“Really quite horrible!” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #522 of 1,069 Hotels in London
East Midlands
“Really quite horrible!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2013

Stayed for one night Monday 15th July for business reasons.
The location of the hotel is good for London, 3 minutes walk from Bond Street tube but far enough down Welbeck Street to be surprisingly quiet.
Was greeted at reception by an extremely pleasant young woman.
Had breakfast delivered to the room the following morning and it was very good.
That's were the good stuff ends I'm afraid.
The room, whilst spacious by London standards was just horrible. Tatty, smelly, faded, just old and drab and horrible. For £200 a night I just didn't expect that crap.
Walls were paper thin, so be warned - take ear plugs. I didn't, so had to resort to stuffing toilet paper in my ears to have any hope of sleeping through the noise from Egyptians in the rooms on BOTH sides of me. I've lived with and worked with Egyptians and love them. But they will admit themselves that they are extremely loud whether it's 3 in the afternoon or 3 in the morning. Not the hotel's fault of course, but as I said, the walls are paper thin. You can hear people having a wee in the next door bathroom!
I would possibly stay here again for the convenience factor - IF IT WAS £50 PER NIGHT!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Oxford Circus, responded to this review, November 16, 2013
Dear madlycurious,

Ferdinand G
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (153)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013

I have stayed here a number of times on business and was last there on 28th October.Reception was friendly and efficient as usual and as I am in the IHG Rewards Club, I was allocated room 691 on the 6th floor. The room was spacious and comfortable with well appointed modern fittings and all appliances worked. The bathroom was spotless. I had an excellent night's sleep and was woken efficiently by my arranged call. The selection at breakfast was comprehensive and porridge was freshly made. The hotel is very convenient to Oxford Street and public transport and could not be more convenient for me as my business commitment was just around the corner. I will certainly continue to use it in the future.

4 Thank DLFD
Westgate on Sea
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2013

I stay in this hotel roughly once a month for business and everything about it is average- the service is nothing to write home about, the rooms need attention - they are all very shabby. I suppose the only redeeming factors are the closeness to Oxford Street and the price we pay. I f I paid full rake rate for this hotel I would complain.

Room Tip: If you want a double room make sure you are really explicate when booking - most double rooms have t...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Mary S
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Oxford Circus, responded to this review, November 13, 2013
Dear Mary S,

Ben J
Stratford-upon-Avon, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013

I use the HI Oxford Circus frequently through my job. I have to say that the staff are always excellent. There is never a queue at the desk and your needs are always dealt with when identified.
My slight annoyance this week whilst I was there for two nights is that the air con in the room did notwork at all. I understand that this happens, but when you nare paying what you do and check in at 23:00 after a long day, I do not think i should have to point out the obvious. Also i cannot believe that this hotel does not have an iron in the room.
Other than this, the hotel is very good I suppose but the basic amenity levels are not as good at the Thistle in Euston as an example which is cheaper?
Sorry to be negative when the staff are so good but IHG need to invest here... i know its always busy but it wont be if this is not addressed at some point.

I hope this helps you improve

1 Thank Hospitalitygav007
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Oxford Circus, responded to this review, November 11, 2013
Dear Hospitalitygav00,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your thoughts and comments regarding your stay with us. It is our pleasure to accommodate our guests needs the best way we can and we are so pleased you were satisfied with the service you received from our staff. We apologize for any inconvenience experienced due to the room amenities. Rest assured that your comments will be reviewed by our team and take actions accordingly.

Thank you again for your feedback and we hope to have another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Karen C
Wakefield, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013

I stayed here in April 2009 and had a terrible stay. I returned recently and thought things would have changed.....sadly not. The hotel is nicely placed near Oxford Street which is convenient.

Checked in and quite a good experience - the staff member was friendly. I was staying for two nights and was allocated room 177. The room was spacious for sure, the worn tired looking chair and table said it all. The walls were heavily marked and dirty and the AC unit was dripping water. I asked about moving but was told the hotel was full and it was not possible. The bathroom was clean (thankfully) but very basic and the shower gel had not been refilled....which was not an issue as I had my own.

A flat screen TV was in the room but looked out of place in the dated surroundings but was welcome none the less. The plug sockets did not work and the whole room just needs work. In fact, the whole hotel looks like it needs work, it's dated and tired looking throughout.

I had a room service breakfast and dinner but both though generous portions really lacked anything else - bland and boring.

All night long you could hear doors closing, banging and at one point was disturbed by the hotel staff because water was pouring out into the floor below and they were trying to secure the source, that's fine but no apology and nothing heard about it.

My room overlooked the front but I wasn't disturbed by traffic noise which was good. In short, a really disappointing stay. It's expensive but you are paying for the location. The hotel needs a refurb in my opinion and the staff need direction to improve the customer experience.

I will avoiding in future.

Room Tip: Rooms at the front are subject to some traffic noise.
2 Thank Holliday
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Oxford Circus, responded to this review, November 12, 2013
Dear Holliday,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay. It is unfortunate the accommodations you received prevented you from fully enjoying your time at the hotel. We take all of the reviews we received very seriously. We have shared your comments with the staff and we’re confident the necessary adjustments will be made, in order to achieve complete guest satisfaction.

Adrian D
IHGCare

Travelers are raving about these London hotels

Ballymena, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2013

Only 1 girl at reception was nice, the rest need completely retrained as they are so rude!! Concierge, why bother having them as they watched me struggle up the steps with case and laptop case! Thankfully my room was good, looked like it had been recently refurbished, very clean with shower over bath. Breakfast very busy but kept well stocked and food has definitely improved since last year. Excellent location hence the price!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013 via mobile

This is the worst holiday Inn I've ever stay in.The price is very high for the smallest room I ever see. We ask for a twin bed room and they gave us one double and small room. The people in the front desk doesn't care about this and they answer in a rude way.
The internet is super expensive and the people at the front desk doesn't even now how to use it. The bathroom is very small and the water flows out of the shower while you are in. The shower gel was empty on the first day and we had to ask them to fill it. That's not the definition of a 4 stars hotel. Terrible experience!

Stayed October 2013
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Oxford Circus, responded to this review, October 29, 2013
Dear Veronica B,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay. It is unfortunate the room layout prevented you from fully enjoying your time at the hotel. We are confident the necessary adjustments will be made, in order to achieve complete guest satisfaction.

Ben J