“Excellent value”

Rydges Kensington London
Ranked #370 of 1,075 Hotels in London
Reviewed February 7, 2012

Wonderful location very near Gloucester Road tube and the Kensington museums. The room and ensuite was very modern and comfortable with high quality fittings. It was smallish, but adequate. Service and breakfast good. The foyer and bar were welcoming and attractive - our only gripe was that the bar closed without warning at 11pm on a Saturday. We had a very fair price for all this and it was excellent value.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
JoannaCarruthers, General Manager at Rydges Kensington London, responded to this reviewResponded February 24, 2012

Dear AOBristol

On behalf of the team at Rydges Kensington London, I would like to thank you for taking the time to post a review about your stay.

It was a pleasure to read that you had an enjoyable time and both the service and surroundings met your expectations.

I appreciate your comment also in relation to the bar closing at 11pm. Unfortunately, due to local Council policies, we are restricted on the hours during which the hotel bar can be open. However, this should have been communicated correctly to you. I will ensure that your comment is addressed with the Food & Beverage Manager to ensure a similar situation does not occur in the future.

I hope we will be able to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

Best regards
Merrin Joseph
Acting General Manager

995 - 1,001 of 1,172 reviews

Reviewed January 21, 2012

While the rooms were new and filled with the latest equipment, the staff lacked common sense !. The doorman watched my daughter struggle with her suitcase up the stairs from the cab to reception. A great welcome. He was just useless on our departure equally unhelp. Point 2. The desk clerk booked/alloted my daughter and I into a single bed room. Now where I come from this is not the normal father daughter sleeping arrangement. Upon my immediate call to reception, I was challenged that my booking for a single- wrong again! The problem was fixed....and a suitable room allocated. Staff training required. Resturant breakfast was nice and a great Indian Resturant located just 50m down the road towards the tube station.

If staying for a short time and you like walking, catch a cab to Piccadilly Circus and walk back to the hotel it's a great way of seeing a lot of great shops including Harrods.

• Stayed: December 2011
JoannaCarruthers, General Manager at Rydges Kensington London, responded to this reviewResponded January 24, 2012

Dear XJM 911,
Thank you for taking the time to place a review on Trip Advisor.
I am pleased that you enjoyed our breakfast in The Jam Cupboard and found plenty on offer in our immediate area. I am however disappointed to read that our staff have not met your expectation. It is clear that further training is required to ensure our reception staff are familiar with the new room types available so to prevent a situation like this occurring again. Thank you once again XJM911 for bringing this to my attention.

Reviewed January 20, 2012

I booked a Premier suite for my 2 daughters and I in November. As our flight was arriving early into London on the Monday morning I booked from the night before, so we could have immediate access to our room. I emailed the Reservation Manager, a week or so before we left Australia to ensure there were no hiccups upon arrival. Upon arrival all had been organised, including a quick checkin, help with the suitcases and a smiley greeting and the sofa bed in the lounge room made up. The Hotel has been recently refurbished and everything was clean and fresh. It is difficult to book a room/suite suitable for 3 adults and I found Rydges excellent value. As with a lot of hotels in the Uk/Europe, even with a suite general space is limited, but for 3 adults it was fine, the bathroom large, with a walk in shower and bath. My daughters loved the toiletries! Housekeeping was excellent, the room was always made up beautifully when we arrived back at the end of the day. Located in Gloucester Road just a stone's throw from the tube and good eateries and a Tesco, it's hard to beat.

Room Tip: If I had been travelling with my husband I would have been very happy with the Premier Suite, as it...
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
4  Thank Vivienne W

Dear Vivienne W,

I was so pleased to read your comments on your recent experience staying with us. I will certainly pass these comments onto the staff .

We look forward to welcoming you and your family back to the hotel on your next trip to London.

Warm Regards

Reviewed January 17, 2012

It can be so hard to find a good hotel in London, I am glad I found the Rydges. The hotel is a few hundred metres from the Gloucester Road tube station with service to the District, Circle and Piccadilly lines (great for Heathrow airport).

I was there on business on my own, and while the room was small, (I knew this in advance of booking) it was perfect as I was only there to sleep. The rooms are all recently refurbished to a high standard.

I found the staff extremely friendly and helpful, and the breakfast was great each morning. I would highly recommend this hotel for any visitor to London.

