“Just a Holiday Inn now?”

Holiday Inn Oxford Circus
Ranked #630 of 1,069 Hotels in London
Derbyshire
“Just a Holiday Inn now?”
Reviewed January 15, 2009

I stayed at the Holiday Inn this week after it was designated as the hotel for a conference I was speaking at. I didn't think it was as bad as some of the reviews but it clearly needs a refurb. My room (196) was an odd shape with what seemed to be Austin Powers type beds that would fold into the wall. That might explain why there were no bedside lights - indeed no lighting at all other than in the ceiling. I didn't eat there though having seen some of the reviews and there is no shortage of other places to eat nearby. The location is excellent for the West End and shopping trips to London. Its not The Waldorf but what do you expect in London for these prices?

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Its looking tired
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (168)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
Kolkata (Calcutta), India
Reviewed December 12, 2008

We stayed at Holiday Inn Welbeck Street for 5 nights from 2/12/2008 and really enjoyed our stay.
This is the best possible location.
Paid 39 GBP for a taxi from Heathrow terminal 3.
Kings Cross station is 10 GBP by Taxi.
Bond street tube is very near, Oxford street is a few steps away.
Big bus stop is 5 minutes walk.

The Breakfast was great, however it was exactly the same on all 5 days, no change in menu but still great.
I had limited interaction with the staff and they were polite.
A great place to stay

• Liked — Location & Food
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
Warwickshire
Reviewed December 11, 2008

The hotel is on a quiet road right behind the Debenhams on Oxford St so the location is perfect for a shopping weekend. Bond St is the nearest tube and it was no more than a 5minute walk from there.

We arrived at 11.30am on saturday and we pleased to find that we could check in there and then. Reception staff were friendly. The hotel is fairly small with only one lift but we never had to wait long. Our twin room on the 3rd floor was fairly small but lacked for nothing. The bathroom was excellent with a very powerful shower. Everything was very clean, no complaints at all.

The breakfast buffet was good, although some things could have been a little warmer. Good selection of fruits, pastries, cereals etc if you didn't want to go for the full cholesterol overloaded full english!

Overall, would recommend to anyone looking for a quiet, centrally located hotel.

• Liked — The location - so close to the shops you could go back and drop off your purchases if you were too overloaded!
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
North Carolina
Reviewed September 16, 2008

I recently stayed in the Holiday Inn, Welbeck Street. After checking out I realized that I had left some jewelry in the hotel room safe. When I contacted the hotel and my daughter went to the hotel to collect items, they denied any knowledge of them and said that I had made a mistake and left them somewhere else! The manager and staff were unhelpful and seemed to think it was unimportant that the safe had been opened and my belongings stolen. According to the manager it was not possible that someone working for the hotel had opened the safe and that there was nothing more I could expect them to do. It is the worst feeling in the world to realize that your belongings especially sentimental items such as a necklace and bracelet set from my husband for our 30th anniversary was just gone. I would normally only have these items at home but I was travelling back from a wedding and then on the see my sister in Spain and I wanted to have some of my nice things to wear on this important trip. I still cannot fully understand that my jewelry has just disappeared and that the hotel is quite content that one of its guest should be treated in this manner. I would avoid this hotel at all costs because it was obviously someone who works there and it is apparently condoned by the management.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — hotel staff who steal
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Travelers are raving about these London hotels

Sheffield, England
Reviewed August 27, 2008

Booked this on line on Holiday Inns website. Excellent offer 2 nights B&B plus one nights evening meal for 170 pounds, great value for London. Have stayed in a few Holiday Inns in London, (Kensington Forum, Heathrow and Mayfair), this one compares well.

Arrived at 2pm Friday, no queue. Little interaction from the desk, no how was your journey here? Welcome to our hotel, but efficient (also didn't ask how many card keys I required). Reception area well set out, bar/tourist information by the reception desk.

We were allocated a twin room on third floor (room 390), the corridor outside our room smelt of mildew or something similar. There was an ice dispenser at the end of our corridor, which came in helpful for keeping drinks cool. Room was larger than anticipated - and was pleasantly surprised. Probably about 10 foot high walls, plenty of space to move around in. Furnishings were a little tired, and the ceiling paper was showing signs of damage, but all in all a comfortable room. View of private flats opposite (I had requested a quiet room), Good aircon, double glazing and windows opened if required. Puzzled by the fact the room had an ashtray even though it was non-smoking. No mini bar in room, but room did have a safe. Bathroom was small, but a full length bath and good water pressure on shower and bath. Bathroom toiletries more holiday express than holiday inn (ie lux shower gel and shampoo combined in one dispenser on wall). Enough wardrobe space for a couple of nights (small single wardrobe).

