“Convenient modern hotel at a good price for central London.”

Rydges Kensington London
Ranked #345 of 1,088 Hotels in London
Norfolk
“Convenient modern hotel at a good price for central London.”
Reviewed January 6, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for a visit to a show at the Royal Albert Hall, and were very impressed for what we paid. The Hall, Natural History and V&A museum are all within a ten minute walk. There's a tube stop less than a minute away, and plenty of restaurants and bistros in the immediate area to satisfy your food desires at all times of the day. The in house restaurant was very good, with a great ambiance, food and fast helpful service. The decor of the hotel was right up our street, modern with clean lines and an absolutely huge comfy bed.
The only downside was the noise from the traffic and the air con unit. It wasn't excessive, but we're from the country so any noise will keep us awake! we did nod off eventually though, once the traffic had calmed down after midnight. Our room was on the street side, so I'd imagine the rooms at the back would be very quiet. The air con fan probably wasn't any different or noisier than any other, but we don't have one at home so we're not used to it. We turned it off and were very comfortable temperature wise.
The staff were very helpful in all departments.
We would stay here again.

• Stayed January 2013
JoannaCarruthers, General Manager at Rydges Kensington London, responded to this review, January 8, 2013
Dear Slipalong999,

Thank you for your review, I hope you enjoyed your show at the Royal Albert Hall. Our location is certainly one of our best assets. I am glad you enjoyed the food at our restaurant The Jam Cupboard to. I am sorry to hear about the noise although not excessive, if you like I can update your profile to advise for a room towards the back of the hotel to ensure the noise is kept to a minimum?

Hope you had a great new year and look forward to your return should you deceide to watch another show at the Royal Albert.

Joanna Carruthers

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (286)
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Rugeley, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 3, 2013

for the standard off hotel and location the price for a room is fantastic, would recommend to anyone looking a break in London. the air conditioning in room made a noise even when switched off and could clearly hear the room next door when water is running, apart from that faultless!!

• Stayed December 2012
JoannaCarruthers, General Manager at Rydges Kensington London, responded to this review, January 21, 2013
Dear Sjones740,

Thank you for your review, I am pleased you found our location great and the room good value for money.

I am sorry to hear about that noise in your room, if you could let me know what room it is I will ensure that our maintanence look into it and try and resolve the problem.

Hope to see you on your next visit to London.

Reviewed January 2, 2013 via mobile

The best feature of this hotel was the location. The room and bathroom were very tiny but clean and suitable. Very close to the tube station and other tourist attractions are within walking distance. Good place to stay for a short tourist visit.

1 Thank Chatsizenarnies
Dear Chatsizenarnies,

Thank you for your review, our location is certainly one of our greatest assets. I am pleased you enjoyed the room and its facilities. Unfortunately due to such a central location in London space is limited, but during our recent referbishment we ensured that the space was carefully selected to ensure a comfortable living space as well as making sure there is enough space for the amenities/ facilities.

Hope to see you again on your next short trip to London.

Royal Tunbridge Wells, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 31, 2012

The accommodation at the hotel was excellent. The room was well sized and modern throughout. Flat screen TV on the wall, tea/coffee facilities in the room, mini-bar, nice, comfy king size bed. The room was very clean. The bathroom was great. No bath, but then I prefer to shower. The shower was walk-in with lots of space. The towels were white and fluffy. The toiletries were good. We had no complaints about the accommodation.

The inclusive continental breakfast was another matter. We queued for a table as it was busy, but I would have expected the hotel to know this based on their bookings. There were a number of dirty tables visible and the staff weren't coping. When we were seated, I asked for a cooked breakfast menu, which I received, but no one came back to check whether I wanted anything. The buffet-style continental breakfast was nearly non-existent. 3 yoghurts to choose from, waiting for orange juice, 2 slices of dried out cheese, little cold meats, virtually no pastries to choose from and a small amount of butter on the table. The plates provided with the breakfast were tiny, about the size of a saucer. We had to take the plate off the table as there were none provided on the buffet. By the time you managed to find a croissant, there was no room on the plate for anything else. At £14.95, I expected a lot more from breakfast.

The hotel was well located with a short walk to Gloucester Road tube station for trains into the West End. There are also restaurants, Tesco and a few other shops very close by. Hyde Park is also a short walk away.

Overall, I would definitely stay here again, but would have breakfast at one of the restaurants in the local area rather than use the hotel's facilities.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Dinkum_71
Dear Dinkum,

Thank you for your review, I am pleased you found your room well sized and that you were happy with our amenities / facilities.

I have spoken with our food and beverage manager regarding your comments about breakfast, he has taken this up with his department and changes have been made accordingly. I sincerely apologise for your breakfast experience and should you decide to return I will ensure you that your experience will be different.

Hope you are enjoying todays snow,

Reviewed December 23, 2012 via mobile

First time I'd stayed here and booked it for a Christmas shopping weekend. The staff are fantastic especially the manager and do anything to help. The rooms are lovely and the beds super comfy. It is in the perfect location for all attractions in London and overall is a modern yet homely hotel for a lovely break.

Dear Rachel,

Thank you very much for your wonderful review, I am glad you enjoyed your room, staff and our location.

Hope you managed to do all of your shopping that weekend, Shopping in London around Christmas time is usually super busy to say the least.

Maybe next time you decide to venture into London you can see a show at the Royal Albert too?

Hope to see you again soon,

Reviewed December 23, 2012

Lovely atmosphere friendly staff. Brilliant location for harrods, walking distance. Waitirise across the road anf Byron 2 minutes walk Nothing a problem for the staff so helpful and pleasant rooms clean with modern bathroom

Dear juliec58

Thank you for your kind review, Im glad you liked our atmosphere and friendly staff. Location is certainly one of our greatest assets.

I hope we set a start for a wonderful new year and look forward to seeing you on your return.

Yorkshire
Reviewed December 21, 2012

I booked an executive studio, for me and my wife plus our 2 year old daughter. The room was a good size and the bathroom was more than big enough. I arrived early and was allowed to check in at 12.30pm rather than 2pm. All the staff were very friendly throughout the stay.

We had a room at the front of the hotel on the 2nd floor and the street noise did not bother us one bit, it wasn't too loud and we slept with the window open no bother. The room was very clean and the only thing letting it down was a large stain on the carpet close to the bathroom door, other than that it all looked quite new, oh and the bed was huge!!

The main downside for me is that there is no free wifi, and consdering a lot of places offer this for free I think the price they were charging was a bit steep, even Travel Inn give you an hour for free to check emails etc.

The location was good for the museums, Knightsbridge, Hyde Park, Royal Albert Hall & High Street Kensington, and the tube station is not even one minutes walk across the road.

I would stay here again and recommend to friends and family.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
JoannaCarruthers, General Manager at Rydges Kensington London, responded to this review, January 3, 2013
Dear Westulltiger,

Thank you for your kind review. I'm glad the room was of suitable size, especially considering there was three of you. I will speak to maintenance and housekeeping regarding the stain in your room to get this resolved. Thank you for making me aware.

Hope to see you again soon should you decide to venture back into London