“Basic but great stay”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Basic but great stay”
Reviewed July 27, 2014 via mobile

Booked this hotel for a night in London for husbands birthday. It's right around the corner from euston train station/under ground and a 5 min walk form kings cross.

Room was basic, no good view out of window but I didnt stay there to look at the view. Clean and very comfortable bed, pillows were very plump and comfortable. Bathroom was also clean and shower works great.

Staff are very nice and polite and the lobby area is beautiful, nice decor and very modern.

I would definitely stay here again when staying in London.

Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
IBIS LONDON E, General Manager at Ibis London Euston St Pancras, responded to this review, August 21, 2014
I’m so glad that you had an enjoyable time during your stay at ibis London Euston in London. I hope we can welcome you back to the property in the near future.
Kind regards,
Human Resources and Administrative Co-ordinator

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (432)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Honiara, Solomon Islands
Reviewed July 24, 2014

I don't like London. It's hot, sweaty, noisy and crowded. At least it doesn't smell as much as it used to. I can see, however, that it's exciting and has more life and wondrous things in it than the rest of England put together. On a steaming, sweaty summer evening there's a thrill to be in Trafalgar Square and The Strand immersed in the milling crowds as you walk from watching Richard III's blood-soaked crimes at the Trafalgar Studios to Charing Cross underground station.
That's why I was in London - a visit to the theatre. And I'd brought a friend with me - Lucy The Labrador - who, by the way, was too young and too canine to be allowed to see the play. Arranging the trip, given my feelings about London, was fraught with anxiety - I needed somewhere to stay which is dog-friendly, clean, comfortable, as inexpensive as one may reasonably expect for London, was close to somewhere green so that Lucy could go for a walk and do her necessary actions and close to Euston Station so that I would not have to travel far with the dog on a transport service that has always been a mystery to me.
I trawled the Internet for dog friendly hotels, coming close to fainting once or twice at the appalling price of rooms in some of the hotels I found and eventually settled on the Ibis London Euston St. Pancras. I had some questions about its suitability for my companion and me and phoned the hotel and spoke to an excellent, cheerful, polite and helpful receptionist there and made my booking.
I was extremely pleased with my decision. Just one or two minutes walk from Euston, easily found using the instructions Ibis send me, and an exceptionally pleasant and helpful greeting from the staff at the desk. The room was extremely satisfactory - given the price of rooms in most other hotels I had investigated this was comfortable and functional and bright and pleasant with a very satisfactory bathroom with a bath and shower. Everything was very clean. There was free wi-fi. Once we settled in I asked the reception staff about green spaces to take Lucy to and they could not have been more helpful. In fact St. James Gardens is immediately next to the hotel (a few seconds walk away) - a rather small area where the dog should be kept on a lead but useful for quick dog exercise and we were about 10 minutes walk from Regents Park where the dog was able to have a good long wander off the lead and enjoy all the things that a dog enjoys which will forever remain a mystery to us.
On returning from the theatre, I had a late evening snack in the hotel bar (served by a charming and pleasant bar assistant) and Lucy was able to sit with me and share some crisps and then went to bed and we both had a good night's sleep - I found the bed to be firm and comfortable. Before retiring, with St. James Gardens shutting at 9PM, I took Lucy the 1 or 2 minutes walk to Euston Square for her pre-bed necessities but the Gardens next door open at 7.30PM so the first duties of the day were easily accomplished at a convenient time.
The hotel really is immensely convenient - a minute or so from Euston Underground which meant that it took just about 10 minutes or so to get to Charing Cross for the theatre. Also a minute or so from a Sainsbury's store so any little items one may want are easily obtained and the surrounding area has numerous restaurants - I noted lots of south Asian restaurants in particular for those who fancy a curry.
So, in summary, for travellers in general and for those who wish to bring their dogs to London, this hotel is excellent for the price - self-proclaimed "budget" so no luxuries but really I wouldn't want to pay more for somewhere elsewhere given its additional excellent location for travel amenities and spaces to take the dog. The staff are exceptional, the rooms are clean and comfortable and the hotel itself is very pleasant. If you are bringing a dog to London and don't want to pay the earth then this is the hotel to stay (I think that's also true even if you don't have a dog).
I liked it so much that it made me like London a little more than I used to and reduced my Londonphobia. Next time there's a play I want to come and see then this is the hotel for me especially as I can bring a man's best friend with me. As for Lucy, well she didn't say a lot but I think she quite enjoyed her dog's day in London. She certainly made it clear how much she liked the hotel's friendly staff.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
4 Thank white_knight_and_dog
Michael B, General Manager at Ibis London Euston St Pancras, responded to this review, July 25, 2014
Thank you for leaving your thoughts in this website, We are really happy to hear you an Lucy enjoy your time at ibis London Euston, as you mentioned already, we are proud of being a dog-friendly place to stay and we are happy to met your expectations, I will certainly pass on your comments to my team. I know that they will be delighted to learn that their efforts have been appreciated and remembered.
Best Regards,
Pablo Dopacio
Human Resources and Administrative Co-ordinator.
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 23, 2014 via mobile

This French chain does definitely not deliver luxury. The towels are thinner than the carpets and the decor in th bedrooms and corridors is completely basic. The bed which is after all the most important single item is very comfortable and the shower room is functional and unusual. The price is wrong London or no London 163 smackers for this is not good value. Michael Paul

• Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Michael P
Many thanks for letting us know your thoughts, and rest assured we will look into this matter. .
With kind regards,
carmel25
Reviewed July 23, 2014

Stayed at the Ibis for one night due to seeing a concert at Wembley. The location is perfect, practically inside Euston station, so would be a great base for sight seeing.

Upon arrival at the Ibis on the Saturday afternoon we were met with huge check in queues. I had already completed the 'pre-check in' service offered online (which is designed to speed up the process) so was pretty confused when I still had to queue, I thought there might have been some other system in place for those who had already checked in details online. The staff were perfectly pleasant.

The room was basic, quite small but okay for a base. When entering the room there was a horrid smell coming from the bathroom, seemed like the drains or sewage. I would usually ask to move, but I wanted to get to Wembley sharpish, so didn't bother. Luckily when we arrived back later that night the smell had gone.

Breakfast was the real highlight of our stay, it was beautiful. The buffet was all freshly made and well kept (covered) and there was plenty of choice. The restaurant was lovely, although quite small, I can imagine there would be a problem finding somewhere to sit at peak times. Breakfast is served until 12pm was was fab!

Another plus point was the later check out- 12pm! A very unique selling point!

I would stay here again, but as I've said before, only to use as a base. It is quite pricey for one night, but putting it into perspective, it's reasonable for London!

Room Tip: Avoid peak check in times (12-1pm) Buy a day travel ticket for the train instead of individual ti...