“Good location and reasonably priced”

Rydges Kensington London
Ranked #375 of 1,072 Hotels in London
Reviewed March 9, 2013

Enjoyed our stay here, the hotel has a good location next to Gloucester Road station. Despite being on the 2nd floor and near the main road we were not disturbed by noise. The only downside was that shortly after arrival I asked if they could sort out the heating system, and told them the phone did not work. Two days later these items had still not been checked!!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
JoannaCarruthers, General Manager at Rydges Kensington London, responded to this reviewResponded March 21, 2013

Dear 52stella

Thank you for your review, I am glad your enjoyed your stay here at the Rydges Kensington London and that the 2nd floor front facing room was to your standards. We are investigating your situation regarding the air conditioning and the phone as I believe it is unacceptable.

Hope to see you again when you are next in London.

There are newer reviews for Rydges Kensington London

Reviewed March 5, 2013

I would really like to give Rydges a higher rating, it has all the makings of a great hotel - excellent location (next to the South Kensington tube station), nice decor, friendly staff - but too many things went wrong! Firstly, the screw up with the booking, then forgetting to service our room (twice), and finally they don't know how to make a martini! Great location though.

Dear Nic0le1973

Thank you for your review and comments. We strive on improvement and take reviews like yours very seriously, I have spoken to our reservations manager and he is investigating your booking mishaps and the food and beverage staff member that didn't know how to make the martini is unacceptable, especially for a restaurant/ bar of our caliber.

Please let me know should you decide to return to London and stay with us, I will ensure that your Rydges experience will be better than the last.

Reviewed February 27, 2013

Stopped here for five nights check in was quick the room was clean and the decor was nice it had a mini bar but we didn't use it shower was fantastic it had a safe and you could check your bill every day on the tv which was good the room temp was working perfect only thing I found lt was missing was the little packet of free biscuits you get with the tea and coffee we didn't have breakfast so can't comment on that and the tube was very close

• Stayed: February 2013

Dear Kerry,

Thank you for your wonderful review, I appreciate your time and comments. I will speak to our food and beverage manager regarding the biscuits and see if this is something we can include.

I look forward to your return and appreciate you using Rydges Kensington London as your home away from home.

Reviewed February 27, 2013

This hotel have great location if you want to go to museums, Hyde Park or Royal Albert Hall which is only 5-10 minutes walk away. We got quite a small room, located at the backside which was nice and quiet. The bed was just lovely and the bathroom spacious and well supplied with everything needed for mother and daughter vacation. My daughter fell in love with the necessities in bathroom and actually brought some back home :)
We had continental breakfast included and the buffet selection was quite sufficient for both of us.
Buses stops just outside the hotel and you also have the subway close by.

Dear MonikaFar,

Thank you for your time and comments, our location is certainly one of our best assets. Unfortunately some of the rooms are on the smaller side due to being in such a central location space was certainly limited. However with our recent refurbishment we ensured that we left sufficient living space with good room for the amenities.

I am glad you enjoyed your stay and look forward to seeing you next time you decide to venture into London.

Reviewed February 25, 2013

My partner booked this hotel for my birthday in November. The hotel rooms are spacious (we had an executive room) and the decor is beautiful. The beds and sheets are very comfortable, a very peaceful nights sleep even though we were on the main road side. There is lots of space in the room, to hang clothes, put suitcases and have your essentials out. The toiletries were great quality and smelt divine. The location was great 2 mins from the Tube and lots of lovely restaurants. The blond lady in the bar was fantastic and dealt with some very rude customers calmly and politely. Unfortunately the rest of the service wasn't great, we didn't feel particularly welcome on arrival which continued throughout the stay. My partner had booked wine and chocolates to be in the room on arrival, unfortunately they were no where to be seen. My partner headed down to reception to ask where they were, they said they should be in your room, but sorry we'll have them traced ASAP. After 30 minutes still nothing, so he headed back down to reception, another apology, sorry we'll get them traced ASAP, I can't leave the front desk as we have an event on (very short staffed). Then the phone rang, are you sure they aren't in the room? (Yes we were very sure, we looked in every cupboard, my partner had explained this twice, starting to feel like they thought we were either stupid or lying). Then someone turned up, with a box of chocolates, my partner asked where the wine was? The member of staff said sorry there was meant to be wine too? After another 10 minutes it arrived, by this point we were ready to leave for dinner. On our return from dinner we asked for more ice to cool it again, which the lady in the bar kindly provided. After we left we found we had an £11 charge, for what reason we had no idea. My partner payed for everything on arrival! After calling to find out what the charge was, he was told to ring back another day when the manager was in. So he did, no-one had a clue why they charged him extra and the put it back in his account. The hotel and location is lovely, just felt like customer service didn't matter. A smile when entering the building goes a long way. A beautiful hotel just needs to brush up on the customer service. The customer is king!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear LottieR_12,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel, I hope you had a wonderful birthday. I have added the bar girl you mentioned to our employee of the month scheme because of your nice comments. I am disappointed that the rest of the staff did not meet our normal standards but appreciate you bringing this to my attention. I have investigated and ensured that new procedures and trainings are put in place to prevent a situation like this moving forward. Customer service from our front office department is usually at a high standard and now with the new training and procedures it can only improve.

Reviewed February 24, 2013

The location of this hotel is great.... very near Gloucester Road tube station and a short walk to south kensington... The website is impressive, hotel is Ok but not as grand as the website suggests.... Room was on the small side... booked an executive room but unsure what made this an executive room as we had no bathrobe or slippers and only one hand towel... All in all enjoyed the stay thought the price was pretty fair for the area...

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends

Dear Jacqueline_power,

Thank you for your review, location is certainly one of our strong points. Your executive room certainly should have had slippers and bathrobes and will definitely investigate for you. I am pleased you enjoyed your stay overall and appreciate you taking the time out to share your review with us.

Hope to see you on your return to London

Reviewed February 23, 2013

I chose this hotel because I knew the area and because it's close to Gloucester Road tube station where you can take Central, District and Piccadilly lines. Very convenient to start exploring London. It was a family trip with three persons and they have rooms for three persons. The room was nice, just as the picture here on TripAdvisor. Though I feel I should mention that it's 1 double bed and a couch that stretches into a bed with a fairly thin mattress. Booking a second room would have probably been better. No free wifi in the hotel. Still I think it was a splendid location. Staff was very helpful and helped us to make reservations in a good restaurant.

Room Tip: We had a room on the second floor, from our window we could see the church across the street. Very q...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
JoannaCarruthers, General Manager at Rydges Kensington London, responded to this reviewResponded March 7, 2013

Dear JorisH,

Thank you for your review and high ratings. Location is certainly one of our greatest assets and I am pleased that it served you well, I am glad you enjoyed our restaurant The Jam Cupboard to. The internet is currently chargeable however guests can sign up to our priority guest rewards scheme which is absolutely free and will give our guest 50% off wired internet access. Hope this will be something you wiill consider and look forward to seeing you on your return.

Regards