“Great Visit!”

Ranked #229 of 1,063 Hotels in London
San Antonio, TX
“Great Visit!”
Reviewed October 21, 2012

Our stay at the Grosvenor House was very nice with a few outstanding features. The suite as luxurious and well maintained during our stay. I booked a suite with access to the executive lounge for convenience and to take advantage of the free drinks and meals, thus avoiding the over the top prices in hotel restaurants. Generally the staff were very helpful and attentive. We did encounter a few baffling situations that must be common to London hotels. We went for lunch at the Hotel's Red Bar soon after arrival and the service was not good. We had at least 5 servers some of whom seemed confused that we wanted service apparently during their transition from lunch to tea time. No supervision. Another time the whole restaurant was closed for a private party denying us access to either lunch or tea time. The executive lounge food and drinks were ample and well prepared, and the morning hostess was very helpful. There were too few tables and seats, however, and the staff was slow to clear tables and to refresh the buffet with food, silverware and china. This was our first visit to London, and we needed information on bus and tube access which was generally lacking unless the overworked concierge was available. We finally stumbled on a newstand up Park Lane where bus cards and maps could be purchased. The bus is fun to ride and provides visibility to the city not afforded by the tube, but figuring out which bus goes where is difficult. Internet access is free in the executive lounge, but not in rooms which seems niggling considering the accomodation prices. There was little information in the suite regarding hotel restaurants so we mostly ate out. With a little attention to detail this hotel would warrant a top rating.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Morten S, Manager at Grosvenor House, A JW Marriott Hotel, responded to this review, November 3, 2012
Thank you for your overall positive review of the Grosvenor House. I am happy to see that you had an enjoyable stay despite a few "hick-ups" as you described.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the confusion surrounding the service in the Park Room during lunch time. This should be a very normal transition period and what you describe is certainly not the standard. The Park Room staff traditionally receive very high service scores from our guests, and I am sorry you did not get to encounter this on your visit. Although we at time do close the Park Room for private events for shorter periods of time, we always offer an alternative location in these instances. I am sorry that you were not informed correctly about this, as I am sure you would have enjoyed a light lunch in JW Steakhouse or the afternoon tea setting in our Executive Lounge.

Thank you for sharing with us your feedback about the Executive Lounge. The offering is indeed one of the best that I have experienced and I am happy to see that you enjoyed it. I am also very pleased to see that you found the lounge staff to be very attentive and service oriented. I have already shared your comments about the preparation of the tables with our Executive Lounge management team; who certainly will review how this can improve in the future.

Please do feel free to contact me prior to your next visit at Grosvenor House so that I can personally assist in making sure you have a wonderful stay here with us.

Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (470)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed October 19, 2012

Stylish for sure. Rooms are unusual in that they are new and slick but it just seems an older genre. But it works fine. Very quiet in a superb location if you like Mayfair. Sophisticated TV system requires a lot of button pushing. Why do they charge for internet in the room ?

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank retiredtravelagent
north carolina
Reviewed October 18, 2012

Staying at The Grosvenor House is such a pleasurable experience. This was our second stay and it was just as we remembered. Our room was exquisite, the service was impeccable and our meal in the hotel restaurant was delicious. Everything about our stay here was five star.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Bill,

Thank you for your excellent review based on your last two visits here with us. Please do let me know when you are schedule to return once again so that I can assist in making your stay even more unforgettable.

Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 16, 2012

One of my favourite hotels in London, Location is great. My room was upgraded and it certainly had the wow factor. The service and staff were fantastic, nothing was too much trouble. I look forward to returning.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank jane01030
Jane,

On behalf of the entire Grosvenor House team, we would like to thank you for your great review and for being ranked as one of your favorite hotels in London. It is evident that we have made a great impression and we cannot wait to welcome you back.

Please do let me know when you are planning your next stay with us so that we can ensure your stay is nothing less than your first one!

West Palm Beach
Reviewed October 16, 2012

I stayed at the Grosvenor House with my parents over 35 years ago when it was still one of London's grandest hotels. I returned in the late 1980s when the Forte family restored it to its former glory, and once more prior to Marriott's renovation, when it had become a terrible shadow of the former grand hotel. We returned last moth for a 10 night stay. I am a Marriott Rewards Gold member and a great fan of the JWs. JW Marriotts are truly outstanding hotels with superb service in every area. Service, although not bad, was definitely not equal to other JW properties. One night I had to call three times for toilet paper, the third time, incredibly, the "at your service" operator told me she needed to ask the night manager for permission! This to a customer that was paying £600 a night!
The American style style steak house was a terrible idea and breakfast there was average at best. The Executive lounge was small, crowded and noisy. A big disappointment for such a famous historic property. I will not return as there are many other better choices in London.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank lhbz
Perth, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 14, 2012

Check-In was very warm, friendly and efficient but it was all downhill from there. For a 5 star hotel on Park Lane there are expectations and, sadly, Grosvenor House fell short on most of them for me. Poor standards of housekeeping would be the only explanation as to why I discovered the previous occupant's disposable contact lenses and packaging along with a half empty toothpaste tube on the sink top. One of the robes had clearly been worn and the general state of the cleaning of the room was nowhere near what I would expect from a 5 star. On our first trip out we returned to find that the keys would no longer open the doors and the very busy reception desk resulted in it taking such a long time to rectify the situation and provide replacement keys. Little niggly things like paying £20 for high speed internet connection and discovering that the email with the login details was not sent therefore limiting my connection to just the laptop was most frustrating. Eventually, after reporting these concerns, the hotel agreed to upgrade us to a suite. The process of doing this was staggering in its stupidity and red tape - all conducted by a less than helpful young lady on the desk who was clearly frustrated that a colleague had made us this offer. It was like a Monty Python sketch at times. Not to go into too many boring details we were told that she could not allow us to have two rooms at the one time, therefore we would not be able to get our luggage and possessions out of the original room to move to the suite as she had now completed the process on the system. Staggering. Anyway, we were eventually moved to the suite which clearly was a 'smoking' room as it was equipped with ash trays and smelt awful. We had clearly asked for a non smoking room as an essential element of our booking but we were so traumatised by the process of being 'upgraded' that we did not have the heart to go back and start all over again. The final insult was on looking out of the window of the suite. I have attached a picture and I think that this needs no further explanation! We did order some afternoon tea from room service and it was very pleasant. Service was quick and the selection of cakes and sandwiches was lovely.
I would most certainly not consider going back to this hotel and would definitely not recommend it to others.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank DCG
Temple TX
Reviewed October 14, 2012

On a trip to England we stayed at the Grosvenor in London and found it to be extremely well located, a short walk from Buckingham Palace. Unfortunately the Queen was in Australia. Great people, even had a fire drill which was very well handled,

Room Tip: try alnd get a room to the font of the hotel