame”

Grosvenor House, A JW Marriott Hotel
Ranked #219 of 1,089 Hotels in London
New York City, New York
“Old London Grandeur - what a shame”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 12, 2012

Was excited to be booked into Grosvenor House recently on a work trip to London. Although if I have my pick I will always go for a modern minimalist hotel, as a former london resident getting to stay in this landmark excited me. To be completely honest the decor and buiding is dated, complete with the musty/stuffy smell, but that I kind of expected. What I found disappointing was the service which should ne why people return to this place over and over again. From arriving at the Park Lane entrance (not the usual cab drop of) and having to audibly ask the door man to help me with the bags I was obviously struggling with; filling out a check in card with updated address and newspaper requests which never arrived; witnessing long lines at check out time every morning I pre empted by requesting an express checkout, which required 10 mins at reception the night before, 2 follow up calls the next day and me leaving without the receipt (it was emailed a few hours later). I don't think I am demanding when it comes to service, but they didn't get the simple essentials right, which with that price tag is not really acceptable. I wouldn't waste my or my companies money there again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank RalitzaF
Morten S, Manager at Grosvenor House, A JW Marriott Hotel, responded to this review, November 13, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share with us your observations from your most recent stay with us. I am sorry to see that we did not fulfill your expectations as one of London's most traditional hotels. It is evident that we could have done a better job as what you describe is certainly not the service level we have become known to provide. I have taken the liberty to contact you directly via email so that we can discuss your concerns in further details.

Morten Skumsrud
Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (461)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Midlands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2012

This was my second stay, some years after the first, and only a brief stop. However, the hotel is a lovely grand place which somehow manages to maintain a warm welcome in a big city. Staying here just makes me feel special.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Doha, Qatar
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2012

Nice hotel, lobby, location, and ambiance. However, the rooms can vary from being either very good or terrible. Some rooms are too small to fit a suitcase in. Other rooms can be fairly large. I guess it depends on luck. I think its about time for a renovation of the lobby as it is starting to show its age. I am used to this hotel as I stay here more or less once a year due to the Marriott Rewards points, and to my colleages.

Room Tip: Dont take rooms near the elevator. Try to bargain your way into a larger room. Even though they migh...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Morten S, Manager at Grosvenor House, A JW Marriott Hotel, responded to this review, January 1, 2013
Dear Halawala,

Thank you for your recent feedback and for being such a loyal guest at Grosvenor House. It was truly our pleasure having you stay with us.

I am very happy to see that you enjoy the overall hotel although you have found the room sizes to vary depending on the room category booked. Although the hotel offers a wide range of rooms and suites, very few of our rooms could be classified as small except for a handful of single bed guest rooms. I can certainly understand your disappointment if this was the case.

I do look forward to welcoming you back to Grosvenor House in 2013. If I can be of any assistance prior to or during your stay with us, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Warm Regards

Morten Skumsrud
Hotel Manager
Boston, MA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2012

Stayed for 3 nights as part of a London & Paris trip. The hotel did not disappoint based on the reviews. Service was great - kudos the front desk woman who upgraded us to a wonderful suite (as we are Marriott Gold customers). Although it was on the smoking floor, we could not smell anything in our room although you could occassionally smell a cigar in the halls, which didn't bother us. Just up the street from the Marble Arch Tube stop and easy walking to shopping and restaurants. The Club Level experience was great as well. I would recommend this place to anyone as a first class experience.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Scottsdale, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2012 via mobile

This was my second stay at the Grosvenor House this year. Both stays were excellent. The staff at the front desk and concierge desk are truly helpful. Upgraded to an exceptional corner suite this time (730). Being Platinum level with Marriott may make a difference. Marble Arch tube station on Park Lane is convenient as are some interesting pubs in The Mayfair district. The Only Running Footman was recommended by the concierge desk the first visit. Ate there again this visit and definitely enjoyed.

Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Edwardsville, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 9, 2012

This was our first trip to London so we wanted to make sure we stayed in a very nice hotel. I was not dissapointed with my choice of the Grosvenor House. As a Marriott Platinum Rewards member, we were upgraded to a beautiful 2-room Suite and also had access to the Executive Lounge. Per other reviews, the Executive lounge is a little small, but with a little patience we were always able to find a place to sit. The hotel staff was very accomodating with one exception and the manager of the hotel took care of that right away (not even worth mentioning). We were only there for 6 nights so our days were very busy trying to see everything London has to offer, plus we were there for the NFL game between the Patriots and Rams so that took one of our days. We also took an escorted day-trip to Paris on the Eurostar and the concierge staff was very helpful in setting this up for us. Overall a wonderful trip (other than the football game - we are Rams fans) and the hotel helped contribute to the success of our trip.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Fuerteventura, Spain
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2012

Looking for a perfect place to stay in London ? Then the Grosvenor must be a high priority perfectlocation directly opposite Hyde Park, so open greenary is abound, Rooms are excellant and the staff make sure your every need is catered for..

Close to everywhere you need to be with thise a little further away just a short taxi ride..

Would I go back to stay ?? the answer is a resounding yes I was very comfortable and slept like a baby..

Room Tip: Every Room is Great do not skimp and buy the best you can afford
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business