“Great location in Kensington for Tube stops & museums”

Rydges Kensington London
Ranked #369 of 1,068 Hotels in London
Wellingborough, United Kingdom
“Great location in Kensington for Tube stops & museums”
Reviewed February 2, 2013

We would definitely stay here again, the location was fantastic - opposite Gloucestor Road Tube, 5 mins walk from the Natural History Museum, and close to local parking (at the Holiday Inn, 2 mins walk away, £33 for 24 hours). Staff were very friendly and on-the-ball and the food and drink in the Polo Bar was both delicious and reasonably priced.

We were upgraded (FOC) with no fuss to an Executive double as our standard King didn't have a bath and the upgraded room was much nicer and bigger, with a dualit coffee machine as a bonus. If getting ready to go out (as we were) I'd recommend an executive room as the standard room would have been way too small to cope with two people moving around it.

Only downside was the noise from other rooms and from downstairs, the floors and wall seemed very thin. Noise from reception and the bar/function rooms seemed to carry very easily into our room of the 1st floor, I think in future I'd try to stay on the 2nd floor and up in order to combat noisy evenings and mornings.

Room Tip: Avoid the 1st floor.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
JoannaCarruthers, General Manager at Rydges Kensington London, responded to this review, February 12, 2013
Dear KatiH83,

Thank you for your review and your comments on the hotel.

I am so pleased that you had a great stay and managed to enjoy the facilities in your room which we upgraded you too as well as the Polo Bar.

When booking your next stay with us, please make sure you request a high floor room. However, these rooms do not have the massive floor to ceiling windows or the ornate cornice work on the ceilings. These features are typical of the first floors in Victorian townhouses.

We look forward to seeing you back here soon.

Joanna Carruthers

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (297)
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 26, 2013 via mobile

I would rate this hotel very highly - great location, great staff, fantastic restaurant ( both dinner and breakfast), excellent room ( exec studio) and great decor.

Downside was having to pay for wifi and also arriving to be told our booking had been cancelled!

The booking issue was sorted out very well by the duty manager - he also had the 1st drink on the hotel - nice touch. I would recommend that if you have booked on the Internet and have a valid booking reference to ring the day before travel to check that all is in order. I am not convinced that the systems of the hotel chain are what they should be.

I would also recommend that you join their Privelege club as it gives you cheaper rates on rooms, food and the Internet.

Despite initial problem, I would definitely recommend and will now use this hotel while on business in London.

Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Paul S
Dear Paul S,
I am really pleased to hear that you will now stay with us when travelling to London for business.
The incident in reference to your booking being cancelled is definately an isolated incident and I am pleased that the Duty Manager could resolve this matter efficiently for you.
Hopefully your next stay with us will warrant a 5*.
Vilnius
Reviewed January 26, 2013

The accommodation was very good, staff was friendly.
Modern, good looking and well equipped room, good in size.
The bathroom was great, but lack of covering more from falling water - floor becomes flooded very soon and there is no drainage for that water. And radiator inside was ice cold.
I also recommend you to choose a full English breakfast (which was quite good and tasty), or to go to some places nearby, because there was very poor continental breakfast, only few things to choose.
Wi-fi signal was very good in my room.
The location of the hotel is great, just near the Tube station, ~35 mins from Heathrow airport.

A few things I didn't liked.
Air conditioning turns off after you leave the room, so in winter there becomes too cold in the room, and after coming back it takes a few hours to warm a room with max heating (28 deg). Also on the ground floor I got view to some air ventilation systems, which made to much noise during the night, but I still could get a good and comfortable sleep. Also, one of my connecting flights was canceled due to bad weather conditions, I was stuck in Frankfurt for the first night, but they still charged for it, even that it wasn't my fault...

All in all I think it is a good choice considering location and quality of the room.

Room Tip: Don't take rooms on ground floor or basement.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Dear Banditaz,

Thank you for your review and the great comments received regarding location, accommodation, friendly staff, wifi and English Breakfast.

We are currently reviewing our Continental Breakfast Buffet and including additional items so next time you stay with us I am sure that this will be an option for you.

The hotel does have a Green initiative in place so when you remove your key card from the holder the electrics and heating are turned off. We can however provide you with a second key to remain in the holder when you vacate your room so your room temperature is maintained in your absence.

Can I suggest that you make your bookings on rydges.co.uk or rydges.com as there are other terms and conditions associated with bookings via this site including the option for cancellation on the day of arrival.

We look forward to seeing you back at the hotel on your next visit to London.

Ulverston, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 23, 2013

my girlfriend and i stopped here for new years eve and found the staff to be extremely helpful. we arrived at 11am and were able to check into our room early so could dump our bags and go shop. the tube is the other side of the road and so is a couple of convenience stores to stock up on drink supplies before we went out, the reception staff also gave us a printout of travel advice for new years eve as there were changes to tube and bus timetables., room was reasonable size and beautifully furnished with modern designs.
would thoroughly recommend this hotel for anyone visiting London and wanting a little touch of luxury for a reasonable price

Dear Chris C,
Thank you for your 5 * review of the hotel. This is what we are aiming to achieve so I am thrilled that we have exceeded your expectations.
No doubt you will consider the hotel on your next trip to London, so see you soon!
Reviewed January 17, 2013

Workers on the reception doesnt speak other language than english.ONLY english.:((( What the hotel will do with that?
I find that the is no enaugh ,,good,, changes about really experienced staff by two years time.Same faces...same unknowlege

• Stayed December 2012
Dear Oliduz.,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us again and I am sorry that during your stay we did not meet your expectation of multi lingual staff.

We do however have staff on reception and throughout the hotel that do speak a variety of languages so perhaps your selected language was not spoken or perhaps it was their day off.

I do hope that we meet your expectation on your next visit to the hotel.

Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Reviewed January 15, 2013

I was put up at the Ridges recently by my company. First impressions were great , beautiful inside and out. My room was a tad small but was decorated very elegantly.
The staff were very friendly and helpfull , in particular the young lady in the Polo bar ,Lucrezia I beleive. She was very nice to all the customers in the bar the night I was in , chatted away and made everyone feel welcome.
I have recommended the Ridges to a work colleague who will be flying through London in the near future and will return there myself next time Im in town.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Dear RobertHal,
Thank you for all of your great comments on the hotel and your experience staying with us.
We look forward to seeing you and your work colleagues back at the hotel in the near future.
Gloucester
Reviewed January 14, 2013

Brought my partner to London for the weekend for his birthday and was not disappointed at all! The hotel is in a excellent location, right by the tube and a ten minute walk to the Royal Albert Hall, the Natural History Museum and Harrods! The staff were very helpful with directions and places to eat and the hotel was pleasantly decorated. We stayed in the executive king room which was spacious, very clean and exactly what we expected! The air conditioner was a little noisy but that is to be expected. Bathroom was clean and had everything we needed.
The Polo Bar was a little small but was very reasonably priced and the member of staff was very friendly.
All in all we really enjoyed our stay at the Rydges in Kensington and would highly recommend it.

Dear Kmt90,
Thank you for your fantastic review on the hotel and the 5* rating. Greatly appreciated.
We look forward to seeing you soon.