Room Tip: Single travelers will be given the single business rooms, so if you like a larger room book a double...
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Lukejnr
JoannaCarruthers, General Manager at Rydges Kensington London, responded to this reviewResponded January 18, 2012

Dear Lukejnr,
Thank you for leaving a review of your stay with us. I am delighted that you felt able to leave us a 5/5 rating. I do hope you will be back to stay with us again soon.
Kind Regards
Joanna Carruthers- General Manager

Reviewed December 28, 2011

Spent a night here while on business and it was a very good place to touch down. Super comfortable bed, nice bathroom and toiletries! Service was of a good standard too - although I didn't have much occasion to test that beyond a smooth checkin process.

Room would be a bit small if it was a holiday trip and you wanted lots of room but it certainly wasn't a bad space either - I'd recommend it for sure if you're travelling on business and want somewhere which is well connected travel-wise.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
JoannaCarruthers, General Manager at Rydges Kensington London, responded to this reviewResponded January 6, 2012

Dear liceas,
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel and I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us. Hopefully on your next stay with us you will have the time to enjoy our other facilities within the hotel including The Jam Cupboard restaurant, Polo Bar Kensington or our fitness suite.
I look forward to welcoming you back.
Kind Regards

Reviewed December 23, 2011

I stayed at the Rydges Kensington London Hotel for 5 nights.

Let's talk about the positives first:-
1. Fantastic, modern room with full suite of amenities. The room I stayed in the room was big by London standards and the bed was extremely comfortable. The room also had a dash of quirkiness with its interestingly named toiletries.

2. Outstanding housekeeping service - the staff were efficient and meticulous. They kept the room clean and welcoming every day when I returned to the room.

3. Great location - Gloucester Road Station is just opposite the road, easy to get to Central London (Oxford St, Marble Arch, Picadilly Circus, etc) under 15 min. I was also able to walk to Knightsbridge area (Harrods) in 10 min. Lots of shops and Waitrose, Tesco Express around the hotel too.

Now for the areas of improvement:-
1. Most of which I would say, they need to improve on their customer service. Most of the front desk staff I have met in the past 5 days appeared to be sullen, unresponsive and even at times, dismissive. They really need to at least learn to put on a smile to greet their guests, esp. since they are the first (and sometimes, only) staff the guests meet during their stay. There were 2 exceptions - Monica and Sharon - whom I found to be more attentive, friendly and helpful in answering queries and arranging for support.

2. Internet Connection - Needed to pay 20 pounds for the use of wifi during my 5 days stay at the hotel. However, the internet connection in the room was so bad that I barely had any opportunity to tap on the wifi service when I'm in the room at night. It was impossible to either login to the internet or the pages took a look time to download till the server was uncontactable. I raised this issue several times during my stay to the frontdesk who surfaced it to the IT helpdesk team but the issue had remained unresolved at the end of my stay.

3. Be careful of water supply shortage - Luckily, this only happened on my last day of stay. Apparently, according to the hotel reception, there was a problem in one of the dams of the river thames, hence affecting the water supply of the hotel as well as other buildings in the area. There was no water in the hotel at all for the day, hence making it very inconvenient for guests. Guests who wanted to shower were advised to go to another nearby hotel to use their facilities.

I would stay at this hotel again only for the luxury of its rooms and location, and can only wish for happier-looking and more helpful front desk staff.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with friends
3  Thank Emmanuel L

Dear EmmanuelL,
Thank you for leaving a review of our hotel and we appreciate receiving your feedback.
I am very sorry to hear that you did not find all of our reception staff helpful. I cannot offer any explanation as our staff are normally particularly helpful and guest focused but I will certainly pass on your feedback to the front of house staff so we can focus on improving this area. I am though delighted that both Monika and Sharon were accommodating and I will ensure that they receive this feedback from you.
Unfortunately a number of residential homes and businesses were affected in the Gloucester Road and Kensington area with limited water supply for a short period of time. The issue was due to a mains water pipe leak which is the responsibility of Thames Water. I hope that you took advantage of the complimentary bottled water and showering facilities at a nearby hotel that the hotel extended to guests but I hope that you understand that the water situation was completely out of the control of the hotel.
I am delighted that you loved our clean and newly refurbished rooms as well as location and I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel to show you the real value of our reception staff.

Best Regards

Reviewed December 16, 2011

The hotel is handily located just a minute or two from Gloucester Road tube station. It has recently been refurbished and is very nicely designed and pristine. The breakfast was very good indeed. Unfortunately I was allocated what must be the smallest (single) room I have ever stayed in. The single bed - which was extremely uncomfortable (a shame given that they make a big thing about how great their beds are!) - barely fitted into the room. On the basis of the room size/bed I couldn't recommend this hotel, which is a shame as overall it is very pleasant.

• Stayed: December 2011