“'Lovely Hotel'”

Rydges Kensington London
Ranked #380 of 1,078 Hotels in London
Reviewed September 3, 2012

I had the pleasure of staying at Rydges recently. It's location suited my needs perfectly as is so conveniently situated for my outing to The Proms at The Royal Albert Hall. I really like the contemporary and spacious feel of the reception area, and all the hotel personnel who I spoke to were welcoming and very pleasant. My Queen room was perfect for my needs. Stylish, comfortable,spotlessly clean. and in my view excellent value for a London Hotel. I look forward to my next visit ....... Sheila

Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank Sheila F
JoannaCarruthers, General Manager at Rydges Kensington London, responded to this reviewResponded October 9, 2012

Dear Sheila F

Thank you for your glowing review, we are very proud of our newly refurbished hotel so we appreciate your comments on the room and reception area. We look forward to having you stay with us again.

Joanna Carruthers

Write a ReviewReviews (1,191)

Reviewed September 3, 2012

Neat & clean accommodation in a great location. This was our first time to London & we had no idea about transport or whereabouts. We discovered we could travel by tube from heathrow airport to literally across the road from this hotel (circle or district line). So convenient! The tube also gives access to any part of London virtually right from the hotel door step and we felt safe walking around at night near the hotel. No shortage of eating options nearby.

The room we had was well appointed & very quiet despite the hotel being in a busy area. We heard nothing from our room & had good night sleeps. The bathroom was small, but newly renovated & spotlessly clean. Plus, the shower was a generous size with plenty of room to move without bumping elbows on anything. The room itself was rather squeezy, but I imagine that is typical in London.

The only reason I didnt give this hotel 5 stars is because we had no assistance with luggage what so ever, which was difficult as there are many stairs. if not for this, we were very pleased with this hotel.

I do not recommed using the hotel laundry service. It is extremely expensive. Instead, there is a laundrette service further down Gloucester road, about 7 mins walk. A full wash load & fold from this service (I think it is called Annie's) (maybe 30 items ) is the same cost as just 1 item at the hotel.

Room Tip: Our room faced the back of the hotel, away from Gloucester road. We had quiet night sleeps.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
5  Thank lcee01

Dear Icee01

We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us; we certainly do have a great location!

We will take on board your comments regarding assistance with luggage as guests should be helped with this when entering and leaving the hotel, thank you for drawing attention to this issue.

Reviewed September 2, 2012

Stayed here with my daughter in August. We had two rooms. Rooms are comfortable, well maintained, clean, but small with only enough room in a standard king for one suitcase and that was in the way of the door opening. Front desk staff are courteous. After discovering that the a/c in my room was not working well, I was graciously moved to another. Hotel is very well located near tube, grocery stores, banks, restaurants and even a post office. We enjoyed our stay however, a/c does indeed reset itself at night as another reviewer wrote. This happened in both rooms. We did not complain as we figured that the reset was to save energy and just got up at night and turned the temp down again. Also after getting home, received a bill for candy taken from the mini bar. I can assure that we did not remove the candy. The charge is not worth the trouble and cost to call or correspond. Obviously, someone on the room service staff decided to help themselves to some M&M's at our expense!

2  Thank Sam0728

Dear Sam0728,

Thank you for your review, we will certainly be looking into the minibar charge as it is not acceptable for our guests to be charged for items they did not consume.
Thank you for your other positive comments regarding the hotel and its location, we are glad our staff were able to efficiently resolve the a/c issue by offering another room.

We hope to welcome you back to the hotel in future.

Many thanks,

Reviewed August 31, 2012

Just got back from London with my daughter where we celebrated her 16th birthday. Stayed at the Rydges for 6 nights. The hotel is very charming, set along a line of white columned brownstone looking buildings, pretty lobby with a modern twist. We had a full breakfast included which was fantastic and absolutely saved us money. When we arrived and saw our room we were not pleased. The room itself was fine but when I opened the window we had a direct view of a kitchen in the neighboring restaurant. (Avoid first floor rooms) I turned around and went straight out to the lobby and told them that the room was not going to work and they courteously and quickly offered me 3 other room options and allowed me to preview them and choose the one I preferred which I did. The service was great. The rooms were super small but very modern, well equipped and absolutely spotless which is the most important thing to me. The bathroom was luxurious with a waterfall shower and plump towels. Greatest location ever-tube station is a half block away and will get you anywhere. I would definitely book again.

2  Thank monicamom

Dear Monicamom,

Thank you for your comments; it is great to hear that our staff acted quickly and efficiently to resolve your initial room issues. We looked forward to having you stay with us again in future.

Warm Regards,

Reviewed August 28, 2012

We chose to spend our 3 nights in London here because we wanted to visit the Victoria & Albert museum which is a 10 min walk and also the Houses of Parliament and Churchill Cabinet war Rooms in Westminster, a short ride on the underground.
The Underground from Heathrow to Gloucester Rd was easy and the hotel is across the road from Gloucester Rd station.
Reception was friendly, room compact but comfortable with nice bathroom.
An Excellent breakfast was included in the Rydges Priority Guest rate.
The cosy Polo Bar was a welcome place for a drink at the end of each day's exploring London, (although could do without the MTV channel)
Several good affordable restaurants nearby and 10 min walk to Kensington High Street shops.
Will recommend.
Graeme Burt

Room Tip: Room sizes vary,we had a street front room and with double glazing it was very quiet.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Kiwiroo

Dear Kiwiroo,

Thank you for your positive feedback on the Hotel and its facilities, we are glad you enjoyed your stay and appreciate your recommendation.

Reviewed August 23, 2012

Hotel was clean and in a convenient location, but every night I set the thermostat down when I went to bed and woke up at 3 a.m. Because the temp had mysteriously gone up again. I mentioned it to the staff. They said they thought the temp should stay where I set it and said they would send some one to the room to check it. That night and every night, the temp went up again. Although the bed was comfortable, I did not get a good night's sleep.

Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
Merrin J, General Manager at Rydges Kensington London, responded to this reviewResponded August 25, 2012

Dear Margery K

We are sorry to hear about your lack of sleep during your stay with us. It seems very odd that the thermostat would reset itself; this is definitely something that we will have our maintenance team look into.
Thank you for your comments regarding the cleanliness of the hotel, we hope to welcome you back in the future.

Kind Regards
Merrin

Reviewed August 20, 2012

Really loved the hotel and the location on Gloucester road ,close to the T, Kensington gardens ,lots of stores and restaurants .The hotel is charming. ,the stuff very helpful ,cute small bar .
The room was nice and comfortable .The chain offers a reward card , that gives good discounts for room and restaurant

Room Tip: Higher floors have better views
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Merrin J, Manager at Rydges Kensington London, responded to this reviewResponded August 25, 2012

Dear Sole2012

Thank you for your positive review! We work hard to ensure that our Priority Guest Rewards programme is working for our loyal guests so we are glad to hear your comments on this.

Best regards