Had problems with the room next to us making far too much noise far too late at night, but one call to the duty manager sorted that out, which I appreciated grately.

Breakfast was OK on Saturday at 945 am, but barely warm bacon. Asked straight away if wanted tea/Coffee, and the pot was on my table by the time I came back from getting fresh fruit. Sunday at 0830 much better. and hotter items. Wide variety of choice, and you can ask for eggs done another way if you don't like scrambled/fried. Evening meal which was included was actually a carvery/self service, starter of salad or soup, main course plenty of choice for meat eaters, (lamb/beef, canelloni, beef pie, beef mince, chicken in a white wine sauce) less so for veggies (1 dish of a stuffed aubergine). You could go back for as much as you like. We went for our meal at 630pm, and there was no one else there, the waiting staff kept their distance, and I didn't feel as though they were rushing us. I asked a waiter why it was so empty and he said it got busier after 8pm. Desserts were not so interesting (cheesecake, chocolate torte, fresh fruit salad, icecream).

There is an ASK just around the corner from the hotel if you fancy Pizza/Pasta/Italian.

But it is hard to beat the location for the price. The location is nearer Bond St station than Oxford circus, behind Debenhams, on a quietish road.

All in all I would stay here rather than the Holiday Inn Kensington Forum as my room was much larger and the aircon more efficient. Not to mention it is a much smaller hotel.

• Liked — larger than average room size
  • Disliked — could here next door loud and clar.
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank Lucy
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed August 4, 2008

After reading through the other replies, I was quite nervous about staying at this hotel but I was very surprised. It's location is brillent. Right beside Oxford Street and Bond Street Tube Station.
We arrived early to the hotel and our room was ready. No problems at reception. Room was grand. Much better than what was mentioned on these reviews. We asked for different pillows which they offer and they arrived very quickly. Didn't eat in the hotel but had a drink or two at the bar and staff was very pleasant. Ok the hotel probably needs a bit of updating but for the price of the room, it's excellent value for something so central. I'm going back to London and was going to even go back here but have decided to try the holiday inn mayfair as we got them nearly for the same rate but would have defo recommend this if you're staying just a night or two in London.

• Liked — Price and Location
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank emski-D
Cheshire, U.K.
Reviewed May 27, 2008

I have used the Holidays Inn Oxford Circus for a number of years, both for myself and my overseas clients. The latest stay was on May 21st for two nights.

I have always found the staff to be friendly and helpful. The multi-lingual check-in staff may ruffle a few English feathers, but in a city such as London it is almost a necessity, and a little patience on the part of those checking in does not cost any extra.

This is by no means a six star hotel, but it is clean, well maintained and excellent value for money in a good central location. You could stay at the Dorchester for an excessive amount, but every hotel room looks the same when you are asleep.

We had a pleasant medium sized double room. Newly refurbished, with a superb powerful shower in a nice clean bathroom. The restaurant is perfectly acceptable. The menu is not extensive, but the roast beef and Yorkshire Pudding was really good and ideal for our American friends, who wanted a taste of Old England. There are plenty of overpriced, pretentious restaurants in London and if you are looking for gourmet “designer” food, then the choice is yours, but if you want a simple, good and decent meal then this hotel offers just that.

I was somewhat puzzled by a comment in a previous review, about the breakfast. Whilst the restaurant can get busy at times, we never waited more than a few minutes for a table, and as breakfast is a buffet arrangement, if he got a burnt sausage then it must have been of his own choosing. We have always found the breakfast to be more than satisfactory, with a good choice of cold meats, fruit etc and traditional hot English breakfast items.

In the course of my travels throughout the year, I stay in all manner of places, from farmhouse b&bs to luxury hotels, and I can honestly say that in my experience this hotel has no cause to worry about poor reviews. There is alway someone who enjoys a good complaint, so I hope that these few lines even the score a little.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — The obnoxious French woman ranting at the staff.
  • Stayed July 2008
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank pahx2